FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby Average Inventor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:10 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Answering you question about the 6-8 weeks letter, or if they made it into another structured date letter to give to you if you made it to the next round, They follow up and let you know but not always by the time set on the letter. Also there are a few rounds you need to get through to get on the show.

The basic breakdown as I understand it is they look for 20-30 good ideas per city. So let's say 30 and then they weed out ideas they feel they won't be able to get patent protection or any other snag they come up with over the months while they travel from city to city. I think (this is only an educated guess) they weed down the 20-30 ideas to 10-15 per city which is where you would receive a letter letting you know your one of few who are still in it from your city. Once they have visited all of the cities they are left with about 60-70 ideas they are interested in. They further weed out ideas that they feel will take to long to create or have limited market appeal (now we are down to 50) and from there they assign "champions" for ideas to lobby the selection board as to why this idea should make the final show. Last year that number went from 50 to 14 I believe and if you made in it in the top 50 you got a letter. If you made it on the show you got a call and a letter I believe.

Postby kiskom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:15 pm

kiskom
White Belt

MRSB,

Congratulations to you and your sister for making it to the final filming, good job!. Try to remain hopeful. They have a lot of auditions to go through. EE won't make there final decision until they have researched and reviewed all the filmed inventions from the five Cities. So try to enjoy the ride! Good Luck!

thank you for your responses!

Postby Mrsb » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:04 am

Mrsb
White Belt

THank you for the responses. Our product is already patented (we have what is known as prior art patent) Don't exactly know what that means and it has the three criteria the show is looking for. This is such a long wait though. Thank you and I hope we get called back.

Congratulations

Postby Crawldaddy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Crawldaddy
White Belt

Hello MrsB. Another, congrats to you and your sister. I was in Atlanta and am in the same boat. We may have met in the green room. I was in there from about 10:30 to 12:00. The events in Atlanta were amazing and well worth the ride to Atlanta from NC. I wish you luck. May the best inventions be selected! I was initially told 6-8 weeks, but the paperwork say as late as July 31. It sounds like AverageInventor knows the routine. Thanks for the details AI.

Postby Average Inventor » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:54 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Crawldaddy,

Your welcome!

Also welcome to the Inventorspot forum. We hope you can share your experience with fellow inventors and add to some of our ongoing discussions. It's nice to have another Everyday Edisons hopeful amongst our ranks :)

to Crawldaddy

Postby Mrsb » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

Hi, and thank you. When you left the judges with the tv cameras did they say they would contact you in 6-8 weeks or did you just get the letter? The reason I ask is that we were just handed the letter and when we went back to the "green room" we were told congratulations and we should know something in 6-8 weeks! Congratulations to you and did you see two women with a window display??? That was us by the way. we were carrying around a small window display -did you have anything you were carrying?
Also, how many people by noon had made it into the green room, do you know? Thanks in advance, this last 3 weeks have been awfully long and I know the next few weeks will be as bad!

Congratulations again.

Postby Crawldaddy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 am

Crawldaddy
White Belt

Hello MrsB,
Yes, I was told when leaving the studio that I would be contacted in 6-8 weeks. According to "Average Inventor" there are several cuts that will occur between now and July 31st. I suspect that EE is performing a feasability study now for the candidates from the Atlanta show. That study will eliminate some of the candidates. Hence (hopefully) the call/letter in 6-8 weeks to let us know if we have made it to the next round. However, it makes sense that the final cut will not come until EE has all qualified candidates to chose from.
As for the green room, we did meet. I remember your window display. My device was boxed up on a dolly. I had mentioned to you that the filming would be during a second presentation to another panel of judges. I think we were in the same batch of inventor that were taken into the hallway just outside the studio. I can't remember if you were filmed before or after me. I had a wheeled device that needed some assembly.
I have no idea how many people came through the green room. Were you instructed to go back to the green room after filming?

Hi again

Postby Mrsb » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

Yes, I remember you now, you had the large box that needed some assembly. No, we were not told to go back to the green room, we just did for some reason (don't know why now) but after that we just left. My brother in law came to pick up the display and my sister and I were hungry so we went to eat lunch and did not go back. I wanted to but I had to get home(kids and husband) anyway, I am glad to hear you made it this far and hopefully we will both be back!!

thank you for responding! Do you happen to know who the female judge in the filming room is?? I had heard she was "big" in the marketing in the u.s. but I cannot find her name and they did not introduce us.

Postby Crawldaddy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:31 pm

Crawldaddy
White Belt

When I left, my feet didn't touch the ground for days! It was extremely validating to have the judges also believe in my invention.
I do not know who the marketing lady was. They said her name during the judging, but I can't remember. I'll do some research and let you know if I find out.
She told me "No", but fortunately the other two said "Yes".
Did all 3 judges tell you "yes"?

To Crawldaddy

Postby Mrsb » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

Hi again and thanks for posting. I don't remember much from what was said in the introduction arena but I know who the two men are (I did some research) but I can't find her name. Yes, we got 3 yes "s and the woman was the first one to congratulate us and say that we have taken something that was typically only for the wealthy and move it into the hands of many. My sister said that she clapped her hands but I was too nervous to pay that close attention. I did the demo, my sister handed me the curtains and she was watching the reactions. We were thrilled to get all three nodding in agreement and telling us that our prototype and presentation was very good. and yes, if you can find out her name that would be great! Thanks in advance!
PreviousNext