FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Thanks

Postby rougie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:51 am

rougie
White Belt

Hello Rode Show,

I was alittle too harsh in my last post, I hope youunderstand my frustrations about all of this. Thanks for your link as it was very interesting.

Rob
Last edited by rougie on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby makeworldbetter » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:22 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

here are two other way out.
1) First try to sell them your improvement, Since they own a patent that can block yours, they become the only possible customer, and you know what it means in business. However, if your idea is really worthy, they may use it to improve their product and put distance between themselves and their followers once their existing patent expired. They may want to do that since they only have a couple years left

2) wait for their patent expires. Of course you can always look at other place/idea while wait.

Not so simple!

Postby rougie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 pm

rougie
White Belt

Hello MakeWorldBetter:

Thankyou for your post.

I am open to licensing but I have never done this and don't know what to expect. The uncertainty of all this is worrying me that's all!

With regards Rob
Last edited by rougie on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Road Show » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

rougie,

Maybe you should be approaching Leviton and not Lutron. It seems that Leviton is unphased by the litigation and is proceeding with their product marketing despite a potential bad ruling. This being the case, they may be willing to enter into a licensing agreement with you regarding your developments which they could hold until the Lutron patents expire, or move forward hoping that Lutron will concede the technology early and not enter into yet another legal death spiral. That's where I would go...and find yourself a decent licencing agent to take along.

RSG

Postby makeworldbetter » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:52 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

You can do research and all that, there is no infringement issue.
However, before you want to make or sell any of your product, the Megacorp who has a enforceable patent can stop you. You need to either talk with them or simplely wait till their patent expire.
Since they are already near to tail wind on their patent, maybe they will be more willing to talk with you.

As you had said, there is no guarantee what they will do and that uncertainty is a risk for you.

Postby CriterionD » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:37 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Rougie (Rob),

There's some solid feedback in this thread.

I will add that I would also be reluctant to contact Lutron (or whomever you feel you may be infringing) unless you knew with a certain degree of certainty or belief that you are infringing a specific Lutron patent. Otherwise it just gives Lutron's legal department a heads up to watch your actions and it also gives them the ability to tell you or alert you to whatever serves their purposes best.

Also, infringement suits often come from unlikely sources. Don't only pay attention to the largest players.

thanks

Postby rougie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:44 pm

rougie
White Belt

Infinite thankyous to all of the fellows that answered this post.

I am sure I am not the only individual in this situation.

As I mentioned I still have quite more R&D to do and then I will look at this a little closer. I think I am treying to predict the future and this is unlikely to be possible.

Thankyou for all your support and feedback!

With regarrds
Rob

Postby bottleslingguy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:30 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I like Road's idea of the double-back flank-sweep and contact Leviton. Offer them something that could help them recoup some of their losses and skirt around Lutron's patents. Just make sure you still hold something tangible that they couldn't just borrow (unlike just an idea) and make yourself and your idea a necessary cog. Leviton would probably buy it just to keep Lutron's hands off it and give them something of their own. By the time Lutron's patents are up the industry technology will have advanced so don't put too much stock in waiting around, especially in the high tech industry.

Just remember, this isn't tiddlywinks and big bucks are at stake so don't underestimate "THE OTHER GUY'S GREED"!!!

Postby rougie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:43 pm

rougie
White Belt

Thanks for your advice guys I mostly appreciate it!

With regards
Rob
Previous