FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Who comprises panel in "Edison" auditions?

Postby Ben Tex » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 pm

Ben Tex
White Belt

I've read here (too late for my Dallas audition) that the "Thomas" and "Edison" audition groups are separated by the degree of development of concept and prototype. I learned (again too late) that very few final participants come from the "Thomas" (rough idea/prototype) group. My Dallas prototype did not incorporate all of my product's current features, so I called it a rough prototype, was in the "Thomas" group and was ultimately rejected. I've also since heard that the "panelists" in the "Edison" group are actual representatives from major retailers. Does anyone know whom all they represent?

I'm considering investing in the creation of a "finished" prototype for the Providence, RI auditons, so I can audition in the "Edison" group. I was complimented for my presentation in Dallas, so I don't believe that was the problem. I'm wondering if the fact that I was in the "Thomas" group hurt my chances, and if making my way to the "Edison" group could help. I'm thick- skinned, so someone please tell me if this makes any sense.

Postby Average Inventor » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:43 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

I would say if you presented your idea well and they still didn't let it go through then I wouldn't try again with the same idea even if you have a better prototype the second time. The main focus is the idea and if it's patentable, marketable, and easy enough to develop in under a year so they can show the development process on the show. If anything I would think they would prefer ideas in the beginning stages so they can better mold the outcome and marketability of the product.

Postby makeworldbetter » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:00 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

I agree with Average Inventor. If you trust us, I can review your stuff and give you my honest opinion. I will sign NDA, see my web site for detail makeworldbetter.com.

Postby citizen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:58 am

citizen
Brown Belt

I agree with everything Average Inventor says. I think that the prototype is second to the idea. If they like the idea you have and your prototype is made from tin foil and duct tape, and they think they can make it a good product, they'll take you.

Why not bring another idea?

Jason

Postby Ben Tex » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:58 am

Ben Tex
White Belt

Thank you all for your advice. It's invaluable. Makeworld, I'll take you up on your generous offer, and will contact you soon. I would love to bring a different idea, but don't have one at thtis time.

Thanks again

Postby ideagirl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:37 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

There was one couple in line at the Dallas audition. They had gone
to the San Jose audition with professional quality drawings of their invention. They were passed over. They felt so strongly about it, they
had a prototype made and came to Dallas. They made it thru, and are finalists. The invention has something to do with ladders- but of course I can't say anymore!

I am seriously considering working on my prototype and going to Providence also with an invention that got turned down in Dallas.

Good luck.

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:01 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

What's quality on their prototype? Looks like home made or professional made?

Do you know which panel they went to see?

Postby ideagirl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:24 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

They had done the Thomas with the drawings. With the prototype,
they were in line behind me for the Edison panel. The prototype was
very professional looking. Didn't look at it really close, but it enabled the judges to see at a glance what the invention did, and how it would look.

Postby makeworldbetter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Oh, that's how they separated Thomas and Edison panels.
On your application, you check refined prototype or rough prototype.

I did with a rough prototype and went Thomas.
Often a prototype will help people to understand and see the value better.

Postby Texasmechanic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:58 am

Texasmechanic
White Belt

I had what I thought was a rough prototype and was sent to the Thomas room. After the greenroom and filming I was told it was a near production good. They sent me to the Edison room to do my presentation.