FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Answer me this...

Postby tco65 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 pm

tco65
Green Belt

Do you think that most of the people that go on DD already have their "Big Idea" made and manufactured before they send in a tape? I mean, I know the members on the panel have already made it big, but for the average Joe like us. Wonder if we can send a tape in and get on air like grill charm girl with a nice professional sample before you do a production run. Anyone know?

Tonya

Postby Work2XL » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

I don't think anyone I've seen on the show didn't have a finished product with packaging, manufacturing, ect. I don't remember ever seeing anyone that licenced a product either. Now, for the short web cam clips asking questions, I thing your fine, but I don't remember any guests that aren't going to market themselves with a product ready to hit the shelves.

Even most of the web cam clips, you see him hold the product up while the clip plays so I guess it matters what your asking.

Randy

Postby tco65 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:15 pm

tco65
Green Belt

Hey Randy,

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. It seems like the webcam people already have a manufactured product along with the "Do I have the million dollar packaging" and the "Do I have a million dollar name" segments. It looks like most are already made and being sold. I would hate to go to the expense of having a product manufactured and then they tell you your name needs changed or your packaging needs changed or you idea basically bites. I would want their input BEFORE I had it made. Appears backwards to me...

Thanks for your input. I finally ended up getting my metal cosmetic compact mould made. I appreciate your advice on that. It lead me to a correct mould maker. They sent me 5 samples and they look good. A little tweaking needs to be done, but that's at their expense :-) I made sure to ask that question beforehand from all the good advice given out on this forum.

Appreciate it, Randy.

Tonya

Postby citizen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:39 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

Tonya...I agree that it seems backwards for them to wait till you've waisted valuable time and money on your product and then you go on the show and they tell you the packaging is wrong, name is wrong, and product stinks.

I'm on a campaign with the Big Idea. I've been emailing them everyday for over a month now and I'm going to continue till I at least get some sort of response or acknowledgment from them.

I'm taking Donny Deustch's advice..."No is not an option". My product isn't made and I'd love to here their experts advice on it. I personally write them an email daily. They aren't all simply "pimping" my product. Some are talking about how the show has helped me, others are about my product, others are about ideas for the show.

The show is like every other show on TV, they need stories that appeal to their viewers. I have sent a few emails about how they have reruns when there are alot of valuable inventors that would love to fill the time slots. I'm not rude about it though.

I also believe in Donny's other advice "Fake it till you make it". I present myself in a professional way as if I have a product on the market. I don't lie, but I don't tell them the whole truth.

My hopes is that they will eventually develop a segment that helps inventors like us in earlier stages of development.

Jason

Postby tco65 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:18 pm

tco65
Green Belt

Hey Jason,

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's a little backwards. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the show and am totally addicted to it. Just wish some of it addressed the average joe a little more. The most irritating segment to me is the "Big Idea" or "Bad Idea" debate segments when they have the less than B-list comedians on there trying to be funny offering their opinions but really just trying to get their face on the camera (in my opinion). Just seems like such a waste of airtime that could be filled with something more useful.

Well, keep up those emails! Let us know if you get a response!!

Tonya

Postby Work2XL » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:50 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Tonya,
I'm glad you were able to get help here. We have a lot of really good people here. If I remember correctly you were looking at a metal compact not plastic. Did you change directions?

There are a few issues I have with the Big Idea, like the Big Idea / Bad Idea. The one thing I like about it is it gives you insight on Donny's perspective and thought processes. I don't watch the show, I analyze it. I use it the help me ultimately plan my pitch for my product. Another facet to the equation is the screeners and what they look for. For video clips, I look for what they have in-common, and what they say or showed that make them stand out to the screener. For getting on the show, I'm going to have to pitch my product as a "family" inspired project and have my wife involved based on her looks. "Maximize your assets!"

