FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby bottleslingguy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:57 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Sorry, embarassed is the closest I could get. Is there a remorseful emoticon?

Postby Michelle » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Maybe its time for a better conversation starter. You next Road Show?

Postby Road Show » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:29 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Ok....

I don't think I could live without Sanjaya stumbling through the weekly cuts on American Idol.

Seriously, any thoughts on inventions that could prevent a tragedy such as the one this week at Virginia Tech? Could guns be made with a computer chip in them similar to a Lojack so they could be traced, or at least viewed on a screen available to law enforcement??

RSG

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:03 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

The VT issue will probably never go away as long as there are mentally ill, violent criminals in our society. Oh yes, AND guns, but the guns won't go away any time soon either. But take away guns and they'll make pipebombs or use some other method. Personally I feel if more students were armed they'd've had a better chance. But that's not going to happen either...

Poor Sanjaya :cry: Anyone seen him shopping for a gun lately? Where's my RedBull?

Postby Road Show » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:39 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

You're right BSG...there is no way to protect against terrorism, which is what this really is about. Whatever the motivation, these idiots will not stop until they have exacted their revenge on society or whomever they feel has wronged them. If not guns, then bombs. If not bombs, then an automobile to mow over the innocents. The only good thing, if there is to be anything good in this, is that we have a very long way to go before we are living in the same conditions as those in Iraq...if that can be considered any consolation.

Peace.

RSG

Postby Michelle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:57 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I think one of the things we could do, not to eliminate the violence but manage it bettr, would be better education.

This whole american society runs so hard on the glamorization of violence. If we could tone it down and make it seem less sexy, I think it could help.

I look now at drinking and riving for example. With education, many more people think that drinking and driving is not cool and something to be careful about. It does not eliminate it, but it does make it seem less cool and more stupid. It would be interesting to see the stats and see if all of this awareness has actually reduced the percentages of people seriously hurt or killed by drunk drivers since the change in societal perceptions.

rant

Postby Roger Brown » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:15 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

If you want a number of these issues to be resolved or lessened we need to quit being politically correct and more strict in our punishment. Look at how many people are given chance after chance or the teens that basically spit in adults faces. They all know that they will get a slap on the wrist at most. There is no deterent for them to fear. Life in prison is not life in prison if you are eligible for parole after 7 years. They should just tell you that you are sentenced to 7 years.
I know 3 separate parents that had their children call DSS and reported the parents for abuse. None of the parents were guilty of the charge. One did it because the parent took away his PlayStation, another because the parents found drugs in his room and took him to drug consueling and the last was pissed because she couldn't go to a party where the parents knew there would be older teens, drinking and no adults were going to be there.
I agree we need laws to protect those that are truly being harmed, but it seems that it is being abused more than helpful. I know parents afraid to correct their child in public due to having someone claim they are abusing the child. A former co-worker got a call from the elementary school about his child being disruptive and beligerent to the teacher. The dad took the child in a side room and spanked the child telling him to behave and finish out the day in school. He went to work and was arrested later that day. The asst. principal called the police and reported the Dad for spanking the child. The charges were later dropped, but not until after it ran in the local papers for a week. That is the society we are fostering today.

Lack of respect rules in todays teens because we let it.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Michelle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Michelle
Black Belt

That is interesting as I heard the same thing about spanking a child for trying to set fire to a friends house.

She aas afraid to give him a spanking as fear that as soon as child mentioned getting hit, the parents would be thought of as child abusers and put in jail.

I thought she was just making excuses but now it rings more true.

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:22 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I'm pro-spanking, just ask my son. His sister has had her share also but I believe there is a window of opportunity for when it is effective. It can be taken to extremes though and then we're talking about something else. Another thing about spanking is that once it's lost it's effectivenss you might as well just slap yourself. It serves no purpose other than allowing the parent to blow off steam.

My advice as a parent is to do your best to keep them guessing and not be able to anticipate HOW you are going to react to their misbehavior. You have to catch them off guard and use that moment of clarity to get your message across rather than hitting them to make your point. You also have to be vigilant in not letting them slide for the same behavior they were spanked for so it's a slippery slope once you take the spanking route. I mean where does it end???? I'LL TELL YOU WHERE IT ENDS MR WISEGUY!!!! :!:

Postby scrapbookdi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:51 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

I also agree with spanking. I work with two women whose childen are much younger than mine. My son is 27 and got plenty of spankings but I think it made him a better person. These women don't spank and I cannot believe what I hear them saying. Like, "we can't got here or there because "Sam" might have a meltdown." Or they don't correct their children when they think a month is a week because the kid will get upset. How are they ever going to deal with the real world if you don't correct them in a nice, pleasant way when they are 4 years old????
PreviousNext