FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

FAQ: Contacting government?

Postby Thee Ace » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Thee Ace
White Belt

I have a great Idea that is so sensitive that I think I need to contact the government to help secure it...

How might I be able to do so...?

If this is such a great Idea as I say it is ...Do I have to worry about the patent search in saying that it is patented when I know for a fact it is not??

Do good reason of knowing it is not,because it would be world wide if it was (unless it is hidden from us all)

How would you protect a Idea that you might think the government might want to hide from all???

Thx ,

Thee Ace

Postby sku3397 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:21 am

sku3397
White Belt

dude, i feel your pain.

with mine, im thinking.. find the right company. get a strong non-disclosure agreement and plenty of paper trail.. and make sure you feel secure with that company... get one that has vast manufacturing power and work together with them to keep it under wraps.. mass produce it and when you have alot, release it broadly and overnight.

governments are pesky, money grubbing assholes. IMO. lol. best of luck to us both.

Postby makeworldbetter » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:55 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

you may still want to conduct a patent search. You might be surprised that so many excellent ideas had filed patent application but not well known to general public.

I don't believe that government hides great idea from us sh*t. True many good ideas might get buried since bureaucracy or straight stupidity. Yet the basic attitude of government is to help us with great idea so we can win over foreign competition. However if you believe you can count on government to do every thing for you, you are wrong. There are government grant that you can find online. It's pretty tough to win those. And most of cases, that the only help you can get from government.

Postby CriterionD » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:41 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

You don't have to worry about anything when saying that your invention is patented, as long as it actually is patented.

When saying your invention is patentable, yes you should have had a good patent search completed. A lot of people "know" that their idea has not yet been patented, but that doesn't change the fact that it actually has been patented before (or is otherwise non-patentable) when that happens to be the case.

Of course, elaborating on SKU's post, depending on why you need to get the government involved, there is good and bad news: 1.) it doesn't necessarily matter if the idea is patentable, because the government can likely use it without penalty in either event, 2.) along these lines, you don't necessarily stand to profit at all from bringing the idea to the attention of government. This is assuming you are in the US, at least.