FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

patent pending, working prototype, now what???

Postby margozaher » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:03 am

margozaher
White Belt

Hi,

I have a patent pending idea, and made 5 working prototype of it. I have also put together a folder of the presentation (why a company would be interested, profit etc) the patent pending paper, the write up and drawing of the product, How I came up with the idea and a Confidentiality Agreement per company that I approach. I have sent out this packet to 15 big companies in the industry but the product is a smaller fix so it is not going to be the next big treadmill that they are going to make millions on. So, I am looking for companies that are smaller in the fitness industry to take a look at my idea. Does anyone know of any? (I invented it to help people as I am sure most people do, but I would really like to see it made and used professionally to help in the fitness industry). Thank you for your responses.

Re: patent pending, working prototype, now what???

Postby CriterionD » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:13 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Hey Margo,

Are you in contact with anyone at these 15 companies or have you been sending your packet blindly? In any event, you might want to consider sending a pitch that may be a little bit more to the point, keeping in mind that your first step is to ideally establish a good contact or two and get a foot in the door. The most effective way to get an initially good reaction might be to evoke a feeling of "I would buy it." Off the bat is not generally the right time to make a full-fledged sales pitch.

You also want to make sure that everything you are sending is relevant. The text of the provisional app likely isn't until they are already interested, and unless it was prepared professionally it might generally make sense to call your invention "patent pending" without otherwise seeking to draw attention to the provisional application.

In any event, if you want to find more companies, Google is your friend. There are also company databases that will allow you to locate companies based on SIC code (and these databases are not 100% dependable but once you find a company you can Google the name and see what you find). Access to Reference USA may be available through your local, public library. D&B's Selectory database (www.selectory.com) is the best and they often offer 7-day limited trials that could help you out.

http://www.criteriondynamics.com