FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

All who are chosen for "finalist" considerations

Postby Mrsb » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:21 am

Mrsb
White Belt

I am adding this subject so that anyone who makes it to final consideration can post, tell their stories and updates.
We would love to hear it, tell us which casting call you attended, how the morning went, how the filming went and possibly which companies you met with? also, how many were chosen to leave their prototypes, etc. Then if anyone recieves notification after recieving that lovely "congratulations" letter about being considered for the season!
Thanks to all

Postby makeworldbetter » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:37 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

I live at San jose and of course I went for San Jose casting call.
I have Gold Pass which proven worth every penny. I got there around 6:30 and right before 7AM, few crew came out and start collect Gold Pass inventors. After waiting for a while, we were brought upstairs to a small line and started the interview process right away. I jumped over about 200 people with Gold Pass, by the time door opens, there are at least 300 people in line.

I went through the preliminary panel and they have a computer screen to displace the list who advances to 2nd stage. My name was shown on that screen after about 20minutes of waiting. then I forwarded to Green room waiting to be filmed. That's about another 30minutes of waiting. Then the sound guy installed mic on me, more waiting while they put make up on the judges. There are three judges, you need to get at least two yeses to pass. I got all three, Wooohoo! Now you see why PopSci is also interesting at this one. Before I go, they hand me the congratulation letter. Which says they will do more reviws and the result wil be out by June 31.

My invention is retro-fitting LED light bulb. I had few stuns for the judges, despite I was nervous like hell, I managed to do all my points and I think this idea practically blow everyone away.

Upon to my exit, the nice sound crew came up to me and said this invention is meant for this show Everyday Edison (Thomas Edison invented light bulb and I just re-invented it)

Crazy excited

Postby ideasthings » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:32 pm

ideasthings
White Belt

I am attending Dallas this weekend, any tips, I got the "Gold Pass". I have 2 ideas, I can't even think straight I am so nervous!

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:41 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

try practice in front of a crowd, and camera...

Postby Average Inventor » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:13 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

I would boil your idea or invention down to 2 minutes and make sure you focus on what it does and the problem it solves. Then I would create a single sheet that has all the benefits and some pictures or sketches of your idea that you can copy and pass out to the judges so they know at a glance what your invention is and why it's useful.

Postby ideagirl » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:25 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

I got 4 yes'es from the judges in Dallas. My product is a household storage and organizational idea (sorry can't go into detail). Some hints
from my experience. You will pitch in front of Thomas or Edison judges.
Thomas judges are 3 judges per room and they have 4 rooms. This is for the inventor with ideas or rough prototypes. I can tell you that very few from this section made it thru to the final round. The other judges are the Edison. This is a panel of 10 judges from major retail stores like Bed, Bath and beyond, Dick's sports, QVC, etc. If you pitch to them they will tape the inital pitch. Your invention protype should be almost market ready, or better. I made my prototype myself, so it wasn't manufactored. But it is a really nice quality sample, and it qualifed for this panel. These companies are also looking at your products for themselves, as well as judging. A really good opportunity. You don't have to have a patent for this section, but if your idea is simple (like mine) then I would recommend at least a 3rd party patent search, so that legal believes a patent is possible. (that is just my advice from listening to everything). Most of the finalists did come from this line. So my summary is, you have a better chance of making it, if you have a quality prototype, and can show it could be patented. And of course it needs to be a mass market kind of product that could be sold in major retail stores.

Now comes the waiting. I will post if I get any response back from them!!

refined prototype

Postby baxter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:44 pm

baxter
White Belt

Congrats on your 4 thumbs up idea girl ! ... o.k. I am confused I thought E.E. is looking for novel inventions regardless of how developed the prototype is. Am I to understand the more refined your prototype the better of a chance of final consideration ?
Due to funds, resources and practically my proto is considered rough ... however it is well designed, functional and presents the benefits clearly and most of all fits the criteria E.E. is looking for ... ??
Am I missing something here, I am new to the forum ?
And ... is the Gold pass really worth it if you only have one invention to present ... is'nt $9 per month ... I am planning to be a early arrival at the Chicago casting call.

Postby citizen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:25 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

Baxter, I haven't been to an audition, but my understanding from what I've heard from some of those who have attended are that the gold pass is great if you are presenting more than one invention and you don't want to wait in long lines.

As far as having a complete prototype, I think that is more for the evaluation from the companies they have representatives from there like Bed Bath and Beyond and Home Depot (not sure who is there). If you went in with a fully completed, ready for market invention that they couldn't help you with design, packaging, branding, etc. I'm sure it wouldn't make much for the show. They are about helping inventors who need help. That being said, its all about the idea. So whether you have a great idea that is prototyped or not, its about the idea and the product that can be made.

Jason

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:55 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Let me tell you what I think.

EE means to help inventors with great marketable inventions. Then they found out there are too many of them. So they want to narrow the door to see only those inventors who really believe themselves and have put down their own efforts toward their dream.

Take a look at what they want

Everyday Edisons bases its selection of the featured inventions on three main criteria:
1) Complexity – Can the invention be developed within a year?
2) Marketability – Is there a need or demand for the product?
3) Patentability – Can the intellectual property be protected?

From 1 and 2, I think a simple product will fit their need the best and there is no reason an inventor can’t make a prototype out of it. And a high quality prototype somewhat will explain itself easier. The judges are still human, right?
But if a product does bad on criteria 2 and 3, even a fine prototype won’t help.

Postby baxter » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:02 pm

baxter
White Belt

Got it !! Thanks for the insight guys. Feeling confident about being a good 'fit' ... now just need to polish my pitch.
Next