FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby Sunny » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Sunny
Yellow Belt

Hi LHK,

I am in a similar situation, of unable to find investors / funding, for prototyping, validation, manufacturing etc,etc. You mentioned you have got your invention evaluated by an independent research firm. Could you reveal the nature or product category of your invention ? the name of this firm / web-address / location etc ? How much were you charged for the service? How did you find them? and what was your experience like ? If you think you would like to be of help to others in this forum, could you be as specific as you possibly can.

Thanks,

Sunny

SCORE

Postby laughinghousekeith » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:35 pm

laughinghousekeith
White Belt

Believe it or not, I have got more help at my community college than anywhere. The SCORE council people are great- retired execs, business owners, ect. They have set everything up-- for free. SCORE has a website,just google it.
I would really suggest the focus group. I did this thru small business assistance at the college. They can give you a realistic view of the concept validity and future obstacles. One of the guys in my focus group was an inventor that spent over 25k on an invention and never made a dime. He brought his invention in and - long story short- I think if he had went thru a focus group they would have told him to not waste his money. I would have.
It is a fine line between keeping your idea safe and getting honest ideas on whether to pursue it or not. If more people did this , the rate of patents that fail to make money would not be so high.
My idea is marine/boat related. Nothing sexy. No moving parts.
Good luck.

Postby makeworldbetter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:15 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

The invention itself rather than inventor should be in front of focus group. And a public website is only good for protected invention. And that still depends on the level of protection...

I have several inventions and I feel I won't be comfortable to talk about them at website unless I already made it public. Which means already pass patent application stage and probably prototyping.

Postby makeworldbetter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Oh, I would feel comfortable to talk about my idea after USPTO publicated my patent application.
Don't you feel bad if someone tell you that he had that same idea sometimes ago, especially when we have a first to invention system?

focus group

Postby laughinghousekeith » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:30 am

laughinghousekeith
White Belt

Of course I meant the inventor WITH his invention in front of the group. It would be pointless to not show invention.
It would be nice if there were way to have people on this site to rate your patented product on a scale, and get honest feedback.

Re: focus group

Postby makeworldbetter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

laughinghousekeith wrote:Of course I meant the inventor WITH his invention in front of the group. It would be pointless to not show invention.
It would be nice if there were way to have people on this site to rate your patented product on a scale, and get honest feedback.

I like that too. Yet on a public website, how do you suggest we also protect the idea?

good question

Postby laughinghousekeith » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 am

laughinghousekeith
White Belt

It would boil down to how trusting the person is with the group, relative to how soon they would come forward. I think I would do it after the patent but before spending sums of money on manufacturing, marketing, et.
Previous