FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby Burgie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Burgie
White Belt

Bravo, RSpace well put. Good points, solid info.

I can hardly see a good reason to post another thought after your diatribe, but I have always focused on the money. Last year, (1) winner - he took it all. Never heard a peep about him or his invention since.

Then if you are a final four, ABC will own your invention, they will license it out to the likes of Schwinn or Hasbro. Now isn't it standard for large corporations to pay their outside inventions at about 5%. That means the owner of the invention (ABC) gets 5%. Now they turn around and award the inventor with a whopping 25% of the 5% (if we assume standard practice). Clearly a percentage of a percentage with the lions share going to ABC. That is a raw deal if I ever saw one, and the press gives ABC a pass. "All the news ever talks about is the (1) One Million Dollar Prize". A lottery ticket has better odds.

Postby Road Show » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

RSpace,

You present a very level argument for avoiding this show at all costs, and I agree with you on that, but for a different reason. Sure, these guys are out to protect themselves, and, YES, they are represented by the most prestigious patent law firm in Los Angeles. They will not be at the mercy of the disgruntled contestants who think their product is a winner and that the show is out to rip them off. Actually, we do know these guys...this is Simon Cowell of American Idol. Mr Cowell has a great reputation in Hollywood. Do you really think he needs to risk this by ripping off people trying out for American Inventor? Do you think any invention brought to the show could generate enough money in royalties to compensate Cowell for the damage to his reputation. This is about a Reality TV show period. Some inventors will be mocked and ridiculed now and into rerun eternity. Legally, this document protects the producers of the show, contestants go at their own risk.

I had the opportunity to meet one of last years finalists...Sharon Clemens, the bathroom door clip lady. Her experience is nothing like what you suggest awaits the unwary contestant. She is someone who has been through the process, and is happy to have been involved. So all the legal papers she signed were apparently not a ruse to destroy her. But, of course, you paid an attorney to tell you something you could have found out for free...and that is what has happened to the finalists from last year.

RSG

Postby Road Show » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:57 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Bergie,

Just a thought, but maybe the reason we haven't heard about last year's contestants is because the show wants to a "where are they now" episode to kick off the new season. Any leak would spoil the surprise!

RSG

Postby Burgie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:10 pm

Burgie
White Belt

No doubt, they better be holding it back for that reason. What do you think the final results will be?

Hey Michelle, why not post a "Where are they Now" blog entry. We can contribute what we know - the ultimate spoiler.

Postby The Next AI » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:05 am

The Next AI
White Belt

Hey RSpace,

Did your dog die? Can you be any more depressing to people who want to go on AI and have nothing to lose? Are you a lawyer yourself? One good question would be: Have you ever auditioned for AI yourself? If not, why should you pass judgement on the show or try to steer people away from trying it themselves! This website is for people looking for positive feedback from other inventors or good advice for the auditions. You should try another one maybee. Especially don't come on here and take issue's with other peoples statements and act like you are an all knowing attorney. Fact is, your not. If you don't like AI, then you don't have to audition for it, but you can keep your negative opinions to yourself. Bottom line is, we just want to keep positive attitudes for our audition experiences. I'll step down off of the soap box now. No offense.

Peace! :lol:

Postby Michelle » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:32 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Hi All:

There is an ongoing article here http://www.americaninventorspot.com/sea ... _inventors

We've heard here on our site from pretty much almost all of the inventors.

As far as I know, I think Erik is the only one they are doing anything with.

The Anecia is having difficulty, but the inventor has a great job working with EvenFlo.

The double bicycle has gone no where, but Francisco got his internship.

Erik has his product coming out.

Ed Hall...is someone who has not updates us.

All the other Final 12 were released from their contracts and are working on getting their products to market.

The Kaughty Knot Lingerie found a manfacturere/distributor from the AI show and her product will be in many store shelves soon.

Umm...I am forgetting the rest.

Postby RSpace » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:03 pm

RSpace
White Belt

This thread began with an appeal from Aim4dreams for information from anyone who has had an attorney read the Consent and Release form issued as a perquisite for attending the AI auditions. I have indeed had one attorney read it, I have discussed it with another and am pretty well versed in these matters myself, so my comments within the thread are legitimate.

The legal consensus to this point is that the Consent and Release is a one sided dictation of terms that are clearly not in your (OK, “myâ€

Postby Burgie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:09 pm

Burgie
White Belt

O.K. lets review. Erik and Damion had 300 Tons of attitude and a $30 prototype from Home Depot (pvc pipe and a pool float). And that is the most successful invention? Talk about underdog.

Yes it is under manufacture and will come to the shelves next football practice season. Mostly because of an NFL Football player (not Jerry Rice or ABC).

Ed Hall is very dedicated to his product and he will do everthing he can to get it to market if Hasbro fails to produce. We all know of his determination.

The Anecia car seat led to great engineering job for Januz, that is very good since he is smart and deserves every chance to prove success. Besides the million came in handy too.

Finally, our children are safe from the double bike. Francisco is young and can easilly come up with other variations of bikes.

Basically ABC spent several million dollars and the most probable invention to ring a register is a $30 invention made by an American Inventor - Erik Thompson.

So there you are, Michelle completely spoiled the opening AI show for 2007. Thanks Michelle!

Postby DaddyMathis » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 pm

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

We're all looking at this from our own perspectives. If you're doing well and want to get picky about how much you can get, then maybe A.I. isn't for you. But for the rest of us, 25% of 5% of anything is money. Do you think Erik Thompson (with his house in foreclosure) would be complaining about the fine print? For an average Joe, this show is a dream come true. Sure, I could probably make $10 Million on my own with my invention. But, and listen carefully, it's not worth it to me!!! I'd rather take a smaller percentage and spend more time with my wife and kids than to spend the next 5 years struggling to find the resources to get this thing on the shelves.

Face it, the show IS American Idol with a different kind of talent. And some of those winners have proven to be huge. (And all they got was a contract). Most of them would still be average everyday people if it weren't for American Idol. That's what American Inventor is all about. The American dream...working for something, then being rewarded for it. I'll take my chances with the show.

Postby Michelle » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:33 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I again state what I think is the best advice. ..in more simplified terms.

If you have done a lot of work on your invention, continue to work on it and get it to market. You're almost there and the rewards will be all yours and under terms that you have a say in as the material partner in that transaction.

If you have an idea, that you are not really planning to work anyway, then AI is better than having your idea sit in the back of your head, never to ve seen by anyone or used by anyone.
PreviousNext