FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen


Postby Michelle » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:39 pm

User avatar
Michelle
Black Belt
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 am
Burgie wrote:So there you are, Michelle completely spoiled the opening AI show for 2007. Thanks Michelle!


Sorry Burgie :)

We try to be discreet and not tell any secrets but these facts are no longer secrets. WE waited months in some cases to release the info as we wanted to respect people's privacy and also not endanger people's contracts.

I am sure I have a few of the details wrong but the general gists of the summaries are all true.

Oh, I could also mention others in the Final 12, for example the Safutos seem like if they get lucky, they are going to have an incredibly successful product on their hands with the PureFlush (pun intended :lol: ).

We were the first to tell you the judges for the show would change, that the format would be different etc. etc....so we appreciate all the tips and we get from all of our inventors, You guys (including you Burgie) totally ROCK...so thanks for sharing whatever you got!!

Postby Road Show » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 am

User avatar
Road Show
Brown Belt
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: SoCal
RSpace, with only 2 posts to your credit on this site you may not be aware of exactly where I do stand regarding this show. I live in Southern California, and I haven't been to an audition, that means one of two things: I either wish to attend the most inconvenient audition locale possible, OR I have no intention of auditioning for this. I just love all the anger and resentment presented by folks here toward a show that is just out to make some major advertising revenue while not subjecting itself to the same ire and wrath in a court of law. The anticipation of potentially winning a 1 million dollar prize must have really toyed with the emotions. I not only don't plan on ever attending a show such as AI, I would never pay to have a lawyer look at the contract...IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER ENOUGH TO ME. This show is for inventors who will never derive a decent income from their invention. The payoff is abysmal. Sharon Clemens made it to the final 12, got her 50,000 to further her invention, which had already been granted a patent. You might know the contract, but you certainly aren't keen on the fact that, once protected, the show has more to loose by ripping off inventions than they could ever recoup by licensing their stolen inventions. Simon Cowell has everything to do with the show...it's his baby and his good will with ABC that got the show aired for a second season after an abysmal first season.

RSG

Postby Burgie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:13 pm

Burgie
White Belt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:13 am
Location: San Diego
I wish people would quit talking about the $50,000 that was given to the inventors. Not a single one that I have talked to has confirmed that. Their inventions were developed into prototypes by companies that were paid by ABC. The inventors never actually saw the money, I don't even know how much of a choice they had in how it was spent. Don't get me wrong, it is really great the way they showed the professional development of invention ideas.

However, the inventors didn't get $50,000 directly. Besides if they did the TV show tax would take half of it away instantly.

Postby Michelle » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:25 pm

User avatar
Michelle
Black Belt
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 am
Hey Burgie:

I was just making the same point in a different pst thread.

The $50,000 is for development costs, to be paid by American Inventor for expenses by them. You don't get any cash as far as I know.

If you don't have significant development to do, you wil probably not be a good candidate for the show.

Postby DaddyMathis » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:47 pm

User avatar
DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:42 am
Location: Georgia
That doesn't really sound right. Remember last year when Mark Martinez spent $1,000 on a suit? They jumped on him for it but it was still his choice. And, it could've been fake, but they did give the top 12 a check...not permission to spend $50K for development. That's the way I understand it anyway...

Postby 5rocks » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:10 pm

User avatar
5rocks
Green Belt
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: milwaukee
Mark didn't really buy the suit with money from the $50,000. They made it clear to us that the money was to be paid to the design firms. ABC bought Mark the suit.

Pat Rock

Postby Road Show » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:19 pm

User avatar
Road Show
Brown Belt
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: SoCal
Burgie wrote:I wish people would quit talking about the $50,000 that was given to the inventors. Not a single one that I have talked to has confirmed that.


Call it what you want...a "spending allowance", a "voucher", "cash value of services rendered"...the final 12 were given services for the further development of their inventions/ideas that had value; the value of services rendered is a subjective matter regardless of how and by whom they are paid.

RSG

Postby Michelle » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:40 pm

User avatar
Michelle
Black Belt
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 am
To clarify what happened with Mark Martinez, from everything I heard, he did not spend that money himself.

He has spent many years tweaking his invention so he really did not have any need to spend money on further development. All he had left to do was packaging, so he spent that and had a lot left over.

Mark was told by the producers that he would be getting a makeover. Then, he was taken to a place where they had selected out outfits for him. He was also asked to cut his hair and refused to do it. I am told that Mark was rather aghast by the prices of the clothing but he just did what the producers asked him to do.

That is what I heard from several sources that it was not Mark's initiative.

Like standing out in the rain so it makes for a good story when there is a ton of room inside to keep dry and comfortable.

Just take the advice on the past contestants to heart...do what is right and what you are comfortable with and understand that they are crafting stories. Only do what you would be ok with having shown on national television, with the spin they want to put on it.

This is a television show and they have story writers for a reason...to write stories, be they true or false.

Janusz daughter had died in a car accident but it was not as an infant but as a grown woman. But since it made for a better story for her to be an infant, that is the way they crafted the story, I am told.

So, as in all things television or media, you CANNOT believe everything you read or watch.

Postby Burgie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Burgie
White Belt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:13 am
Location: San Diego
Michelle wrote:-clip Only do what you would be ok with having shown on national television, with the spin they want to put on it.

This is a television show and they have story writers for a reason...to write stories, be they true or false.


So the word is that they had everyone go stand out in the rain for a dramatic shot? They are really something.

If the producers spun the info about the baby seat, that is really, really low.
However, now we read that Janusz is using his talent to produce safety devices. If that is all that came out of last season, then it is well worthwhile.
Last edited by Burgie on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Michelle » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:03 pm

User avatar
Michelle
Black Belt
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:27 am
Burgie wrote:
Michelle wrote:
So you say they had everyone go stand out in the rain for a dramatic shot? They are really something.


That is not what I am claiming...just restating what some have claimed in these forums.

There have been a number of inventors who have said that there was no reason for folks to be standing in the cold and rain when there was room outside. There may have been an organizational issue or a safety issue, we really don't know.

I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt..and assume that they had good reasons.

But I am a fan of American Idol and the pictures of thousands standing in the rain and sleeping on the streets made an impression on me, so why is this show going to be presented any differently?

My only point is that its a television show and the producers have a job to do to make it interesting and entertaining and to try to make it a "HIT". So their interest is not to make inventor fulfill their dreams, their job is to make entertaining tv.

It is the producers jobs to make for fun, entertaining and dramatic tv. And I know there is a lot at stake for them...and they want to do a great job.

Inventors just have to be smart about it, use it to their advantage like all the other resources at their fingertips and don't be suckered by anyone...including a tv show.

Like in dealing with any invention company or frankly anything in life, be skeptical, do your research and protect yourself.

Use this amazing opportunity that American Inventor will provide to get some great feedback, possibly some free media coverage - not just with them - but will all media covering the show, and use the show like you are being used. It's all just business, you know.
PreviousNext