FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby chic1 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 pm

chic1
Green Belt

The first group of judges are tougher then the one's in the green room. You have to be more effective in having them visualize what you have and what it'll do. The green room is more relaxed and they seem to have broader mental view of the potentials of your Product.
nospoH Enterprise
www.stretchandpress.com
<strong>use what you got, to get the body you want </strong>

Postby DCinNC » Thu May 01, 2008 2:17 pm

DCinNC
Yellow Belt

The reason being....

We see so many great ideas...the criteria for the first group of judges has to be strict....allowing the top inventions from each city to make it to filming.

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu May 01, 2008 2:48 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Use fineness level of prototype to decide whether a inventor should go to Tomas or Edison panel.

Did Judges from Edison panel ask only to see fine prototype? I think some inventions with only rough prototype also deserve to be seen by possible manufactures. Or you should make it clear on rules so inventor may better prepare for this.
Last edited by makeworldbetter on Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DCinNC » Thu May 01, 2008 2:51 pm

DCinNC
Yellow Belt

This is from the EE website....

" Only inventors with manufactured-quality prototypes or factory samples qualify for consideration. This also provides an excellent outlet for inventors who believe their idea may be too far down the development path for consideration on the show. Don't have a manufactured-quality prototype? Don't worry. If your idea makes it through the initial screening process and into filming, the retailers will still be given the opportunity to review your idea on film after the casting call is complete."

Postby chic1 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:53 pm

chic1
Green Belt

What I experienced in Chicago is that anyone who had a physical prototype went to the Edison room, anyone with the a drawing or just an idea went to the Thomas rooms.
nospoH Enterprise
www.stretchandpress.com
<strong>use what you got, to get the body you want </strong>

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu May 01, 2008 3:01 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Thanks for clarify.

Then again, it all depends on how an inventor check a small box on his entry form.

Glad my rough prototype made to green room and won that chance.

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

DCinNC

Have another question regarding to Edison nation.
How much capacity does "commercialize your product" service on Ed Nation has? Especially now you have EE on going.

Postby citizen » Thu May 01, 2008 3:35 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

DC...I am going to Providence, but haven't attended any other casting calls, but I'll give you what I've heard from others I know.

1. Need informed venue staffing. I know someone who attended the Chicago auditions and the security guy knew nothing about two lines, one for gold pass and one for non gold pass people. They were there earlier than some gold pass members, but because of lack of knowledge and organization, they waited unnecessarily in the wrong line.

2. Feedback. Ok, maybe not totally possible, but if your invention doesn't get selected, it would be nice to know why. Was it not any good? Was there something else like it on the market? Do the judges not understand it? You wouldn't need to go into tons of descriptions, but its discouraging to present an idea, get turned down, and not know where to go from there. No sense waisting time on an invention that won't work, the added feedback would be invaluable.

Could even have the judges have a simple evaluation sheet that is checked off.

Jason

Postby Average Inventor » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

DCinNC,

I'm going again to Providence with new inventions. I'm not sure if my bro is gonna make the trip. I would say a way to make the last casting call special would be to get Doug Hall as a speaker... I really enjoyed hearing Louis Foreman speak in the beginning but I didn't have any time to check out any other speakers because I was in line or waiting in rooms the entire time. I got there at 5:30am and stayed in the Hyatt right at mccormic and my first idea (where my prototype was damaged) finished taping at 12:30pm so I had to rush back to get in line for my second invention.

Another cool idea is have a sneak preview showing of episode 1 season 2 to ispot groupies :)

Lastly I think it would be nice to allow the retailers to check out last years footage of the inventions that made it in front of the judges like they are going to be able to this year. I talked to at least 3 other top 50 people from the season 2 casting calls and we all have had trouble landing licensing deals. Since you already have the footage it would be a HUGH favor to pass that on for the retailers to check out.

Postby DCinNC » Fri May 02, 2008 7:51 am

DCinNC
Yellow Belt

Hey guys...

makeworldbetter --

Your question about ----"commercialize your product" service on Edison Nation...I'm not familiar with their capacity...I'm strictly EE show stuff.....I recommend asking those questions in a forum over on Edison Nation and Matt from EN would be glad to answer those.

citizen--
Your best bet for yourself and the rest of the inventors attending a casting call is to ask an Everyday Edisons staff member any and all questions about Gold Member lines...etc. (Our staff will be wearing long sleeve black Everyday Edisons polos...with the Logo on the shirt)

Your 2nd question about receiving feedback---

This quote was taken from Matt Spangard from Edison Nation

"Because our casting calls are much larger events now and draw much larger crowds, that streamlined process is simply required to keep everybody moving through. If we didn't have it, we wouldn't be able to continue our commitment to see everybody who shows up by 1:00... and those who we do see would spend twice as much time in the process."

(a couple of extra minutes for feedback...times...a couple thousand inventors...adds up quickly)

but....

Hopefully next season's casting calls...we will come up with a way to get you the feedback and still be able to see everyone.

Average Inventor---

You gave a lot of good ideas......we'll see if we can implement your Season 2 episode viewing..

As far as retailers viewing last season's casting calls....not sure about that one....they have their hands full with Season 3 casting calls....they have hundreds to look through.

-DC
PreviousNext