FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Patented pieces used for new invention

Postby PS Technics » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:32 pm

PS Technics
White Belt

Question: Suppose I invent a new GAME that uses a rubber ball, tent interlocking poles, and a pair of goggles. There is no other game on the market as this...but it uses a these 3 familiar items. Must you do research on all three components?
THEN: Must you find a company that will develop a never-seen-before pair of goggles, ball, and interlocking poles? This is crazy!
What steps must I safely take to share this invention? I have made a proto-type of the above familiar items. Would it be better to try to find a toy company to bring this invention to market? My guess is that most toy companies would not welcome others ideas.
I promise...I'll do better reading the posts already submitted. I'm just anxious to get moving on this. PS

Postby Average Inventor » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

I thought you were speaking about one item in your other post. Yes you can protect intellectual property of a game and most if not all of the items are generic items that are public domain since the patent on them expired along time ago. Therefore anyone can make use or sell them at will but you can't get a patent on them individually since they have been disclosed in the past.

On a side note please post these types of questions in the patents section or general section not the "Contests, Licensing Shows, and Other Inventor Events" thanks!

Re: Patented pieces used for new invention

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:43 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

PS Technics wrote:Question: Suppose I invent a new GAME that uses a rubber ball, tent interlocking poles, and a pair of goggles. There is no other game on the market as this...but it uses a these 3 familiar items. Must you do research on all three components?
THEN: Must you find a company that will develop a never-seen-before pair of goggles, ball, and interlocking poles? This is crazy!
What steps must I safely take to share this invention? I have made a proto-type of the above familiar items. Would it be better to try to find a toy company to bring this invention to market? My guess is that most toy companies would not welcome others ideas.
I promise...I'll do better reading the posts already submitted. I'm just anxious to get moving on this. PS

Hey PS, if those are the elements that you are actually using (I'm just guessing because you say you made a prototype of them) then I'd say you've already shared this invention...but not safely. I'm not kidding. You seem to have given too much info, but not enough, at the same time.

I never thought I'd say this but, I think you should actually share the rest of your idea right here, right now. There will be people here (including myself) who will vouch for your disclosure. You don't even have to give out your real name, except to the people who are willing to bear witness for you.

The risk to you, in what you've already shared, is if you have triggered someone else to figure out what your idea is. To disclose the rest of it here may forfeit your option to pursue international rights, but it would still preserve a market of 300 million Americans. You have what I see as an easy choice to make.

On the brighter side, nothing earns more of my respect than a good product, even if it's packaged in a plain cardboard box. Quality comes with the product, not the packaging. So...it's totally do-able for the average individual to outsource custom generic components, have them shipped to one location for packaging and/or assembly (even if that location is your garage).

You can establish domestic rights immediately, by fully disclosing your idea here. I'm just curious to see if you'll do it.