FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby DCinNC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 pm

DCinNC
Yellow Belt

Whamzam,

I think your just messing with everyone.

This is a little history lesson about Thomas Edison....I located this online:

"During his most inventive years, Edison conducted experiments at his Menlo Park, New Jersey, laboratory. He did not work alone. A team of talented workers assisted him all hours of the day and night. These men had the skills to make Edison's ideas and sketches into real devices of wood, wire, glass, and metal.

Edison's workers came from all over the world. The group included: Charles Batchelor, Edison's chief mechanical assistant from England; Ludwig Boehm, a German glassblower; John Kruesi, a Swiss clockmaker; Francis Upton, a mathematician, as well as carpenters, machinists, and general laboratory helpers.

The laboratory at Menlo Park was an "invention factory" and a business. Bookkeepers and secretaries kept track of the money needed to run the business.

Samuel Mott was a draftsman who made official drawings to be sent to the United States Patent Office in Washington, D.C., or to patent offices in foreign countries. Patents, or exclusive rights to make the inventions created at Menlo Park, were an important part of Edison's activities. They proved that the inventions were Edison's and no one else's.

Grosvenor Lowery was Edison's lawyer. His job was to raise money for Edison's laboratory so that he had the equipment he needed to continue his experiments. Lowery often promoted Edison's ideas before they had become real."

Postby Envizion » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Envizion
White Belt

Whamzam -

You're right, anyone can have an idea, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea!

No manufacturer or retailer is going to support an idea that won't sell and a product will only sell if it meets the needs or wants of the conusmer.

If it were that easy to get your products to market than people wouldn't be submitting their ideas to EN, they would be doing it themselves!

They don't just take ideas from napkins for the show, infact all the contestants I've seen brought working prototypes to the casting calls. EN's design team liked the concept, but tweaked it a little to make it more marketable.

This is where their expertise comes in and polishes the product.

The independent inventor knows that you need money to back your invention if you want to have it manufactured and try to create a business to sell it. Most of us don't have tons of money for patents and start up business expenses so they take a chance with Everyday Edisions and also the Live Product Searches that only cost $25.

NOT EVERY IDEA IS A GOOD IDEA!!!!

Patrice

Postby Whamzam » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Whamzam
White Belt

DC?,

If you're in North Carolina, intimate knowledge of this Edison business, and from your very defensive posture of this business, I would guess that you are somehow on the pay roll or otherwise beneficiary of this Edison business.

If that is the case, you should come right out and have what it takes to say so. Don't come over here acting like some innocent bystander who just happens to disagree.

You say I'm just messing with everyone.... Why would I do that? Yea, Edison had a team. But he certainly didn't start out like that, and was very much involved in developing all of his inventions. I watched the show, and it seems to me that the design and development staff is pretty much dictating to the "inventors" how it is going to be and designed.

So far, i haven't seen any inventions that this edison business took from an inventor flying off any shelves. I don't believe that it is possible to claim a success rate until a product has been on the shelves for years and made at least one company (besides EN) a hefty profit.

Postby Envizion » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Envizion
White Belt

Whamzam -

I really don't think you guessed that about DC...I think you knew that and I think you frequent Edison Nation but don't want to admit it.

I think you're a closet EN lurker!

If you've got some much beef with EN, why not challenge them there?

Why talk trash over here?

Patrice

Postby Whamzam » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Whamzam
White Belt

Oh so,

DC is in fact on the pay roll. And you also knew that all along too. That's another thing that is easily surmisable.
It is called deductive reasoning Patrice. Any first year detective student could surmise these things and more. I'm sorry if you don't have the gift.

Just like I could surmise this also:

The entire first week that this thread started, less than 100 views were recorded for this thread. Just in the last day, over 100 more views were recorded. And in just the last hour, over a whopping 60 views.

(If you look to the right of the thread, it shows not only the # of replies, but views of the thread. So I didn't need to do any snooping, just deductive reasoning.)

The only practical explanation for this is that you people (either on the pay roll or suck up brown nosing pets) from EN are ganging up trying to determine how you can put all your heads together and gang up to beat me in an argument. It's like the guy who gets his ass kicked, then runs home to get all his homies and gang up on one person for revenge. They can't do it alone. I also noticed a cram number of page views for about 30 minutes, then a "silence" for a good 10 minutes, as if a quarterback was huddling his team.

Patrice, in one of your post you wrote:

"anyone can have an idea, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea!"

So what makes you the expert at what is a good idea? Because a manufacture selects your product to bring to the market? Many products get brought to the market and fail. And it's been proven that many products that didn't get to market becuase many manufacturers thought they were no good would have been a big hit.

So nobody really knows what is a good idea, and what is not.

It seems that you too are aggressive, and particualrly touchy about certain things. It seems that you are touchy about the value of your idea.
Aggressive and touchy makes for an egomaniac personality in search of having something to prove.

Postby Envizion » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm

Envizion
White Belt

Whamzam -

If DC wanted to disguise his identity, then why would he use the same username as the one from EN? It's no secret, never was so why are you trying to start something? I don't believe you have detective skills for one second either. How would you know so much about EN and their whole process if you haven't been researching them? You mean to tell me you've never visited their forum? I find that hard to believe.

