FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Invention Home? anybody use them before?

Postby lizzie00 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:42 am

lizzie00
White Belt

i was curious if anyone has used Invention Home before?.....i checked them out with the BBB, and they seem clean compared to a company like davison who has over 100 complaints....how do they stay afloat?

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:08 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

I used them before. I wouldn't say they are con, just haven't get any solid result. I paid them for a year, yet they seem still working on it with no charge. (it's third year now)

Postby lizzie00 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:26 am

lizzie00
White Belt

but their only job is to try to market your idea to a bigger company correct?.....they don't develop ideas, they are just agents for you product?......

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:26 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

They are just agents.
However I believe a ideal agent shouldn't take any money from you but only dependent on percentage from royalty. From inventors perspective, you don't know whether if your agent will do anything once they take your money.

Postby lizzie00 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:39 pm

lizzie00
White Belt

but their fee is nominal (as opposed to some other web invention sites that ask for $10,000)....invention home seems to make their real money on the other end when they secure a deal for you, right?....it's like 1/2%......

My experence with Invention Home

Postby Pauly » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:08 am

Pauly
White Belt

When I came up with my “great ideaâ€

Postby lizzie00 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 am

lizzie00
White Belt

i understand your frustration....i experienced the same kind of scenario with the first invention company, and left on amicable terms with them, with fees back in my pocket.......then i went to invention home and had a completely different experience.....they found a manufacturer for me in 2 weeks and i had an offer on the table for 5%.....my product manager pushed for 7%, and i think is still pushing for 7%.....and some cash advance....if i had gotten the same kind of product manager who you had and was not supportive, i would have be very pissed off as well...i know my product better than anyone and i need to have someone be an advocate for my product and my vision for my product...but i guess i am super lucky to have a good product manager...another thing i really liked about Invention Home is that their communication is seamless....they continuously update me on their progress with my product...and are clear and transparent.....i came from another invention company which missed the mark completely on this issue...and communication is huge to me....i need to know what is going on a daily basis and they return phone calls and emails....the other invention company did neither.....i also liked the fact that i could continue to look for other licensing opportunities with other companies...and if i found other opportunities, i just had to tell them so we did not step on each other's toes, and credit is given where credit is due.....i have found 2 companies on my own.....and Invention Home has found one for me....now it all comes down to which offer is the best for me......and, everyone needs to remember if you are paying for a service, be your own advocate.....if someone is not working well with you, ask for someone else to work with...i had an issue when using my web designer way back when, and we did not get along or have the same vision, so i switched to another web designer in the same company and we worked well together.....

Don't be too quick to judge

Postby izzymay » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:20 pm

izzymay
White Belt

Remember this: The company that wants to license your invention wants to pay you the least amount of royalty so they can pocket the rest. Invention Home wants you to have the highest royalty possible because they make a percentage of what you make. it wouldn't make any sense for them to try to negotiate a low royalty for you. It's common sense.

Don't believe completely in the patent attornies either. From my experience, they over charge you to file the same paper work. They are as much scam artists as some of the other scamming invention companies out there. Don't even try to tell me the patent attorny you hired wasn't trying to sugar coat his services and make money from you. It will cost you more money to work with the attorney than Invention Home. On top of that, the attorny only files patents. They won't do anything to market the invention. Talk about taking your money and run.

A lot of people take their anger and frustration out on Invention Home because their invention is not making any money. Do your research and you'll see that they have great rating with BBB and other invention associations. I had a great experience with them because I had an open mind and I did my research. I understand that thay are just an agent that will do their best to pursue on my behalf (so they can make money too!) Some of the other inventors that leaves nasty posts should do so as well. They tend to exaggerate their experiences to make them sound worse than they are. Not everyone can make money from their ideas because there are just too many out there.

Postby Michelle » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Izzymay:

Welcome to the site.

Just to calm some suspicions since you are a new poster to our site and seemingly a big fan on Invention Home, could you tell us a bit more about your and your invention and if it currently on the market?

Without knowing you, people may believe you are just an employee of Invention Home. :)

Michelle

Postby izzymay » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 pm

izzymay
White Belt

hello,

don't get me wrong, i'm not endorsing anyone. I did use their services at a mininum and had great & pleasant experience, after using a patent attorney without success. I'm not a "big fan" but simply a satisfied customer. I went to a patent attorney after reading all the negative posts about invention companies. I just wanted people to not to be too quick to judge these invention companies. You might just find a good one. Some inventors tend to exaggerate their experiences to make things sound worse than they are, or worse, make false claims and statements. I fell for these posts and went to a patent attorney and lost money.

I am, however, endorsing doing your research, like i said in my original post. Don't give anyone money until you do a through research. i found lawsuits filed by FTC on scam companies like Davison, aka Invention Land, ISC and others. i went to invention Home after i did my homework due to their clean record with reputable resources such as BBB (and not biased posts by people). You are right though, you never know who the poster of forums are. They might be certain companies in disguise.

A lot of my statements are generalized statements, and it doessn't pertain to any company in particular, as in the first paragraph of my original statment. Anyone would generally agree that any marketing company would want to maximize your invention's royalty potential so they can take a chunk out of your royalties.

I invented a "smart visor" that i can't discuss details since it's in the process of marketing. it's my pride and joy! i will follow with post when i get a licensing deal!

Remember, RESEARCH!!!
Next