FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderator: Scrupulous

Should we have Inventor FAQ's section?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:40 am

Yes, we should
86%
No, we should not
No votes
Perhaps, but....
14%

Total votes : 7

Should we hae an FAQ's section in the forums?

Postby Michelle » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:40 am

Michelle
Black Belt

BottleSling mentioned it would be helpful to the site to have an FAQ's section for common inventor questions.

Do you think this would be helpful?
Do you think people would actually use it rather than post their personalized version of the question?

If FAQs would be helpful, which questions should we post as FAQS?

Thanks,

Michelle

Postby Road Show » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:48 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

It is obvious that a FAQ section would cut down on redundant posts by newbies, but I don't agree that that would be a good thing.

Let's assume that we put up the best FAQ section anyone ever could for the newbie. What would compel that person to participate in the forums? I dislike answering the same questions over and over, but at least it is the personal touch this brings that would be lost with an "effective" FAQ section.

RSG

Postby mojo62 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:24 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

I think a FAQ section would be good. I think most "rookies" would use the FAQ section and would also ask you fine, experienced folks questions also.
It would just be an additional resource for the "rookie". Some people may not want the "personal touch" as you put it Road. They may find the web site more useful and valuble with both options.

MO

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:26 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

It would eliminate the chaff new folks have to sift through. Of course they are still going to participate in the forum. After finding their respective answers they can then ask more pertinent and/or specific questions. We would still have the opportunity to "strut our stuff" and make ourselves sound like experts but I think just the fact we don't have to be so repetitive is justification enough for a FAQs section.

Just think of all the fun we could have compiling the questions and info? I would even like to take it further into a wiki or a braintrust realm. Right now the logistics in finding info here is akin to snail mail.

FAQ

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

FAQ's are good ONLY if you get the people to look at them first prior to posting the same question in a forum. Then you also have to decide whose response is the best to answer that particualr FAQ or a combination of responses melded into one more informative answer.
As a rule most people scan the topic headings and check there first to find their answer or ask their question.
No matter how well you post an all inclusive answr there will still be something the will want answered that the response did not cover.
One option would be if you have a FAQ section you would also have a link to a forum that had discussions on that topic. That way they could read the FAQ and jump right into a forum on the subject.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:29 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I like that option idea. Your first point about the answers being debatable is partly the reason I was thinking we could make some sort of wiki or braintrust. Sure it would take some time and effort (I think that could be fun though) but it could help make this place more interesting.

We seem to be moving in a herky-jerky fashion with no real foundation to fall back on. I think having FAQs and even a wiki (which would be an on-going feature constantly evolving) would make the site a more robust and complete experience for everyone involved.

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:19 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Wiki type program sounds like a great idea...now the question of if its something we can build or is it something already available for free online?

Or were to you thinking an actual wiki posting?

wiki

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:44 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

You have to make sure the wiki posting can't be edited by anyone else other than the admin. That is one of the failings of wiki is that anyone can add to it and it brings forth a lot of inaccurate info.

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:55 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I wonder if we can do something really simple like create a blogger identity called FAQs.

Have folks volunteer to write one up and put it up and people can all comment on it in the comments section and then we can link to the relevant FAQ postings in the forums here?

Would that work you think? I think what would be nice about it is a nice continuous discussion.

FAQ

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:38 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Michelle wrote:
Have folks volunteer to write one up and put it up and people can all comment on it in the comments section and then we can link to the relevant FAQ postings in the forums here?

The only issue I see with having FAQ's that you can add comments to is that it would not take long to have pages of discussion on that FAQ and other topics. Having the link to that topic would be the place for them to expand on the FAQ or additional comments. Look at some of the posts now, some are 5 pages or more. That is a lot of reading for a FAQ.
Next