FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Everyday Edisons An Awesome Opportunity

Postby Joe Casale » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:52 pm

Joe Casale
White Belt

As the inventor of KoKu, one of the season 1B selections for the Everyday Edison's PBS-TV Series, I would like to explain a few things. I have designed numerous new concepts for dozens of corporations and many individual inventors. I have nearly 30 years experience as an Industrial Designer and have developed, invented and licensed several mass market products. The work that goes into patenting, designing, engineering, packaging and branding a new concept is vast, not to mention finding a viable corporation to license, market, advertise, sell and distribute an innovative new product concept. When an inventor has an opportunity to present an idea to an established company that says they will do all of the above, basically commercialize your idea, you know you are in the USA and the land of opportunity. As mentioned above, I have experienced all of the phases of inventing from a concept sketch to a product on the shelves of major retail outlets, however, I was never involved with all of the phases for any one of my other inventions. Most often when you license an idea to a major company, they claim it and do what they want to to benefit themselves, which is fine as long as you have a good contract. The Everyday Edison's experience was different in that they have kept me in the loop on all of the progress of the product. The key thing to understand with any new product, start-up or innovation is that if it truly unique, it will take more time than expected, otherwise it may not be as new or innovative an you might think. You see, treading through unchartered waters is what make the reward at the other end all that much greater. KoKu is being birth into the marketplace as I write this note. I cannot anticipate its outcome with any accuracy, however, I am confident to say that some terrific energy has been put behind it to make it a tremendous success and me and my family have had an awesome time being part of it!

Postby citizen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:18 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

Congrats Joe! I wish you all the luck with your product and future products.

I love KoKu and as someone who likes to cook, it looks great.

We all could use any advice you can give us from your experiences.

Jason

Postby ideabobber » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:54 pm

ideabobber
White Belt

Joe - thanks for your post. I tried casting for Everyday Edisons for one my ideas (the Body Bottle - www.bodybottle.com) but did not make it. Its good to hear you had a great experience with the show and you are right, it is a great opportunity - only in America!
Post or Search for Ideas, Innovations, Inventions: http://www.ideabobber.com

Postby Ben Tex » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:35 am

Ben Tex
White Belt

Joe,

Thanks for your post and best of luck with your journey. I'm hoping you can put something in perspective for me, espcially since I'm very green in the invention/marketing process. The one thing that gives me pause about auditioning for Everyday Edisons (and I am going to do it) is the annuity arrangement. How does the 5% of net proceeds arrangment make it worth it? Do you see potential for significant income, or is the payoff simply the satisfaction of participating in the show and seeing your product come to life?

Thanks,

Ben Tex

Everyday Edisons

Postby Joe Casale » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 am

Joe Casale
White Belt

Ben,
Licensing agreement royalties can vary based on many other contract terms. Terms can include such things as advanced payments, production schedules and production guarantees. Rates can vary due to product category, specific industries, marketing & advertising expenses, desired net wholesale price, just to mention a few.
Everyday Edisons offers a great opportunity for you to see your invention come to fruition. Depending on the product, its cost to manufacture and volume of potential sales, 5% can add up. As an inventor, I am sometimes vexed by other inventors that will do anything to get their product made. If your invention solves a problem, is reasonable to produce and has market appeal, it will be a success and it will pay off.

Best of Luck,
Joe Casale

www.DesignGroup1.com[/url]

Postby Ben Tex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Ben Tex
White Belt

Joe,

Thanks for your counsel. I value it highly.

Ben Tex