FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

How is Inventing Different

Postby DSlackman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:16 pm

DSlackman
Green Belt

How is the process of inventing, and being an inventor, different from when Edison was alive?

Sure technology has advanced & some laws are different, but does being an inventor mean the same thing then and now?

D
Inventors Create the Future
http://www.TenbyTech.com

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:25 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

I say all ways go. Although we have a legal system need to follow, but be creative.

Postby DSlackman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:44 pm

DSlackman
Green Belt

I might contend that inventors are not as highly regarded now as they were in Edison's day.

I might contend a bigger proportion of inventions are created by corporations now than in the past because many inventions required a more varied set of skills.

I might contend that many people who create things don't use the title "inventor" anymore, but choose a different title. For example, most silicon valley hardware and software folks prefer the title "entrepreneur".

Just my opinion...

D

Postby minnesotainventor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:13 pm

minnesotainventor
Blue Belt

DSlackman

Sounds like your trying to convice us to change the web site to:

EntrepreneurSpot.com ???

Hmmm....

Wonder if that is taken?

Steve

Postby DSlackman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 pm

DSlackman
Green Belt

nope, just making some observations

Postby Texasmechanic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:42 pm

Texasmechanic
White Belt

Dslackman, I think that it is not the skill that are needed, but the corporations have the money and resources to back them and force the issue.

As proven on this site a lot of folks come up with great thoughts but no way to put them forth.

Most people look up to a "entrepreneur" and when you say "inventor" thay do not know what to say or think.

This is the way I see it at work or when talking to people.

Postby Michelle » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:09 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Other than people's unwillingness to invest the time necessary to take a good idea to market, what is the biggest impediments?

I know money is the biggest issue.

But if a service or a site could do one thing really well to help inventors be successful, what would that be?

Is there one missing link that makes it so hard, or is it all the steps along the way that make it hard.

M

Postby DSlackman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 pm

DSlackman
Green Belt

Michelle,
I don't mean this as a criticism of my fellow inventors, but just my observation. Some people on this forum believe that inventing is the process of ideation and creating a prototype. (see the forum topic "Who is an Inventor") They don't believe that refining the product and marketing is part of the inventor's realm. Yet these are the very areas where most inventors fail. It seems that many inventors lack the skills and knowledge (and perhaps inclination) to monetize their creations. In addition some lack the skills necessary to find or negotiate with others who can monetize the invention for them. How often have we seen a newbee inventor post the comment "I just want to sell my idea to someone"? and we know it rarely works that way.

D
http://www.cafepress.com/inventorshop

Postby DSlackman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:32 am

DSlackman
Green Belt

By the lack of subsequent posts it appears that I may have stifled the conversation. If so, I apologize. In retrospect, what I meant to say is that inventors are terrific and we just need to have more fun. :D

D

Postby minnesotainventor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:30 pm

minnesotainventor
Blue Belt

Fun? Did someone say Wham-O EZ Spin Foam Frisbee Disc?

That will bring fun anywhere! Inside, outside...even in InventorSpot forum!

I feel so much better being an inventor and DSlackman thinking inventors are terrific! Thanks for making my day!

Sincerely,
Steve Stark
Just another terrific inventor
Next