FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Business Plans

Postby Levi Porter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:21 am

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Does anyone know of good business plan examples?

I mean, it would be great to just say, "Look, the product is excellent and speaks for itself. Give me your money, and I'll make it work. Your ROI is golden."

I am glad that most people don't seem to want too much information about anything, just enough to entice, excite, and install confidence.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:38 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I haven't done a business plan because I believe anyone who can't tell how much potential ROI my sling designs are worth has no business in business. Besides anyone who would license them would most likely want to rely on their own research and business model. I'm licensing intellectual property to an established business which should already have it's own business plan. What they want to do with the IP they've licensed from me is up to them.

You can buy a kid's decent backpack from China in Walmart for $12... :shock: that's right $12. How much does anyone think it would cost to make one of my slings in China? Ten cents a piece is probably not far off. Add a dollar fifty for shipping/packaging/etc. and wholesale them for seven. They could retail for around twelve. The trick is getting them into a place with consistent exposure like Walmart. I'm not business savvy or disciplined enough to run a business. No one is going to want to rely on my plan but the numbers are there and speak for themselves.

So Levi, I guess my answer would be no, I don't know of any good examples. :)

Postby MarkM » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:22 am

MarkM
White Belt

Hi Levi,

You can check out http://www.score.org/index.html
You can find an business example there and also get free business consulting.

Also check out http://sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/pla ... index.html

Regards,
Mark

Postby Levi Porter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Thank you Mark,

I forgot about those guys. They do have a lot of good resources.

I appreciate it,

Levi
....................................................................................................

BSG, I was reading your response, and was thinking....this is like the Anti-Business Plan :P

I hear ya though.

Hey, can I order one from you buy Feb? I have a new nephew coming soon.

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:33 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Sure, that's great... can't wait to crank up the 50yr old piece of crap again... :x

Oh congratulations on the new nephew.

You'll have to email me where to send it at bottle_sling@yahoo.com I can't get into my pm mailbox here for some reason.

RE:"Anti-business Plan"

Would you trust my research and planning ability? That philosophy is called looking out for the other guy. It's a very un-businesslike concept. Probably why I haven't had much success per se?

Postby Levi Porter » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:13 am

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Thanks BSG, I'll email in the nearish future. 8)

Postby Work2XL » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Levi,
I used a program called Business Plan Pro. It took only 40-50 revisions to get it right. It's actually a pretty decent tool if your starting from scratch and is easy enough for me to write a decent plan for my project. I WITHOUT A DOUBT recommend EVERYONE who has a project they are planning on spending a dime on write a full business plan themselves.
My reasoning"
1) If you're too lazy to write a detailed plan on your project, then you're too lazy to do what it will take to even begin to get the project off the ground.

2) It is without a doubt the BEST way to honestly and objectively identify every aspect of your project and all potential "opportunities" (flaws). It makes you validate what you "KNOW". You can BS a business plan, but you will know what are assumptions and what is fact whether you want to or not. Also it lays out your financial liabilities, cash flow issues, marketing strategies, team requirements. You will know your project 1000 times more intimately than before this exercise. From there you can (under a NDA) get criticism and suggestions. One great source is from an accountant.

I can send you a copy of mine Levi if you want. I have two versions. One that does not require a NDA. (All Patentable aspects have been omitted) and one that I would need a NDA signed. It will give you an idea of what Business Plan Pro can do in my incapable hands, AND I can solicit your criticism on my plan. If you want a copy, send me an email and let me know which version you want.

My two cents.

Randy
work2xl@comcast.net

Postby Michelle » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

There are a couple of software tools out there.

One already mentioned was:

Business Plan Pro

then there is Business Plan Pro Premier

then there is Business Pro Plan 2008

and on and on. :)

They all got pretty good reviews from Amazon users if you want to check their comments.

Michelle

Postby Work2XL » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

If your not pretty good with excel, I'd recommend the software route. Bus. plan Proasks you questions and plugs in your answers into a plan. With some editing, it comes out pretty good. It also lets you export out several different reports for different purposes. Loan Doc, Marketing Focus, Financials, etc. They come in handy when your full plan is 44 pages long, and you have to cut out different parts and get the pages to line back up for printing purposes.
After using the software on the first one, I'd probably write the next one free hand and use excel for the charts and graphs. But, I'm pretty good with excel.

Postby Levi Porter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:10 am

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Thanks Randy & Michelle :)

Work, I'd love to see your plan. I'll email you shortly.

Thanks again,

Levi
Next