FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby Road Show » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:28 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

We may never know what caused Steve to leave, but we've learn something about Bottlesling. Michelle, as we know, is moderating quite well, and Roger Brown is gettin' down. (OK...so it's early in the morning and I'm getting ready to take my daughter to basketball practice (5:45am :x ))

I have to say this, it's gonna be hard to flog someone who is making me laugh! :roll:

Postby mojo62 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:58 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

BSG,
I just select a string of the little guys at random, while expressing some of the emotions I see.

I'm usually the one with the sunglasses or the one laughing.

MO

Postby SilverNitrate » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:36 pm

SilverNitrate
White Belt

Since light is a form of em energy. There can't be that much light emitting. A coating of phosphors can be applied to so that other energies waves can be converted by it to make visible light. e.g. to convert microwaves/ infrared or ultraviolet light into seeable light then still there is the fact that you can't get more from something than whats going in unless its consumed.

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:40 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Are you SURE of that?

Postby SilverNitrate » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:48 pm

SilverNitrate
White Belt

Only light source I know for sure that needs no input energies and can last 12+ years is there has to be something radioactive nearby with a fairly low half-life and that can activate phosphors to emit light.
Such example are those tritium or H3 vials made into keychains and watch hands.
But in order to be non-toxic it can't be radioactive, otherwise this will work all too well in the Russian Exclusion Zone.

Postby minnesotainventor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:00 pm

minnesotainventor
Blue Belt

Litroenergy is far better than described in a public forum.

Creating light without electricity and one that can be injection molded, lasts 12+ years (half-life) will benefit millions of people.

We are improving the output of light intensity all the time while changing the way people think about light (with it's amazing low cost and versatility). The creation of Litroenergy is groundbreaking technology and only some of it's capabilites have been disclosed.

We won the Grand Prize from the NASA Tech Briefs contest and will be in New York on April 22nd to accept it.

Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,
Steve Stark

Postby SilverNitrate » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 pm

SilverNitrate
White Belt

Ok, now I see, its like what Rolex has put on to watch dials for years. However its so expensive tho prices have made it possible to be used on cheaper watches, yet to be successful it has to be so affordable (& with good quality) that people not on a NASA budget can use. My first post was for a dual screen laptop, and as the backlight for one of the touch screens would be something like this in which will not compromise battery life.

Postby makeworldbetter » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

SilverNitrate wrote:Only light source I know for sure that needs no input energies and can last 12+ years is there has to be something radioactive nearby with a fairly low half-life and that can activate phosphors to emit light.
Such example are those tritium or H3 vials made into keychains and watch hands.
But in order to be non-toxic it can't be radioactive, otherwise this will work all too well in the Russian Exclusion Zone.

You guess close enough. Radioactive it is. They just make it safe.

A company known as MPK claims that throwing some tritium inside a phosphor-coated microsphere will result in a substance that can glow continuously for over a dozen years without an iota of energy input. The technology is known as betavoltaics, using a radioactive gas as its power source. Interestingly enough, tritium radiation (beta particles) can be safely contained by the microspheres it lives inside so there is no need to purchase a radiation suit anytime soon.

here is a link http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2007/12/litroenergy_glows_for_a_long_long_time.html

Re: NEW LIGHT SOURCE DISCOVERED - FINANCING NEEDED

Postby Tarious » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Tarious
White Belt

I've gotta back up SilverNitrate here. While I can't deny that it's radioactive and "safe," or that it would have applications like rolex watches or tritium gun sights ($$$), a material that glows for 12.5 years without requiring energy other than impregnated radioactive gas makes me question how bright and for how long it remains at said brightness. To cultivate plants? The sun puts out something like 50 watts per square foot at the earth's surface. I doubt this can contend. No release of heat? This is as sketchy as the thing's advertisement (http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2007/12/litroenergy_glows_for_a_long_long_time.html) using "5000 pounds" as the "crush resistance" (Really!?! 5000lbs over what area? This is lacking foresight and an area metric in its numerator). If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

That said, I think a cheaper, safer, tritium-like glowing material could certainly sell. First step here is to pitch it straight.

Keep thinking,
Tarious

Re: NEW LIGHT SOURCE DISCOVERED - FINANCING NEEDED

Postby Tarious » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Tarious
White Belt

Whoops--didn't mean to bump a dead thread.
PreviousNext