FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

California Wildfires

Postby Michelle » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I am feeling horrible for all those people whose houses have been destroyed in the fire in California.

I hope everyone is doing ok. :(

Postby bottleslingguy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:16 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I just hope they rebuild using all available fire resistant/proof materials. Is there such a thing as a fire-proof house that can withstand an inferno for over an hour or so?

Postby key on the kite » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:51 am

key on the kite
Yellow Belt

bottleslingguy wrote:I just hope they rebuild using all available fire resistant/proof materials. Is there such a thing as a fire-proof house that can withstand an inferno for over an hour or so?

They could build more houses out of brick and concrete, but then they'd not flex during earthquakes.

A coworker of mine lives in one of the areas that burned. Luckily the fire didn't get to his house. He said that part of the problem has to do with the environmentalists not allowing dead trees to be cut down. They dry out and make great kindling.

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:28 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

It would be a great opportunity for these fire resistant technologies to show us what they got. It would be crazy to not at least use some more radical designs in these areas. Have you seen the designers building homes out of recycled shipping containers? They could be built so fireproof people would probably be safer staying inside the home even if they were completely surrounded by the fire. Did you hear about the couple who spent 3 hrs in their pool and survived? Those pesky envirnomentalists lose their common sense now then don't they? I think it would be cool to rebuild with a predominant home building design throughout the entire fire prone regions of ultra fireproof buildings. Let the place burn naturally (ahem?!) and the enviros have their way.

Pools could be used as reservoirs for the wind powered sprinkler system to wet the entire area around the homes. If the winds are strong as they are to fuel a fierce fire like these the turbines would have no problem pumping the pool water.

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Now would be a good time to think of a way to build fireproof homes that withstand earthquakes. It would make a lot of sense for insurance companies to mandate that homes burned downed by wildfires could only be rebuilt out of some flame-proof design.

I'm thinkin'...tires! :twisted:

Who's ready to vote?

Postby Road Show » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Maybe a "Guardian Angel" for the house? :roll:

RSG

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:58 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Road that's what I was getting at with the windturbine/pumping out the pool. If the winds are blowing at a minimum of thirty mph to fan the flames they could turn a turbine and pump out the pool to wet at least the surrounding area at the most critical point in time of the fire's advance. And if the home is built out of recycled shipping containers with fire insulation to protect the occupants, they'd never have to evacuate. Even if the house is engulfed for several hours they could be made to incorporate proper technologies in order to survive on reserve air. Clearing brush would still be neccessary at least up to the point where the enviros start crying.

check out these designs:

http://www.containerarchitecture.co.nz/ ... index.html

Hey who likes Ron Paul?

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Those are pretty cool designs. I wonder if they cost much less than regular homes.

I'm not sure they'd be any better in a fire, though. The heat would conduct through the sides and into the living area, thus cooking the family like so many drumsticks. It depends on just how the flash is started on homes in wildfires, I guess.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:56 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65C9OLvmjpI

The containers are made of thick gauge steel and can be coated on the inside with enough insulation to allow a family to survive a fire. Build the containers on top of a basement and the outside would get scorched but the structure would not collapse. I'm sure it could work. The fires don't stick around very long especially with the high winds. But once the house catches it can burn for hours. So the pool could be used to wet the immediate area surrounding the homes suppressing the fire's impact and the house would withstand the intial blaze. It would protect the family and not cook them inside. Either way the family could still evacuate and come back to a blackend yet standing home.

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:10 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Good article.

I see what you're saying.
Next