FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby dragon smile » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:02 am

dragon smile
White Belt

Just let you all know that I made it back safely. :)
I caught the red eye last night and only being home few hours, washing up and here I am at work. :?
My meeting with one retailer went well, yet I sensed that they are more interesting at to sell the product rather than to manufacture it themselves. :( I told them that I am in no condiction to manufacture it myself and they told me it's all right; They will find one of their vendors to work on it. :wink: I hope they mean it. :wink:
I am really tired so I may go home early to spend the afternoon with my kid and wife :oops:

Edison Nation

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:10 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Ideagirl wrote:
So Roger, tell us what it's like to be one of the reviewers. Do you see alot of duplication in inventions? Alot that are already in the market? Do they just all blur together by the end of the day? What are you looking for when you review?

I had a great time. They are a fantastic organization to work with. They are very Inventor oriented and want the Inventor to succeed. I did not see any duplication of ideas. I did see several in the same area, but with different solutions. There were a large number of inventions that came in that were already on the market. Those you could tell the inventor did not do their homework before proceeding.
Edison nation has great connections with major retailers across the board. So, they are looking for ideas that have mass market appeal. If your idea will only sell to a couple of hundred people you are wasting your time presenting it. You should do those on your own. If you have a Bed, Bath and Beyond, Lowe's or a QVC type product that is more in the market they are looking to hit.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby ideagirl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:14 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

So tell me, do we all look and act as desperate as we feel! :lol:

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:23 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Roger

What's the principle for screening ? Did Everyday Edison give judges a guideline or something? Eg. number or percentage of people you can send up?

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:28 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Dragon smile

You sound a little down, don't give up. Keep this opportunity alive. Start calling them to see if any their vendor is willing to do so unless they told you not to.
Normally if a vendor told by a buyer they need something, they will definitely jump on it if they like the price and quantity. You have a very good chance there.

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:33 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

MWB wrote:
Roger

What's the principle for screening ? Did Everyday Edison give judges a guideline or something? Eg. number or percentage of people you can send up?

You are screening the inventions for patentability, mass market appeal. They are not wanting inventions that will only fit a small niche market. They are looking at investing significate amounts of labor, resources and money into an invention to get it to market so they want ones that will obviously recoup their investment and make you and them a profit. That is basically everyones goal that has a invention they want to market. You are not doing it to go into debt with no hope of a return.
They did not give us a quota of any kind. It was strickly based on the above criteria. If we sent up 80% of the inventions and they all met the criteria that would be fine by them. Remeber if you are making money so are they.
I think they have a very fair deal for everyone. It is better than any I have seen by any company dealing with Inventors.

edison Nation

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:41 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Ideagirl wrote:
So tell me, do we all look and act as desperate as we feel!

Most were very calm and polite. Then you did have a few that were very hyper and needed a sedative. LOL

Re: edison Nation

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Roger Brown wrote:Then you did have a few that were very hyper and needed a sedative. LOL

I was hyper. I hope they didn't notice my hands were shaking. :oops:

Postby Average Inventor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:02 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Roger,

I was in Thomas room #1 for my first idea and then #5 for my second. My second was a ski boot invention so I might have been in #7 but I seem to remember it was #5.

My first idea as I said was rejected by the judges but I was very surprised as I went through about 70-80 well screened ideas ive had over the past year to narrow them down to ideas that were a good fit for EE.

My brother also pitched 2 ideas and he seems to remember going to Thomas room #3 for both. He made it through past the judges on his first idea but he didn't make it past the screeners on his second for which I was a co-inventor.

Even though we had a gold pass it was extremely tough to get 2 ideas in. There definitely wasn't enough time to get 3 though the process.

We got in line at 5:30 am and barely got back in line before 12:30 to present our second ideas because we took a taxi from the taping area back to the convention center.

Postby DCinNC » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:24 am

DCinNC
Yellow Belt

Chicago had a lot of great ideas and very passionate inventors...we went to 11:00pm on Saturday and finished filming on Sunday from 8am-11:30am. All in all it was a long day for everyone on our side but well worth it....One more casting call to go for Season 3....
PreviousNext