FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Creating A Website for E-Commerce

Postby DannyB » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:04 pm

DannyB
Green Belt

I want to launch an online business selling a cookware invention. I have been researching this for a couple of years now and am down to needing a website.

I really don’t want to have somebody create a site for me. I would rather do it myself, not so much because of the initial cost, but because of the ongoing expense of updates, adhering to the site-builder’s schedule, etc. I just don’t want to be captive to a site-builder. I want to be in full control to make changes when I want to and to do it myself.

Here is the problem. I don’t have a clue where to start with leaning to create an eCommerce site. I just thought I did OK with computers. However, a site-building program was sent to me at no expense by my credit card merchant company. It was supposed to be simple. I have seen a portfolio of sites created with this program and some of them are great! However, I just can’t seem to get started with it. I am about finished with all of the information, sales information, etc. and started playing with this program and just gave up.

Can anybody recommend a site-building software program that really is easy to start with? It would help if it had a tutorial DVD to watch before even starting to work on the site.

Re: Creating A Website for E-Commerce

Postby CriterionD » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:25 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Hey Danny,

I know enough about this stuff to tell you...

A good site-designer will not hold you hostage. They will design your site, and you will should have access to the site afterwords via FTP. Maintaining a site that is already created is fairly simple and doesn't require that steep of a learning curve.

Dreamweaver is the most popular software out there for web design, I believe. But if you are talking free/cheap site building software, I don't like any of that stuff because basic site design and maintenance is not necessarily that complicated and the learning curve, at least for the basics, is not too steep. Most template based site-building software makes it easy for anybody to build a site, but when a website is an important aspect of your business it is better to seek to expand beyond the limitations of such software. In my opinion...

The whole e-commerce aspect complicates things a slight bit. Anyways, if you contact me directly I might be able to help you answer some questions...

- Bill

http://www.criteriondynamics.com

Postby DannyB » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:23 pm

DannyB
Green Belt

I have a good friend that is very good with computers and has created a number of sites, including an e-commerce site. I had not yet imposed on him, but on Friday he volunteered his services to help me design a site.

This guy is also very creative and I look forward to his help. We didn’t discuss what software he uses, but based on what I know about his other software programs, I am pretty sure he isn’t using some free download.

I think my next dilemma is what accounting software to use. I was pretty set on using Quickbooks, but have read a number of negative articles about it. Peachtree was recommended to me. However, I think Peachtree is a higher end software than I need. I guess I am going to take a look at Quicken.

I am trying to get all my “ducks in a row” by year-end. I plan to launch this project in early spring.

I appreciate your feedback!

Postby Andrea » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Andrea
White Belt

Here are some of the best website building software programs:

-Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
-Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium which include Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash, etc
-Adobe Flash.