FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Chicken Wing Tray is a Winner

Postby Twin_City_Chick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:29 am

Twin_City_Chick
White Belt

I also loved the show. It was cute and well put together. I was a little weary about auditioning because I didn't know how they would make people out on television, but now I regret that I did not go to the Chicago auditions. Everybody was treated well on the show. Next year, I will definatley be there.

I loved the chicken wing tray. I actually laughed out loud because I am always complaining to my husband about those bones. He's gotten so sick of hearing me complain that he doesn't order wings in front of me anymore. If you can buy them for home, I'll get him one for Father's Day or Christmas. I can use it for my superbowl party. Plus, the wing guys are cute!

The other products don't really speak to me. They are probably great for the people that can appreciate them, but I guess I may be hard to please. At least by me, the scrapbook hobby is sort of fading. I suppose I could use the game and she seems very nice, so I will probably think about buying it also at Christmas time if it is ready to sell by then.

Postby Average Inventor » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:47 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Twin_City_Chick,

As Butch originally pointed out you can already buy the items you like at skymall: http://www.skymall.com/shopping/storedept.htm?v=102241912&c=&sr=1&perpg=ALL

The wing tray is $14.99 I think. You should also be able to buy them from Amazon soon but the listings for them still say out of stock on Amazon so it might be a month or so before they have them in stock.

wing tray

Postby Roger Brown » Tue May 01, 2007 3:42 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

So, it looks like my pick of the Wing tray is a winner. I plan on getting one myself. :D
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

I agree, Wing Tray Far and Away the Strongest Invention

Postby work-n-play » Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 am

work-n-play
White Belt

I have been involved in many start-up businesses, and I agree that the chicken wing tray is the money maker in the bunch. I would be very surprised if it did not make more money than all of the other inventions combined. My comments on each of the inventions follows:

Scrapbook: This may in fact make them some money. While scrapbooking as a hobby may be declining, it is still popular. Just because a market is declining and not growing does not mean you cannot make money on it (people still make good livings selling cigars). I believe that their product can gain some popularity and get some sales. Its life span, however, will probably be pretty short because it has a fashion component to it (anything that woman carry on their person has a fashion component). It will make a splash and then see its revenue tail off pretty modestly. I don't love this product, but I don't dismiss it either.

Wing Tray: This may be one of the most lucrative cash cows I have ever seen for many reasons. First, it has two markets: restaurants and home buyers. Two, virtually everyone across every income level, race, age, and geographic regions, eats chicken wings. Usually, inventors have to say, "While 10% of Americans do such and such, and if we get 10% of them we will make such and such." In the case of this tray, most every American is a potential customer. They could as easily advertise it in Martha Stewart's magazine as Maxim magazine.

Maybe everyone does not think that staring at bones is disgusting, but most people certainly do. For me, I was aware it was disgusting on some unconscious level, but now that I know this tray exists, I will never want to eat wings without it again. If people did not already know that they had a problem staring at the bones, this tray will make them aware of it. Also, they can go many directions with this tray. They can make a version for use at the restaurant, for take-out, a party tray version, a nice ceramic version, put college football logos on it and make it a great Christmas gift.

Finally, the sheer size of the market and that fact that it delivers true functionality means it can grow and grow until it is in the hundreds of thousands of restaurants serving hundreds of millions of trays of wings and in every home that is serving chicken wings at its Super Bowl party. I can see this thing selling more units every year for fifty years. I loved Louis' comments on the show about this item. He gets it.

ShopTalk Game: Most toys and games have very short lifespans where they either make it or not. If the show can drive the popularity of this game and get it into a Target or Wal-Mart in time for Christmas, it can definately make some money. After that, it will fade away.

Baby Bag: The baby business is a tough one. The whole industry relies on a wave of new products to keep itself going, so you are competing with a million other new ideas every time you step into this market. Also, it has the same fashion component which makes it short-lived, just like the scrapbook item.

Trash Can: I kind of like it. I wonder about that market, however. It is a big product that takes up a lot of space on a store shelf. Can it be made at a competitive price to compete with the folks that are already in there selling a full line of similar products? I don't know.

T-Square: I don't know enough about drywall to know if it is a good product, but I will assume that it is. Then you have to look at the number of drywall installers in the country, pick out those that would go out shopping and pick up a new gadget, and there you have your market. Hopefully it does not cost the show much to develop this product, because the market is ultimately limited. However, if development costs are low, they can maybe make some good money.

Hoe: See my comments regarding T-square. Same thinking. Are the folks that mix cement for a living shopping for new gadgets and taking the time to educate themselves on innovative features in products they have never seen before?

Overall, I love the show. I'm really into inventions and this whole process, so maybe I am not typical, but that's my opinion. I hope all the inventions make a ton of money.

Postby Average Inventor » Tue May 01, 2007 7:44 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

work-n-play,

I beg to differ. I would put my money on the scrapbooking idea to make the most money as ladies who "scrap" are willing to spend more and I don't think it's a trend that will die out any time soon.

Snack Daddy

Postby Sioux » Tue May 01, 2007 8:42 am

Sioux
White Belt

I think the chicken wing tray is something that will be adopted and used as a staple for serving wings going forward. Unsure about scrap books but the wing tray might end being an iconic product if they position is properly.

I think everyone at some point is exposed to chicken wings and doubt the same for the other products.

I don't know if I would recognize any of the other products if I ran across them in everday usage but the wing tray I would.

Does anyone else think watching some of these products go through the process might be a little less interetsing than others?

Money Maker

Postby work-n-play » Tue May 01, 2007 9:49 am

work-n-play
White Belt

Average Inventor,

Good points. Actually, I hope they all make money. With the show behind them, seems like they all have a fighting chance.

Does anyone else plan on having wings for lunch? :wink:

wing tray

Postby Roger Brown » Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I see the wing tray at all Zaxby's, Wild Wing, Wing Stop and Hooters across America.

Postby Sioux » Tue May 01, 2007 6:18 pm

Sioux
White Belt

Great web site! How did you get all these devices off the ground, much less to the market???

I think everyone has ideas, just need to know how to go about getting them commercialized without getting hosed.

inventions

Postby Roger Brown » Tue May 01, 2007 7:48 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Thanks for the comments. Read this post. I think it explains a lot. I have never spent over $100 to get any item to market. I get the compnay licensing the item to pay the patenting costs. viewtopic.php?t=143
Next