FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderator: citizen

Perfect Prototype Before Licensing?

Postby bhansel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:14 pm

bhansel
White Belt

Thanks for an informative forum! My husband has a "musician's tool" that he created and made a prototype. The prototype isn't perfect. It needs some enhancements to work properly. At this point, we don't know what should be our next step. We want to pursue the licensing avenue instead of the manufacturing avenue. So do you have to have a perfect prototype to approach the companies? I've read that we need to contact the marketing or intelluctual property rights department but what is the best way to approach them? Do we have them sign a non-disclosure/non-compete and then send them a presentation video perhaps? Thanks in advance for your help. We are very excited about this product! We want to go about it the right way.

Postby tony.fulford » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:44 pm

tony.fulford
Green Belt

bhansel

No you do not have to have a perfect prototype. As long as the prototype is sufficient enough to convey the final structure and the principal operation of the tool, it should be fine. You are right about contacting the marketing or IP department. Do it via a telephone call so that you are sure you get directed to the proper people. If you can get an NDA in place that would be great, but do not make it a show-stopper. I would ask them if they would like a presentation or video. It will give you something to talk to the about, and communication is key to making a deal.

Good Luck and come back with more if you need it. Let us know how it comes out!

Postby bhansel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:59 pm

bhansel
White Belt

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm wondering though about what you said regarding the NDA and not making it a show-stopper. If I disclose the product to a company without protection then they could just say thanks for the great idea...let's get started without you. If a company says that won't do a NDA what is the alternative? We haven't even talked to a patent attorney yet.

Beth

Postby tony.fulford » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:05 am

tony.fulford
Green Belt

bhansel

Beth, I hope you don't mind, but your post prompted me to do an additional post to the forum at:
to answer your question.

Thanks