There is no conspiracy here as much as you want to drum up drama I'm sorry but there is no team against you. I had no idea these guys were posting. I think you're just upset that people are not agreeing with your point of view which is sad because we could of had a nice little friendly debate. You've ruined all that with your negativity which I will not be apart of. I will not stoop that low.

I am not out to prove anything. I only defend the things that I know and believe in and when someone wrongfully accuses another without proof and just going by speculation, it makes me want to speak up. But now that you have turned this ugly I no longer want to speak against your point of veiw in fear of more attacks against me.

It's a shame because we could have had a civil debate and hashed out the issues and probably really gotten to the facts.

Patrice

Postby Boom Man » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:13 pm

Boom Man
White Belt

Envision or Patrice,

It looks to me like you attacked Whamzam, not the other way around. I looked down the postings, and observed that Whamzam had not said anything to you until you first accused Whamzam of
(a) talking trash
(b) being a closet lurker
(c) insinuating that Whamzam was a liar

Why do you feel like you need to stick up for this DC guy? He can't do it himself? Are you his mommy or big sister? It's not your place, so you must be looking for an excuse to attack.

Yea it also looks to me like DC was acting the innocent casual. He wrote things like:
"Also Everyday Edisons is partnered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.....I doubt "they" would align with an un-legit company. "

You don't use the word "they" when you should be using the word "we" unless you are trying to hide something.
He would have said "I doubt WE would align......." And you wouldn't use the word "doubt" You would be more assertive if you were not trying to be a "3rd person".

Postby KalelKent » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:54 pm

KalelKent
White Belt

Wizbam,

I have nothing to hide. I don't work for EE or EN, but do agree with their product offerings. Yup, it's a business. Yes, they get a profit from the products that get sent to market. But here is where you are wrong... Go to www.edisonnation.com and you can read the contracts, including the percentages, rights, etc... nobody goes into anything blindly. When was the last time you contacted a company and they told you up front what you'll get for NET REVENUES, LICENSING REVENUES, ASSIGNMENT REVENUES, and BRAND REVENUES. That doesn't seem to shady to me. If you want to see the contract, go read it.

I'm not going to knitpick everything you made up, but one thing sticks in my side. In the section for product submission, it says that if you want to submit a video, make sure it is the inventor operating the invention. This is not a beauty contest. This is to ensure property rights. You don't want a video with somebody else using your unpatented invention.

Use your head and research the facts before you make stuff up. You'd think that somebody on an inventors forum would be smarter.

If you want to discuss this more, I have no problem with looking like the bad guy. Of course there is no saying how you'll look once people research the facts for themselves.

Oh yeah, one more thing... the "they" in DC's comment was the USPTO. That would be the proper terminology and grammar usage, unless you are accusing the USPTO of being "an un-legit company".

Postby Whamzam » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Whamzam
White Belt

KlutzKent,

Looks like we got another suck up pet here.
You say "In the section for product submission, it says that if you want to submit a video, make sure it is the inventor operating the invention. This is not a beauty contest. This is to ensure property rights. You don't want a video with somebody else using your unpatented invention. "

Are you an attorney? What the heck makes you an expert about property rights? You don't know diddly squat about property rights;
So you are saying that your spouse couldn't demonstrate it? If somebody else is demonstrating your invention, it only proves all the more that they didn't invent it. Because they would have to prove:

1. That they have the knowledge of how to make it.
2. Produce all of the receipts for the materials to make it.
3. Bypass your own 3rd party proof that you consulted with them to make it at an earlier date.

So this proves that you don't know diddly squat about what you are talking about. You're probably just another pet that is going to wake up a few years from now realizing that you've been scammed.

Let me ask you something: Has this Edison group taken any of YOUR products to market? Are have you just been eagerly throwing... How much is it...? $25.00 per submitted invention?

If I were you, you should in fact learn how to protect your invention. If you are submitting inventions to this business with no patent protection, even if the business has completely ethical standards (which I doubt they do, but different topic) , all you need is just 1 sneaky or disgruntled employee that sweeps your invention into his pocket; Later, you see your invention on a shelf at Wal-Mart, the sneaky employee claiming he is the inventor.

At least with the patent office, the U.S. Dept. of Commerce can order an investigation if a patent examiner or other employee at the USPTO "suspiciously" comes up with a similar invention to an inventors submitted. You have no recourse with a private company such as this Edison business.
:wink:

Postby KalelKent » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:49 pm

KalelKent
White Belt

Please, if you want to debate, give me something worthy. I started my post saying that I agree with their process. Calling me a suck-up is just juvenile.

Nope, I'm not an attorney, but am intelligent enough not to videotape other people controlling my inventions until it's documented. And if your spouse should want a divorce, she could use that tape and sue you for property rights. Of course you didn't justify your attack as this being some sort of fashion show.

As far as your list:
1. That they have the knowledge of how to make it. something your wife should know
2. Produce all of the receipts for the materials to make it. something your wife would have access to
3. Bypass your own 3rd party proof that you consulted with them to make it at an earlier date. EN is third party proof

As far as edison nations track record, get over it. They've only been around for less then a year. Everyday Edison is only starting to film season 3.

Anyway, I have to fly out tomorrow, so if you have anything worthy of debate, keep it brief.
PreviousNext