FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby ideagirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:30 pm

ideagirl
Green Belt

here's a hint about your presentation. 2 min is not a lot of time. Address the problem you are solving. Discuss why your solution is far superior. Create enthusiam. Do not get bogged down in the details. You want them to be interested not numb with the technical bits. They don't have to understand how it works, just what it does.

EE in Dallas...was a go for me!

Postby cejela » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:51 pm

cejela
Yellow Belt

Hi,

I was reading some of your questions and noticed some differences to the experience I had yesterday.
First off, getting the pass was very worth it to me because of getting there around 7:45 meant either standing behind about 200-300 people with only 2 or 3 check in people or the 5 I had to wait behind which took about 15 minutes to get finished there. I was handed a Thomas card but was not sure what that meant because we came with homemade prototypes but also a large ear which we made to show our jewelry invention. If anyone here met me yesterday with my daughter and we spoke openly about our idea, please be discreet with not disclosing it future. We have it PPA'd but now that we may be able to go future for the show itself..we better keep it under wraps.

We were happy to have others join my daughter and myself who had gone through once already and others who had been to San Jose but rejected there with nothing but a drawing. They came with a prototype to Dallas though ,which improved the change to a go on pass in Dallas. Saying that, I made a mock poster to further explain how our idea could be marketed which I think was a good idea that seemed to be well recieved by the panels we saw.

We went to the Thomas room with 4 judges, 3 guys and one lady, ready for action being told by a person waiting for the second time that 2 minutes included your set up time. That helped me be prepared to speak and having my daughter assist with the handouts and little hand made prototypes did get us started quickly. We did not show the small prototypes there though, so our big demenstration made it work.
About the poster though:
I paid about 50 bucks at office depot to make my poster which I put velcro on to attach to a 3 panel poster board for viewing and the small posters to hand out to read close up.

We did get a go and were very happy to read that on the board in the waiting room waiting about 20 minutes to see it. It took us an hour however to be seen by the filming room with 4 judges for us again 1 lady and 3 men. And an attorney it seemed with a labtop and others sprinkled in the room on chairs.. they told my daughter that they had people there to hear the presentation too, so I am not sure who they were. I am not even sure who all the judges were and their background at all!
We had 3 yeses and a no..which the main guy said that the male judge who said no did not understand the way this product would work for the public, so he said yes. Of course we were thrilled and they said we could go home because we were finished for the day. But then while We were getting ready to leave an assistant came and said they wanted us to go to the edison panel to show our product to them and to bring back the small prototypes to the filming room before we left for the day.

They wizzed us by about 20 people sitting and waiting to be seen by that Edison panel and the man said we had to be seen first because the main judges wanted us to be seen right away. The edison panel we saw was more like 15 people sitting around 3 sides of the room. We showed them our stuff again (and again more men than women) and they looked at our small samples after the presentation with the large model was over and seemed to be liking it a lot too.

So then we went back to take the small samples to the filming room again and the guy who had been assisting in the room took our samples and said "What it is worth, a women from QVC loved our idea!"
My PPA work seemed to be missing from the legal guy who told us so after the filming, too which worried me, but was said when I asked about it when we returned by an assistant that it must have been with the legal group already in another room already..which seemed good to me.
The whole fast morning rocked my world and we were gone my 11:30.

Anyway by reading some of the posts here I think someone said that the big Edison Panel might approach you if the show does not. take your item for the show.?? I would be happy with that of course. Anyway to get someone to bring it to market and get paid for royalties would be great in my book! Does anyone know more about if that has happened to anyone that has been on this web group?

And if we are now being considered does it mean that we can not approach anyone ourselves? I made some modifications to my original PPA too which I could not take with me, not having the confirmation back yet, so I am hoping that won't muddy the waters that it will come back after our day there. The new PPA meets the full scope to the idea better and had changes as well from my original PPA I brought to the show. Do we need to tell them that?? And if so how?

Sorry this is so long, but thought it might help anyong going to another city! :lol:

Postby citizen » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:59 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

Cejela, congrats!

Sounds like you made a great impression on everyone.

Keep us posted.

I'm heading to the Boston auditions in May.

Jason

Have a great time and good luck Jason!!

Postby cejela » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:30 pm

cejela
Yellow Belt

Another suggestion, be prepared to practise your schtick well to feel more comfortable!! Get a good night sleep too! I lucked out that my lack of sleep the night before made me crash as soon as I got back to my friends house outside of Dallas, so I was greatful to start early with a gold pass and be back early too. Although I missed the speakers..

Postby ideagirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:43 pm

ideagirl
Green Belt

congratulations . I was filmed right before you, and I was wondering if you and your daughter made it. I didn't get to really see your display (as I was too excited), but I did notice how proffesional it looked. Glad you made it to the Edison room- really big with a bunch of serious guys!! Why to impress QVC.

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:55 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Don't worry too much about your PPA, if they do do your idea, they will ask you to give them the copy of your PPA. And I would image they will tell you that you need to file a non-provisional one as well.

wow, E.E. has grown

Postby Mrsb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

Hi and congratulations but it sounds like Everyday Edisons and the formats for its auditions have really changed! (I guess as they keep going, it will get bigger and bigger) but in Atlanta there were only 3 judges in the preliminary room (with 2 guys sitting in the dark nearby so a total of 5) and then we went to the green room and only 3 judges and I did not see anyone standing in the shadows save the camera people and technical persons. I would love to have heard by now if we are moving on but with each audition, it would appear that they will have a tough job culling us out. My sister and I are still hoping and praying to hear from them but this sounds like a snowball rolling and getting bigger with each city and I mean with the marketing people too. sounds like there is a lot more exposure for your products with the later audition calls. Still, I live close to Atlanta, had to come here.

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:45 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Mrsb

Not really changing that much.
From people's posts I realize that The two panels of EE's are different. Thomas panel is the small panel with 3-4 judges.
Edison panel is much bigger with over 10 judges, each represents a sponsor company like QVC and HomeDepot…

Both our ideas passed directly from Thomas panel->Green room->filming->gott the congratulation letter; some ideas got seen by Thomas ->green room->filming and then got to be seen by Edison panel again and review by them.

I am not sure which is better. I think it would be great if my idea just walks directly into a company production line and start makes money for me. Who cares about making it to the show? Not if I would have to wait two more years for the show to be aired.

Postby citizen » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:00 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

people keep talking about expecting to see final confirmation letters, but wouldn't it be reasonable to think they won't send any out till all the auditions were done? I mean it seems just on these forums we've heard of a few who have made it to the preliminaries, so why would they give anyone a final acceptance till the final city auditons were done?

That invention in city one may look great, till they see one in the last audition.

Jason

Edison's Panel

Postby Mrsb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:43 pm

Mrsb
White Belt

Yes, my sister and I have patents and a prototype/display model and we went in to the "edisons" line and showed it to only 3 judges in the filming area. Only 3 and this was the edisons so it sounds like they have "expanded and expounded" upon with a lot more attention to the product. We were told that our paperwork was wonderful (we enclosed copies of our patents, some of the reviews that we recieved and as a finalist in a business contest so we really tried to show we had been "out there" trying) But obviously Everyday Edisons is gathering momentum and that is a good thing. I do hope that products at the Atlanta casting call does get remembered!
PreviousNext