FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Legal Zoom

Postby apapage » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 pm

apapage
Green Belt

A client was referred to me last week that wanted to pursue patent protection for an ecommerce business. The client filed a provisional through legal zoom and sent me the application me as a basis for determining patentability. The application included only a high level explanation of the basic concept. After speaking with the client, I discovered that there were a number of patentable concepts which unfortunately were not disclosed in the provisional. The provisional application through legal zoom was worthless for the most part. This is not surprising when you consider that legal zoom is only a filing service; they do not review the content of the application without the optional attorney review. I am assuming that my client did not pay for the option.

Legal zoom advertise 199 for filing plus 329 for attorney review (528 not including filing fee). There are a number of patent professional that work with individual inventors that will do an admirable job reviewing and filing the inventor's disclosure within this price range.

Re: Legal Zoom

Postby ATtheLake » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:20 pm

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

The only thing I can say about Legalzoom.com is that 5-7 years ago, I used them to INCORPORATE 3 companies for me for my Real Estate holdings at, first a S-Corpration for services provided on fixing up any and all Real Estate projects ( installing roofs, new drywall, pressure washing, floors, painting, landscaping, etc. ) then I formed a LLC company with them to provide shelter to hold Real Estate at a partnership level... Next Company was a a C-type Corporation for the Management aspect of it all... well look up the advantages if your interested! and I think they pinged me for $300 bucks a pop at the times which was great considering that I got every single thing I needed done and taken care of.. 900-1000 for Three companies total... SATISFIED!

But that's all the experience i have with them... Iam thinking about re-using their services again for the newer field I am entering as being inventing..

for any that have read my other posts... I have my own company.. which economy is hitten rather hard.. double punch because.. business is down, renters suck, and the manufacturing job that I had on top of that let me go awhile back in the name of profit.. even though... LOL I heard they lost $130,000 in downtime in 3-4 months time after they made a business descion to let me go......... Them MBA know it All! lol.. I'll manage whether I have an MBA at this point or not.. getting close to that all mighty 60K piece of paper

Postby apapage » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:31 pm

apapage
Green Belt

I am certain that Legal Zoom did a great job in your instance and they probably did a good job with my client. My point is that one cannot rely on Legal Zoom to provide legal advice because they are only a filing service. Your situation was a simple one and it was something that you could have done on your own, but if you had 10 business partners and each member had a different share of responsibility under the LLC then you would need a lawyer to prepare the documents for the LLC. A provisional patent application is not a simple matter. Although there are no formal requirements, there are legal requirements that must be me including providing an enabling disclosure as well as a few others.

Postby ATtheLake » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:00 am

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

You are certainly correct. I would feel slightly hesistant about using them for a patent application as they more or less review and file, VS. building and completeting a patent..

Possibly could be used for trademark or copyright protection

Postby apapage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 am

apapage
Green Belt

They can definitely file copyrights without much risk, and can even perform the trademark search and a patent search. Often they give the results on trademark and patent searches without any legal advice. You will have to speak to an attorney to find out what the results mean.