FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderator: citizen

Processes and Systems

Postby tony.fulford » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:32 pm

tony.fulford
Green Belt

When I first started in the invention business my thought process was a single solution to a single problem. As I progressed I began to think more about total solutions.

Almost everything done in most any line of business is a process. That process is generally made up of sub-processes that are accomplished in series and possibly some in parallel. Depending on the nature of the business, hard things (e.g., materials, tools, food items, etc.) are required to accomplish them. If you can begin to examine the processes and the things required to accomplish them, then you can develop systems (multiple ideas) rather than a single idea. Looking at the total process gives you the opportunity to come up with a totally new process and the hard things to accomplish it. Coming up with a new process greatly increases your chances of ideas that are new and unique. That, in turn, increases chances of having a patent that will issue.

Product life cycles are diminishing (becoming shorter). Although a utility patent is good for twenty years, product marketability is far less than that. It is very difficult to come up with a product today that has a marketability life of five years.

That is the reason you need to begin to think in terms of new processes that require new things. A totally new process that requires new things has a much longer marketability life span. It also puts the potential licensee in a much more favorable position with their competition.

Examples:
    There was a time when windows were constructed onsite from all the parts (jambs, casings, upper & lower sash, stool, apron, etc.). Then someone came up with the pre-hung window that had all the parts assembled and ready to insert in an opening in the wall. This pre-hung window is what I refer to as a system. The same was true for doors before the pre-hung door.

I don't see how it could be done, but some of you may; Roofing is done by applying decking (usually 4' x 8' plywood sheets), then applying tar paper, and then applying the final roof covering. What if roofing could be supplied in 4' x 8' sheets with everything already applied to it?
Since switching my focus to processes and systems, I have come up with two such systems (one with five ideas/inventions and one with seven ideas/inventions) that are probably going to be more successful that all my other single ideas combined.

The method I used is contained in my topic:
Let me hear your questions and thoughts!

Postby tony.fulford » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:56 am

tony.fulford
Green Belt

Something came up earlier and I did not have time to finish this post. I have edited it to include an example.

Postby tony.fulford » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:41 pm

tony.fulford
Green Belt

I owned an Italian restaurant in the 1980's and we always tried to come up with ways to prepare, or at least finish, our menu items in the oven. Oven cooking:
  • Requires less attention from the chef
  • Provides surround heat cooking
  • Produces a more consistent product

Can you come up with ideas for cookware and methods that can bring this oven preparation to the home cook?

Postby tony.fulford » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:41 am

tony.fulford
Green Belt

Home Automation and Security

This is an industry segment that is growing and getting a lot of attention. Click the following link to get some idea of what is happening in the industry:

Can you come up with ideas and systems for home automation and security?