FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

tv show or job interview

Postby dan b » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:58 pm

dan b
White Belt

i dont understand what your past has to do with you becoming an inventor any one know why its such a extensive back rond check and drug testing whats that all about its a tv show not a job interview .

Postby Road Show » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Simple. It is a TV show that could suffer embarassment and financial harm from loss of advertising revinue should one the finalists turn out to have a few "skeletons" hiding in their closet.

Auditions

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:43 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

They don't want the winner to be a child molester or the major subject of a manhunt on America's Most Wanted. Look at the embarassment American Idol went through with some of its contestants. They want to cover their butts so it doesn't get kicked by the media or sponsors.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby dan b » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:45 am

dan b
White Belt

i realize that but if your past as a child growing up .some did get in trouble that should have no effect on the outcome . of a tv show . how far do they go back i did get in trouble as a kid but will that affect me 26 yrs later ,or sould i not waste my time , i have an awesome invention and think i got a good shot , but i dont wanna waste my time :arrow: or money to get to auditions ,im a family man have 2 kids work hard everyday . and i deal with the loss of a 6yr old son who made a big impact on my life . any info please help

Postby scrapbookdi » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:49 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I would think they will take all things into consideration when evaluating if someone has really made something of their life since getting into trouble when they were young.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

auditions

Postby Roger Brown » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:20 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I agree they should not take what happened in your youth and hold it against you. Just remember this is the media you are asking to have a heart. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I would hope they would be more interested in where you are today, not early in your life.
Hang in there.

Postby coolmax » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:30 pm

coolmax
Yellow Belt

This show should BE about the Idea, Product or Invention.

The show should NOT be about your past.

If your product is good enough to be a finalist & one can pass a basic back-ground check - that's what really matters.

If they like you & you have a good Image for TV?

Maybe a good story?

This show should be about if one can sell the Idea, Product or Invention to the general public.

Postby dan b » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:50 pm

dan b
White Belt

thanks a;; for the suport ll give it a sho after all it s my boys idea so its all about him not me i just helped to make it real . again thanks

Postby Road Show » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Dan, you need to consider this very carefully. The thought that you have a great invention can cloud your judgment, so let me tell you like I see it...if you don't mind.

First, the TV Show is regrouping after it's first season. Had it not been for Simon Cowell and the clout of American Idol, the show would have not done as well as it had, and had it done as well, that would not have been enough...it would have been canceled. This is a make-or-break season for the show. There is not a single inventor or invention on earth that the producers would allow to bring the show down. This is about survival, and about a lot of money for those involved if it continues.

Second, if you make it past the auditions, you will have to take more time off work, and if you make it to the final 9, you will have to take even more time off work. The question is, can you afford to do this? Will it jeopardize your job?

Third, if you make it to the final 9, the $50,000.00 that you are given to further develop your invention may get all used up, AND it is an advance against royalties. You don't get much in return for handing over your idea. Of course, if you win the 1 million, you are set.

Fourth (and I'll preface this with my sincere condolences on your loss. As the father of three girls, I hope to never know the grief you must endure every day), my gut feeling is that once the word gets out about the loss of your son, you're as good as done. Last year's winner, Januz, lost his daughter, and the constant drama with all the sob stories really turned off many viewers...I doubt that you'll get far were the word to get out. I can't imagine being able to keep it a secret on what is essentially a reality show. So don't take offense to what I said...just consider it while your pondering what to do; after all, it's just one opinion.

I hope this helps. And if you decide to go the inventing route on your own, this is a great place to be. I will be happy to support you in any way I am able. Unfortunately, that does not include financially at this time!

Best of luck to you, my friend.

RSG

Postby scrapbookdi » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:46 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

RSG,

You brought up some great points about the sacrifices (financially) to advance in the auditions. As far as the story about the loss of a child, I think that if it was truly the inspiration for the invention that adds to the story. In the case of the car seat I think it really made me hope he would win to help ease the hurt by being able to help save other babies from the same fate that took his daughter.
Next