FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

American Inventor Show - Episode 7 Semi-finals (4/27/06)

Postby thinkoutsidethecircle » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:33 pm

thinkoutsidethecircle
Site Admin

American Inventor is now in round two of the semifinals (there are four rounds). In each round, there are three semi-finalists ... but only one moves onto the Final Four. Last week, the Receiver's Training Pole was the first to move onto the Final Four. This weeks three semifinalists are (1) here comes Niya, (2) Ez-X portable gym, and (3) the double traction bike. Who's moving onto the Final Four this week? Anybody watching? Any comments? Join in at anytime.

(existing replies 1)

Postby thinkoutsidethecircle » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:34 pm

thinkoutsidethecircle
Site Admin

Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-05-04 14:20 | What happened to the ez-gym guy.

How did the ez-gym guy go bad? She sent him out why? I didn't get to see the episode my tivo messed up.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-28 19:50 | How is the world is the doll

How is the world is the doll an invention? Is it me or is this show trying a little too hard to be politically correct. When white people brought in talking dolls, they were laughed out of the place. A black woman comes in with a "multicultural" talking doll and it is an invention. What is the heck is the invention here?

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-28 04:26 | Francisco's Flawed Design

Despite all the revisions on the Double Traction Bike, Francisco failed to make the one absolutely essential addition: a front seat flatulence cushion.

email this comment
Amarsir | 2006-04-28 00:39 | IronPonyFabrication is a wise man

What with a billet frame and carbon fiber fenders, how would they be able to sell it for under a 1,000.00!
I'm kicking myself that that didn't even occur to me. You're completely correct!

Ah, just another way the whole product's infeasible. And since I didn't care for any of the inventions, Francisco's the inventor I'd want passed on of the 3.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 21:39 | Darn

I wanted Jerry to win...

I'm buying it! I don't care I'm buying the EZ-X portable gym...

email this comment
Scorpio (not verified) | 2006-04-27 21:26 | Hope for the small inventor

The commercial shown during A-I for the new product - was it Lysol - for dispensing mildew remover in the shower with a touch of a button was quite interesting too. Is it possible that A-I could help to build relationships with small inventors and large corporations? The program certainly helps both parties to appreciate the work involved by the entire team. As is painfully obvious to those of us who have been diligently striving toward this success for some time. Perhaps large Corporations will be more willing to work with small inventors as myself by recognizing the drive and determination of the small inventor. Additionally, perhaps the small inventor will learn that an idea is only an idea, and without all pieces of the puzzle to make up the entire picture there is no value in an idea without follow-through, team effort, massive amounts of capital, etc. etc. etc. Many years ago when I asked my patent attorney what the difference is between an invention that is successful and one that fails he answered “two things, a leader who has a burning passion to succeed with the product, and a proper budget“. Thanks A-I for providing an opportunity for the union of both inventors, mentors and the capital required to enlist other necessary team members for a successful outcome. I’m really not associated in anyway with the show A-I however one of the perspective judges who declined the opportunity to be on the show panel did refer me to my patent attorney approx. 15

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 20:29 | Mary Lou redeemed herself

Mary Lou redeemed herself with this pick (although maybe it wasn't truly her own, they just make it look that way perhaps?)

Anyway, I would have been pretty pissed had Niya gone through - and with Mary Lou judging I thought it was inevitable but amazingly the show got it right again.

So far I would have picked the same two finalists, which is keeping me a happy viewer :)

email this comment
Scorpio (not verified) | 2006-04-27 20:21 | Got a lump in my throat

Francisco, you have touched my soul with a beautiful display of your passion and humility. MaryLou, it was big of you to be gender unbiased. Bicycle enlarged for adults will certainly foster happy family rides with parents and their offspring, helping to convey team spirit and cooperation. ABC you rock both in my throat and through humanitarian compassion. Extreme Makeover is now my second favorite show.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 20:08 | Where were the tears?

Is it my imagination, or did Mary Lou seem composed? You don't suppose she read any of the bloggers' remarks about her, do you?

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 20:06 | Correction to Alexis

Francisco is NOT living the American dream....he is unwittingly experiencing the American nightmare. America offers the biggest hopes....and the biggest disappointments. He is a PR stunt and he will fall hard. Nothing like raising a kid's hopes and setting him up for the "gee, if only you tried harder, you would have gotten ahead--but never give up" spill. We do need those token cases of "This is what America is all about" and "I came to America with nothing, and now I am rich", but I don't think Francisco will be one of those.

email this comment
Alexis | 2006-04-27 19:42 | I will be your hero

by Inglesia (not Julio - his son)

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:40 | Got a point there... Maybe

Got a point there... Maybe develop a product line? Or, like Peter keeps telling him, make it attachable to any bike (granted safety might be more of an issue then), but it might help cut costs.

email this comment
Alexis | 2006-04-27 19:39 | copy cat comments

anonymous posted this link in my Final 12 Products Already on the Market article.

check out this link to see a similartandembike

email this comment
bottleslingguy | 2006-04-27 20:21 | Differences

The Viewpoint's front pedals drive a chain connected to the back tire. Francisco's drives the front.

