FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderator: citizen

Re: New Site Forum Upgrade

Postby inventor-x » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Roger

Thank you for responding.

It is good to see the people that run this website pop-in once in awhile :D

Some of the Issues I've complained about the website has addressed & I thank you for that.

Updating our forums to run the latest release allows us to pick up modern features that people see elsewhere. No new features were being added to the legacy release we used before. And staying too far behind has its own set of problems, not the least of which is that the software is no longer supported.

Maybe if the website would have put this statement somewhere explaining the reason why the website made the new changes to the new format would have been appropriate giving the members a heads up & a chance to transfer any Information that they may have wanted to retain :?:

On another topic thread I asked about when we are going to be able to upload pictures with this new format :?:

Roger, Thank you again

Postby admin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:25 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

In the second post under this topic I did mention some details about (your) old data, but the notes there might not have been clear.

Old (pre-split) Private Messages

I'm assuming you want access to your old private messages. To get these, you can log in at the main site, http://inventorspot.com/user, using your current forum credentials and pick up your old private messages there. If you were signed up with an account before the split, you will have an account at both sites with the account and password name at the time of the split.

When we split the forum from the main site, the old private message functionality remained with inventorspot.com. All of the original information is still there, just in a "different" account.

Technical Reasons for the Upgrade and Split

The details of the reason for the split are kind of complicated. Originally, we tied together the account management systems of two different web software packages, Drupal and phpBB, to try to make a single site with all of the features that we wanted. The main site, with its content management features and the forum, with its corresponding features. However, the integration package between the two was becoming increasingly hard to maintain and was preventing us from updating either software package with much needed fixes. Splitting the two simplified our lives, allowing us to (more easily) upgrade the software packages independently. One ball to juggle instead of three.

It's a technical reason for the upgrade, but the new setup allows us to deploy our efforts towards more productive ends.

Image Uploads

I've had a (surprisingly) hard time locating an image upload package for phpbb 3.0. Many of the packages haven't been updated for 3.0 yet, which does leave people in the gap between an unsupported version and a version that doesn't have everything yet. It's definitely on my radar, and a priority.
Roger Simmons
Webmaster InventorSpot Forum and InventorSpot

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:44 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

X, think of it as exercising your brain. It's not good to get stuck in a mental rut. Many people who live cognizant lives in their 80's and 90's will say you need to keep challenging your brain. Our bodies function on a "use it or lose it" principle so I look at it as just carving new pathways in my cerebral cortex.

Postby inventor-x » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Roger

Thank you for clarifying a few Issues.

The reason for the new format.
How to retrieve old messages.
Why pictures don't load with the new format.
The website store Issue.

A few simple statements cleared up alot of Issues.

Thank you - Roger

Postby inventor-x » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:40 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Roger

Another member BSG found away to upload pictures.

At the bottom left of this posting reply there is an "Upload Attachments" file.

Apparently there is a size limit & file type, but it does work.

Postby admin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:08 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

Yes, you can upload images using the "Upload attachment" feature. See viewtopic.php?f=24&t=867&p=21695#p21695
Roger Simmons

Postby Michelle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Just spent a little time reorganizing the content in the forums. Hopefully, it is less cluttered and confusing to navigate?

Any suggestions for improvement? Please let me know.

We will be working on the appearance of the forums so that they are easier to read and navigate next.

Thanks,

Michelle

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:49 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

"Any suggestions for improvement?"

Yes, delete everything I've ever written on here.....

Postby inventor-x » Fri May 14, 2010 4:46 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Roger or Michelle

WTF?

The new upgrade as you call is not user friendly?

You can not drag, copy, paste, cut & the tools above this window do not work - B, I, U, Quote, Smiles?

No Board Index at the top of the page so one (1) has to use the back arrow to get back to the Board Index page?

Logging-in & logging-out are a pain?

If you expect people to use this website daily - you need to make some (GOOD) serious changes?

Postby admin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:49 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

Thanks Inventor-X, 2010 was kind of crazy for us. We'll be reviewing the design of the forum this year and will try to get all of the issues and usage problems resolved.
Roger Simmons
Previous