FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

San Jose: Avoiding the Presentation Frazzle Factor.

Postby BurbankGal » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:22 am

BurbankGal
White Belt

By my third presentation, I "had it figured out".

The most important thing I did to be not-so-frazzled was to have EVERYTHING that I was going to take into the Judging Panel ready to go. And by that, I mean ALL the bits'n'pieces that would be necessary to the Presentation, and NOTHING ELSE.

When you walk into the room, you should be carrying:

* your prototype
* your paperwork

and NOTHING ELSE. Leave A-L-L your extranious stuff outside the room! (Don't worry: no one is going to filch your stuff. :roll: )

Yes, you are alloted time to set-up, BUT worrying about taking up too much time setting up will contribute to the Frazzle Factor.

Here are my suggestions for a "clean" entrance & presentation, that may leave you with extra time on the clock:

* Take in ONLY the essentials of your presentation.
* If possible, have your prototype in one hand, your paperwork in the other. If you need to carry in your prototype in a box, have the LID OFF or the FLAPS UP.
* Start talking within two steps of entering the room. That's as far as you'll get before you are asked for your paperwork, anyway, so you might as well use that time to your advantage. As you are striding towards the Judge's Table with your outstretched hand holding your paperwork, introduce yourself & state your Registrant Number.
* Set-up your prototype on the table. Don't talk during this time = one of the Panel might start the timer.
* When you are set-up, say so: "Okay, I'm ready!" and START TALKING IMMEDIATELY. This will afford you another few seconds before the Timer is set. ;)

to Burbank Gal

Postby Mrsb » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:20 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

Hi there and what do you mean by "the third presentation"? My sister and I went to the Atlanta, GA on January 12th and (we are hoping that we are the finalists for Georgia) but first we went in to the first preliminary judges and then we recieved the word that we got "yes's" then we went to the green room for taping, did the taping (and we wish we had followed some of your guidelines) but that was it, we only had two presentations- so I am confused. Well, thanks in advance of any reply and good luck to you also! (and Congratulations)

Postby BurbankGal » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:27 pm

BurbankGal
White Belt

I presented three inventions.

Thank you Burbank Gal

Postby Mrsb » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

Thank you, I just finished reading most of the everyday edisons's posts and saw that you had three that were not accepted. Sorry. Keep trying though. If I had anymore really good ideas, I might try to take one to another show but I am keeping my fingers crossed for the product that my sister and I have already "put mone on".

Postby citizen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:08 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

Mrsb...could you give us some insight on your experiences?

Jason

our day with EE

Postby Mrsb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

I don't know if I have any insights about the experience but here is my take on it: January 12th, we arrived there early (about 5:00 a.m.) just in case there was a line starting (there was) we were in the first 50 to go in the building. My sister and I had the paperwork all filled out (typed) and in a folder with a clear front. Everyone in line seemed very nice also and most wanted to talk or visit. (Though some did not want to speak about their idea)- My sister and I had a display and we have patents.
The crew was wonderful, we were let in the building a bit early because it was chilly outside and we stayed in order as we lined up by the "registration" table. We were impressed with the fact that we had turned in our paperwork by 7:30 and got into the "edison" line by 8:00 a.m. The first judges did cut us off right at 2 minutes, did not ask any questions and by the time we walked into the other room with the display, we were being congratulated! We then were instructed to go into the "green room" and off we went! The room did not fill up very fast and we had to wait a couple of hours for our paperwork to come back to this room.
after the paperwork was turned into the "green room" , we were then instructed to go into the room where the taping was. I now wish we had a small sign that had our corporation name and the name of our product but too late now. I was very nervous and the crew was lovely and tried to calm me down. Makeup was "patted" on and the mike was put on us. Then I wish I had a more polished presentation, better figure, etc but I muddled through. Our product really had some more benefits to it but we did it and then we were congratulated. We are very glad that we went to this event and hope that we will be chosen for the regional "winners".
I just know that this experience was (while I was nervous) a wonderful opportunity that I am so happy we attended.
That was exciting and now the waiting is another hard part but we are very hopeful.

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Congratulation! Sounds like you did well at Atlanta. You didn’t mention that you would need two votes out of three judges to pass the final filming stage as I went through. Did they start that at San Jose? And you mentioned a female judge which we don't have her. It looks like they changed a bit from site to site. I know that they had 7 finalist selected at both season one and two. Do you know how many got elected at Atlanta? Are we going to have second round when they finish casting at all location? Sorry, I didn’t catch season one or two except last few episodes of season 2.

Postby Average Inventor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:51 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

They pick an average of 25-35 per city to go in front of the judges and out of that they pick about 20, on average, per city, to make it to the next round. They weed out a few by doing more due diligence during the time between casting calls but basically they will have about 70-80 people left when all the city's have been cast. Then they narrow that number down to 50 and from there they weed it down at last to the final ...14 (that was what they did last year)

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:20 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

How many ideas will be commercialized? Only the final 14? Or 50?
How many of them will be seen on TV? 50? or all 80?

Postby BurbankGal » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 am

BurbankGal
White Belt

"How many of them will be seen on TV? 50? or all 80?"

So what you're saying, makeworldbetter, is that you entered the Edisons' challenge without having a clue as to how the show works???
:roll:
Next