Randy

Postby tco65 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:57 pm

tco65
Green Belt

Hey Randy,

Maximize your assets! I heard that!! I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

I went with the metal compact and found a metal fabricating manufacturer in China. They made my sample mould for $400 and when I place an order, I get the $400 back. There is no charge for corrections that need to be made to the mould nor any additional cost for the production mould. From the time I sent the specifications to 5 samples arriving in my mailbox was approximately 9 days. I think they are a good company. They answer my emails usually the same day and we seem to communicate very well. I'm in the process of having them sign a NDA, which they never hesitated to do, and then I'm sending them some pics of my cosmetics oven. It basically amounts to no more than a metal tea can so I'm sure they can produce it. He sent me pics of ovens that they manufacture now and some are very similar. I'm still VERY nervous about sending my pics off to China in fear that my idea will be stolen but I guess you have to trust someone at some point or your invention just sits in your head. It could either be the best or worst decision of my life. I'm going to visit their factory in May. THAT'S where I'm gonna try and make my Big Idea video. Me in China telling Donny that HE'S THE REASON I'M THERE!!!! Hopefully, it will stand out a little bit.

Donny getting ready to come on! Gotta go watch!

Take care, Randy,
Tonya

Postby Work2XL » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:06 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Wow, Tonya it looks like your well on your way. First, your contact in china sounds GREAT. Almost too good to be true. I'd love to know your contact for future reference if I need metal work outsourced at some time. I think I told you that the plastics company I work for has a sheet metal division. Even calling in on favors, I doubt I could get that price for your prototype. I've always heard that if you go over seas to china expect to get your product ripped off. The good news is if you have a patent, they can't import it here and you have 18 months to protect other countries. I wouldn't even attempt to file in countries you couldn't actively enforce it though.
Second, I've been told that a NDA is useless overseas. Especially if your not a Warren Buffet. "Do you really think you can prosecute a NDA infringement in a communist country where the government gets a HUGE percent of the companies profit? Do you really have the money to loose to try? How many units would you have to sell to recover the loss of profit?" That's what I was told when was looking for outside sources for my software creation. It really made me think.

Third, the video of you in China. Just my impression, but the show is really Red, White, and Blue. The "American" dream, ect. I'm not sure I'd really highlight the fact they it's not "made in America" and more manufacturing dollars are going overseas. I know often it's a necessity, but I'm not sure how well it will "Play in Peoria".

The tooling costs for you compact wouldn't be too much if done in "Soft tools". Nothing like if you planned on making "molds" for plastic. I think you made a good choice for initial investment costs. Plus you get a better look in metal and a more substantial feeling part (which implies value)

I wish you the best luck and keep us informed.

Randy

Postby tco65 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 pm

tco65
Green Belt

Hey Randy,

The company I'm dealing with is Oulang Metal Products. They have two factories. One for small metal gift items like my compact and the other for large metal equipment such as air conditioners, ovens, etc... The man I talk to is named Tommy. Company website http://www.sdoulang.com/ Men beware: Girly girl website. That's basically just a website for their metal gift items. I think their larger factory may manufacture my oven. I just received the signed NDA today and the letter of invitation that I needed for my business visa. I hope to visit both of their factories in May.

I realize I'm taking a risk in having my product manufactured in China. My position is I either put my trust in an overseas company and have it manufactured, or the idea goes no further than my head. I've checked every resource I can in the U.S. and just the oven would be around $80 per unit. The entire kit isn't going to sell for more than $40 so it's a choice I'm forced to make if I want my invention to become a reality.

While the NDA may not be worth the paper it's written on, it gives me a little piece of mind that they were willing to sign it without question. I've contacted several companies in China that would not even discuss the idea of signing a NDA so it makes me feel a little more secure. I can only hope for the best.

You're right about the Big Idea being red, white, and blue. Maybe my video from China wouldn't be a "big idea." :-) Might have to rethink that one.

Tonya

Postby Work2XL » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Thanks Tonya. Always good to have resources. Keep us posted on your progress.

Randy