The front person on the Detract (bad name in my opinion) doesn't steer. The Viewpoint's front rider does.

I get frustrated over all the drawn out suspense. It's over the top and getting very annoying. And...Can someone PLEASE give MLboo-hoo a makeover? Why does she always look like she's just woke up? Maybe the show is putting her stylist to sleep.

Ironpony made an excellent point about the price of the bike..

Please check out my invention at Bottle Sling - Invention Gallery .

email this comment
Ironponyfabrication | 2006-04-27 19:38 | Wait the bike is now out of reach of poor kids

What am I missing here, isn't the reason the bike was invented was because the kid was poor? How is a kid from a low income family going to afford that bike! What with a billet frame and carbon fiber fenders, how would they be able to sell it for under a 1,000.00! I agree the bike looks good and seems to work well, but I think the kid had a great idea that just got priced out of business. If a kids parent could afford one of them, and had more than one kid, why not just go to Walmart and buy two cheaper bikes.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:37 | Bilenky Viewpoint is not

Bilenky Viewpoint is not removable, and is not what you would call "cool looking" to appeal to the younger audiences.

email this comment
Sy (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:50 | This bike could never be patented because it's been done

In response to the Bilenky Viewpoint "Not being cool looking" I can only respectfully say, "Doesn't matter". It's not new. The patent office will toss this out instantly. IT'S THE SAME BIKE. ABC could be up for a lawsuit because of it. I'm not an inventor but do know something about patent law. "If it's not new or novel" it can not be patented !

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-28 07:16 | BIKE IS DEFINITELY PATENTABLE!

Despite the harshing on the fact that there's a bike out there that's similar, and people's claim that it can't be patented, that's BS. It is a major improvement. The angle of sitting is different. There's protection from the wheel. That's different. And the mechanism is detachable. That's very different. And those are the modifications we saw. Utility patents are constantly awarded for improvements to the way things work. That means this would be a contender. As well, he could apply for a design patent to protect the unique look of his idea.

Ask a patent lawyer. They'll tell you there are MANY work arounds for patents. My two cents, I think the bike that's similar and already on the market is enjoying the free exposure of saying it's not different. Smart marketing, but doesn't make a bit of difference.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:35 | Francisco is definitely the

Francisco is definitely the only one who actually used the $50,000 to make DEFINITE improvements to his product. He listened to the judges (as much as he could in 30 days) and designed a sweet-looking product. I think the judges hit the nail on the head: there are too many dolls, too many exercise equipment sets. Yes, there are lots of bikes out there, but Francisco's is unique. Plus, kids do this all over the place anyway. We might as well give them a bike that will let them do it safely, rather than just riding on the handlebars. Niya was improved a lot too, but not nearly as much as the bike.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:35 | bike has been out there for years. It's called Bilenky Viewpoint

go to:
www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html
SAME bike. Can't believe all of us got swindled. Another inventor could have taken his spot with something original.

email this comment
Ted (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:28 | Cool Bike

Only thing that really classifies as an invention, imho.
Truly reflects both a cultural phenomena as well as a legitimate transportation
and exercising opportunity, in sales, accessories, and pop culture.

email this comment
shelley corbin (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:27 | all three are great, bike was cool.

all three inventions were very nice, i really felt bad for the ez-portable gym. good idea, but obvious safety issue, dam* cool bike! with gas going to 3 dollars and up, all kinds of bikes and treadle machines will be created in the near future.

what i what to know is, does abc/simon cowell keep control off the prototypes? do the inventors get to keep their prototypes and property rights(or whatever its called)? if thats the case, then they come out ahead. does anybody know? the abc web site STINKS! there is nothing on there, you would think its a local show in peoria or something.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:26 | Song

What was the song at the end of the show??? Title & Artist please. I must know. It was great!

email this comment
Alexis | 2006-04-27 19:04 | Francisco really is living

Francisco really is living the American Dream . I know I'm sappy but I'm really happy for him (of course, I would have been happy for anyone who moved forward).

email this comment
Alexis | 2006-04-27 18:58 | The Winner is: Francisco -

The Winner is: Francisco - the bike guy

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:01 | Good I am glad he is going

Good I am glad he is going to be right at the top. Thats just what america needs is a new fun way to bike ride. Woo Hoo. Great job and good luck Francisco.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:17 | really great, next time

really great, next time don't copy someones idea

email this comment
Alexis | 2006-04-27 18:54 | Ez-X is out of the running

Ez-X is out of the running

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:53 | She sent Ez gym home wow.

