FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderator: citizen

An inventor asks for help!

Postby 5letgazdag » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:17 am

5letgazdag
White Belt

Can somebody help a starting but very inventive inventor?

Postby minnesotainventor » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:43 pm

minnesotainventor
Blue Belt

Well...by the look of your icon...your way ahead of most inventors!

We are all here to help...what help are you looking for? The more specific you are the better the response.

However, not sure if I have seen many inventive inventors around these parts?! J/K Glad to see you here! What kind of area are you inventing in?

I have created the EZ SPIN Foam Frisbee Disc that is sold in Target stores currently...but, doing other inventing as well. Many here have taken products to market one way or another...so where do you need help?

Sincerely,
Steve Stark

Postby 5letgazdag » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:58 am

5letgazdag
White Belt

I depend on the front of the road. My ideas are not yet protecting. I need all help!

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:05 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

you can start helping yourself by reading this forum.

Start from the topics in the following order

1) patent search
2) provisional patent
3) marketing your idea
4) non-provisional patent

Idea Business and All Other Types of Business Realilty

Postby Mr Invention » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Mr Invention
Green Belt

I think you may want to start by figuring out if you have any money to invest in this business venture or you are like 99.97% of most people with an idea in that you have no money thus you want to sell, license or have some one spend all of their time, do all of the work and take all of the risk to make your germ of an idea successful. None of these things are going to happen in the real world of ideas or any other business venture. If in fact you actually do have some money to go along with your idea, contact me and I will tell you what not to do with that money in that I blew over $10,000 on my first idea in the 1960's and after 60 years in business, I know where all of the pitfalls are.

Postby Michelle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 am

Michelle
Black Belt

One of best ways to get a overview of Inventing it to read Myra's Invention Blog from the first article.

She goes step by step through the process. Start from her oldest post
http://inventorspot.com/writers/myra_per_lee

There is a ton of information on the site and in the forums so I'd suggest you start by reading and then follow up with specific questions you have.

The worst thing inventors do is think there is an easy way and then get caught paying companies to do their work for them and getting ripped off...so do your research first.

Good luck,

Michelle

Postby 5letgazdag » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 am

5letgazdag
White Belt

Thank you. I study it

Postby lindsey » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:24 pm

lindsey
White Belt

The first step I would recommend is a patent search. Most of us know that many companies are dying to let you pay them to do this.

I have found that for a lot of my inventions, I am able to do a primary patent search myself without paying for it.

Here is an article that may be useful! Hope it helps!
http://www.ideabuyer.com/news/how-to-conduct-a-patent-search/

Postby Patent_Attorney » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Patent_Attorney
Green Belt

lindsey wrote:The first step I would recommend is a patent search. Most of us know that many companies are dying to let you pay them to do this.

I have found that for a lot of my inventions, I am able to do a primary patent search myself without paying for it.

Here is an article that may be useful! Hope it helps!
http://www.ideabuyer.com/news/how-to-conduct-a-patent-search/

The first thing to do is get a profession patentability search and opinion and NOT from a scheister marking firm, but from a registered agent or attorney. If the opinion is worth even $10 there will be dozens of patents found because it should be an element by element search that can NOT be done by google, but by a patent classification search.

The least amount of patents that were relevant for any invention I have found was about 15 patents. Unless you are patenting a new DNA string there will be dozens of art.

A proper analysis will discuss rejections under 102 (anticipation) and 103 (obviousness) rejections that can be brought by the USPTO. Over 50% of the searches I have done leave the patent application with only very narrow undesirable claims that have no marketing/licensing value.

I have done opinions for companies and that is the first thing they look at before going forward. I do patentability opinions for $500, which is the cost I charged at my last firm of $1700. The cost of a good search was $450 and thus I only charge for me to do the search and throw in the opinion for free.

This small amount is critical to map out the future of your product. ALL COMPANIES do a patentability search before patenting their own inventions to avoid throwing tens of thousands of dollars at law firm full rates down a black hole.