FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Does this type of product need a Patent?

Postby LilBudActionFigs » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm

LilBudActionFigs
White Belt

I've come up with an idea I think is fun and unusual, and want to find out if this is a type of product that needs a patent.

It's really just a novelty item, and doesn't really have any functional use except for to be visually entertaining and funny. I think it would be an item that stores such as "Hot Topics" might want to sale.

Also, if I do need a patent, do I do that before I approach any store to see if they would want to sell it? I can make the product myself without too much trouble, so I'm sure any company that wanted to could easily produce it if they had the idea.

I think the idea for the product is original and would sale well to teenagers.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Re: Does this type of product need a Patent?

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

There is a member named Citizen, who I believe won a contest with Spencer's Gift, and I can't recall whether he had filed a provisional beforehand. (I think he sold his idea outright for a few sows and bucks.) You might wanna PM him.

Yours sounds like it might just as well fall under a copyright. But yeah, this type of situation could be when you need protection the most.

Re: Does this type of product need a Patent?

Postby LilBudActionFigs » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:38 pm

LilBudActionFigs
White Belt

Thanks for that information. I do appreciate your response! I will definitely try to contact the member Citizen and see what they have to say too.