She sent Ez gym home wow.

email this comment
Aries | 2006-04-27 18:47 | I really don't think Mary

I really don't think Mary Lou has an easy choice. The niya doll - its still just a doll. The ez-x portable gym - how many people travel and work out? the bike - the market is not that big for this product either (although it looks really cool). my vote is the for the portable gym. biggest market.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:49 | I disagree I think the bike

I disagree I think the bike

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:45 | They put make up on him.

They put make up on him. Did you see all that blush. I hope he wins he is so determined. I don't like that British guy he is mean. Real bikers don't care if they have to buy a new bike or not I would by it. I think it would be great fun to ride with my children and not have to worry about where they are in regards to the road. I think it is an awesome idea.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:37 | stop with the comments on

stop with the comments on his face ... a lot of those acne medications (not OTC) are expensive. maybe he does not have the money. don't you think he has enough of a complex? dont you think he has a mirror and can see his own face.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:40 | his face

I don't mean to be rude. But he is on t.v. so why can't some one help him out a little.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:35 | that was a great idea to

that was a great idea to expand the line to a lot of dolls - Niya and friends. i was wondering how she was going to improve it.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:30 | nice shirt francis

nice shirt francis

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:30 | niya

I like the new song

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:29 | bike looks alot cooler.

bike looks alot cooler. mary lou should be happy about that

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:32 | yeah it does it looks

yeah it does it looks futuristic

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:28 | Niya looks GREAT

Niya looks GREAT

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:27 | exercise

I hope the corrections officer wins he is funny.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:24 | bike kid

I love this show but would somebody please give that kid some Proactiv or something or at least
pop some zits for him. Yuck!

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:33 | hell yeah whats up with his

hell yeah whats up with his face

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:23 | pink dress niya

maybe the pink dress niya doll is the new and improved doll that was created after this episode was produced (which was weeks before we actually saw this episode).

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:19 | smart kid - tandem bike guy

smart kid - tandem bike guy - may change target group. smart. we may see a significant change in the bike

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 19:14 | The bike has been out there

The bike has been out there before,whats
next for repeat products in the final 12.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:13 | Ez-x portable gym - i bet

Ez-x portable gym - i bet that guy wins ... the twist and lock. the twist and lock can work on regular weights.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-04-27 18:11 | I can't see the niya doll

I can't see the niya doll winning. its been out there for such a long time already and there are so many similar dolls out there. so its not really a new idea. just the three different language (I don't know any dolls that speak 3 languages) is new.

email this comment
Aries | 2006-04-27 18:07 | Niya

I saw the Niya doll being sold online. But it had a pink dress on.

email this comment
Gary B (not verified) | 2006-04-28 21:05 | Esp 7

I was not excited about the doll, but she not only made the doll better, she also created 6 more. She spent money wisely. The bike did not work when bigger person was up front and main rider was smaller. It is dangerous. He should not of won. Is he legal? I would check that before I gave him $1,000,000. The gym did not work and that guy can't have children now. He got nailed right in the groinals. he now talks like Mike Tyson.

email this comment

(existing replies 2)

Postby thinkoutsidethecircle » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:34 pm

thinkoutsidethecircle
Site Admin

bottleslingguy | 2006-04-29 05:21 | Groinals?

That's some funny stuff, thanks for the laugh!

I hate picking on peoples' ideas, (I even sat next to Fransico in LA and gave my pitch right after him, so I feel a sort of bond with him and don't wish him bad luck.) but since he's come this far and has a shot at representing the "best" in American innovation, I am compelled to point some things out which may be of concern.

Gary commented that it was difficult for a smaller person to steer with the weight of a heavier person on the front. He's right, the whole idea of having to move the added weight of a passenger goes against common sense. What is the advantage? The Viewpoint's steering is independant from the position of the rider above the front (steering) wheel. That person is also the one who steers, that's got to be much easier and less clumsey at slow speeds.

When I auditioned in NYC I saw Francisco's bike leaning against the wall. I was interested in it because I have been thinking about how someone could make a two-wheel drive bicycle but for one rider, not a tandem situation (I've seen ones that use a strong cable sort of like a string trimmer, that is driven from the back tire, but I don't like them). My first reaction was how would the "driver" see around the "passenger"? I see they fixed that by lowering the seat. Then I thought this really wasn't a true 2wd bike and felt bad for the inventor because what "expert" judge would choose this as the next big thing?

Peter's concept of an attachment that will universally fit on any bike is a good one, but I don't think putting a rider, who is not in control and just added weight, on the front is a good idea. It makes it harder to steer, why would you want to make something harder to use?

He's improved it aesthetically but I still think the Dtract's whole concept is going in the wrong direction. It is almost as if it is going against the grain of common sense just to prove this show's credibility. Now if Francisco made an attachment that went on the back, he'd have something. Oh that's already been invented, it was called the Banana Seat. The two riders shared not only the long seat, but also the pedals. One foot on top of the other or side to side if they were small enough. Anyone remember those? And Sissy Bars?

Please check out my invention at .

email this comment