FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Advice from Joe Safuto - on American Inventor Auditions

Postby Michelle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:48 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I had asked Joe Safuto, Finalist on American Inventor and inventor of PureFlush, to share his tips with future auditioners of American Inventor.

Joe posted this on the site last night in the comments. I edited it a bit so its easier to read and thought it should be shared here:

Michelle,

So sorry I haven't had time to blog some tips for the AI 2 auditions. I've been working on a business plan for the last week and it's taken all my energy and time. It's 2am in the morning and I'm exhausted. I'm on the brink of a million dollar investment and hope and pray and BEG it comes thru. YAY or NAY. It's always a dice toss.

Anyway here goes off the top of my tired head:

I was talking with the casting director of American Inventor today. I will not name names but she is a doll. She would love to have the energy from the contestants that occured naturally last year.

Please don't make up sob stories because you think the sympathy vote will fly. Be real.

Not all inventions are good.

Please don't obey all the rules.

If you have real passion then go with it.

Try not to be intimidated by the guy or girl next to you. Most of the time they are scared sh@less that your invention is more worthy.

Some of us final twelve had mediocre inventions but were able to move forward because we showed pizazz. If you got it flaunt it (no sexual reference meant).

Smile, smile, smile. It goes a long way.

If a judge tells you that your invention isn't cutting it ask what could. level." Voila. Very rarely is anyone showing up with a finished invention. If you are they might pass on it because there's no development footage they can shoot. Understand? You're there to show the process from how I do to improve it...when they give you the advice then state "well that's why I'm here ...to help take it to that next lm concept to market.

Let the judges know you need their skills to bring your undeveloped invention to a higher more functional level.

Also, bring some food and drink because you don't want to lose energy by being dehydrated and hungry.

Make sure your cell phone is charged and on vibrate.

By all means speak clearly and POSITIVELY in front of the judges.

Don't flirt.

Try not to cry.

Be commanding.

Also remember they will edit the footage to create heroes and villians, stars and duds. Be alert.

If anyone wants to drop me an e-mail please do and I'll answer any questions when I'm more alert. (EDITOR NOTE: PLEASE JUST ASK HERE SO EVERYONE ELSE CAN LEARN TOO.)

I'm off to bed now. Lots happening tomorrow. Stay well all and GOOD LUCK.

Joseph Safuto

Postby scrapbookdi » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:03 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

Joseph,

Thanks for the tips.

By the way...any word on your invention? I think about it everytime I flush my toilet :lol:

Postby pktwatch » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:02 pm

pktwatch
Yellow Belt

That sounds like good advice, thanks!

Butch

Postby Burgie » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:09 am

Burgie
White Belt

Yes, Joe your pitch last year had that effect on me too. Now I shut the lid, push the lever and hope to hell my legs don't get sprayed as the mist squirts out from under the lid. Weird.

Hey, what about the LA audition for Fortune - whatta crock! It was nice to see you there.

???

Postby Heather615 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:29 am

Heather615
White Belt

Any specific information on what you mean by please don't obey all of the rules?

Postby Michelle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:09 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I can't answer for Joe but what I have heard from a number of contestants is that its a television show, and they want to create stories...not all of them truthful or flattering.

If you obey their hints, sometimes, you can get caught looking mighty stupid so be careful and don' obey all their "rules", unless they really are the rules.

Postby scrapbookdi » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:17 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

So in other words, someone may give you advise to act a certain way but it won't be to your benefit but to theirs in making the cut look like you are some clueless dope!

Postby Michelle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:19 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Yup..so foloow the real solid rules, but don't let them coax you into doing anything you're not comfortable doing.

Postby scrapbookdi » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:59 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

That's good info because I am one that is gullible and probably would do something stupid because "one of them" told me to do it :oops: