FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

New York Auditions - Season Two American Inventor Auditions

Postby Michelle » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:25 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Is anyone going to the auditions in New York?

Are you ready?

ny

Postby bonnie1990 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:37 am

bonnie1990
White Belt

i am pretty sure i am going to NY this week-i wonder alot if it is going to be worth it. any information on those with improvement to an existing product? also i have not gone through any patents, ect. the one time i inquired i just didn't (and still don't) have the $$ to pursue it.
very nervous & kinda hesitant-please help!

Postby scrapbookdi » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:53 am

scrapbookdi
Yellow Belt

I went to the audition in Chicago on Saturday. I knew I didn't have the "next great invention" but I went for the experience and my friend and I had a great time in the city.

Postby Michelle » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:16 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Bonnie:

Where is Millertown? If its not too far and you can afford the time and cost, I personally would think it would be a cool experience.

It's like the lotto, you never know unless you try. Also, it's a pretty unique experience. After all, how many times in your life can you claim "I auditioned for American Inventor."

I also understand that some of the people on line can be wonderfully interesting people to talk to. You can start conversations by asking them if the ever visited our site AmericanInventorSpot.com. :) (We need help spreading the word about our site. )

So if you go with the right attitude, to just enjoy the experience, and just see what its, like, I think you will have a good time. But do understand that the lines can be long and the wait a bit tedious....which is all part of the experience.

And, who know, you may have a winner.

That's the updates I have received from most folks in LA , San Fran and Chicago.

Michelle

Postby bonnie1990 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:19 pm

bonnie1990
White Belt

what if you haven't put in a lot of money in developing your idea-mine is really a pretty simple addition to an existing product?
i keep seeing all of these questions in the packet as to how much time & money is involved-who you have talked to, ect....how much does this help or hurt.

Postby bonnie1990 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 pm

bonnie1990
White Belt

michelle,
Millerton is only a 2 hr train ride to grand central -it will cost me about $50 in all-just a day off of work-so no big deal-i have had this idea for several years now and after AI 1, i started watching the site and signed up for the notification for auditions. we i never got that and just happened to check the site last week so i am in a bit of a panic and haven't had the time i would have like to really prepare. i also just found this site today-i will definitly promote it!

thanks for everyones advice-i guess i just have a major case of jitters!

Postby Michelle » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I think it depends on your invention. Sometimes, if the idea is brilliant, I don't think it takes a lot for others to get it and get excited. If its something complicated, or needs to be shown, I would guess it would take more.

I will defer to others who know more about that.

What I understand is that there are levels of screening, the first is with just young folks looking for a good story or an idea they like. Then, second screening is with actual producers for the show. Then, third round is with the actual celebrity judges.

Am i getting this right folks?

So I would guess that to get past first round, you have to be confident and excited about your product and show some personality.

Erik Thompson is going to be checking in today or tomorrow so I will ask him to come and comment. He had coached a number of folks who managed to get past the several rounds for 2007 auditions so he'd be a great one to get feedback from.

Michelle

Postby bonnie1990 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:15 am

bonnie1990
White Belt

anyone else out there going to NY tomorrow?

Hey All Auditioners for American Inventor New York April 4,

Postby Michelle » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Hey All Auditioners for American Inventor New York April 4, 2007 -

How did it go? Was it fun, tiring, exciting, boring? Please, we want details.

I see it was a cold and rainy day. Did they may you guys stand out in the rain?

Michelle

New York Day 1

Postby bonnie1990 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:08 pm

bonnie1990
White Belt

Day 1 is over.....
I am exausted.
Yes we had to stand out in the cold rain all day.
Thankfully I was around a few really nice guys (George, Richard, Gary and I forgot-sorry) and we all took turns letting each other use the restroom/warm up ect. Kevin was there 1st thing in the morning but left after a couple hours-not before some really good advice though!

So the staff says the turnout is as big as LA & Chicago combined and the competition is stiff.

at about 3:30, after we had moved about 5 blocks, and were litteraly on the home strech-rounded the last corner, they made a cut off-about 10-15 people ahead of us (including some that had left and come back and cut in line from behind us to ahead of us-nice), and started pre-registration for tomorrow. :roll:

So about another 1.5 hr later i was finally headed back to the train to go back tomorrow. I REALLY wanted to come back tomorrow IF I was advancing, not to just get my first time up. At least things should move faster-we have our numbers, paperwork checked and bracelets.

will start fresh in the am!
i'll let ya know more then!
Bonnie
Next