FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

My Chicago Experience

Postby 5rocks » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:54 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Hello Everyone. Pat Rock here. Well, I made it to the Chicago audition as an "assistant" with my friend. We drove down from Milwaukee and were the 8th invention in line. I was shocked when we got in to Navy Pier and were right in the front. Unbelievable. Erik Thompson was in the front of the line with his buddy Denard. Denard was pitching a product and Erik was working the crowd. Erik and I caught up on how we have been doing since being on the show together last year. I wanted more time to help others with questions they had, but we were in the front of the line so we were in right away. I saw Lacey, one of the casting directors I know from the show. She asked me how my tailgating chair was and I told her it is coming out this year. I handed her a brochure and mentioned that it just might be the first invention from last year's show, on the market. We were in front of the judge for at least 8 or 9 minutes when the audition ended abrubtly after my buddy mentioned something about patent infringement. I told him not to bring anything like that up, but he did and I think that is what gave him an early exit. As we left I felt badly about the hundreds of people that had to wait in the rain. They had plenty of room inside Navy Pier. We were on the road by noon. I would have rather waited a little bit more in the audience and talk to more of the people. That is what I enjoyed the most about Saturday's audition in Chicago. The show has is definately a different format from last year and I think it should make it better.

Postby Contextion » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:44 am

Contextion
Blue Belt

What did your friend mention about patent infringement?

Postby 5rocks » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:21 am

5rocks
Green Belt

My friend mentioned that he was there because Goodyear stole his tire patent and is using it for their racing program. As soon as he said that he was out. The judge said, "So your tire is already on the market"? My friend said, "It is already out, but it is being used illegally". I don't know if the judge just didn't understand or if it was directly what my friend John said. We had a Goodyear tire with us with John's technology. Yes, it looks like it is already being produced if you just look at the tire. But, that doesn't mean anything. Tire companies can copy anything and make a blank in less than a day. They asked him what he would do to improve the design with the 50k and he probably wasn't specific enough. I gave him pointers as we were in there, but as soon as he mentioned Goodyear and patent infringement, it went downhill. Who knows, maybe Goodyear has ties with Disney and ABC. It wouldn't surprise me. I really thought he had a shot, but it is television. Maybe they didn't like his look or the way he spoke. I learned a lot from being on the show last year. Things are not always as they seem. Stuff gets lost in the editing room, producers make changes, etc.... One word of wisdom with the show. If you make it far in the competition and get voted off, don't just simply walk out if you want to get your product national recognition. Say something rather than o.k. and leave. If you simply walk out, you will never make it to primetime. It won't be t.v. worthy to them. Trust me, it happened to us. We were one of 3 people in the top 24 that were not even seen getting voted off. Give them something to show. I am not saying to ever sell-out, but at least let them know how you feel. This is a big commitment for everyone who puts themselves out there for the world to see. It is hard to just walk away without having emotion.

Happy Easter!
Pat Rock

Postby Road Show » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:44 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Pat,

What a bummer of an experience for your friend. It is unfortunate that he let the cat out of the bag so soon. As an objective opinion, I think that it would have been over whenever it occurred that AI found out about his infringement issue with Goodyear...it's hard enough to tackle a new product let alone an infringement case with such a huge opponent; however, it might have been to his benefit to try to milk the exposure on AI for all it is worth. Perhaps he might find a good patent lawyer willing to take his case on a contingency? It would be a long drawn out battle, but the potential for a huge settlement at it's conclusion could be attractive to some lawyers (ya think?).

Postby 5rocks » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:35 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Road Show,

I could not agree with you more. Before he decided to do the show I asked him, "Isn't your tire bigger than this show"? He said he didn't care about winning the million dollars. He just wanted people to hear about his tire. Before we went in I stressed many times and told him not to be negative and for sure not to say anything about Goodyear or patent infringement stuff. I think he let his emotions get the best of him. I understand how that can happen. How many people get a chance to talk to a camera about themselves or a product? Not many. At least he had a shot. They listened to him for at least 7 or 8 minutes. That is what leads me to believe that he was possibly in for the next round until the patent talk. After we left he was like can you get in touch with someone from the show and find out why I didn't make it. I said, John, even if I did get in touch with someone, they aren't going to tell me anything. It will be met with the same attitude I got when I asked if I could get a copy of all of the video they shot on us while in Hollywood. They will never give up that kind of information.

Pat

Postby pedi ot » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:35 pm

pedi ot
White Belt

I am a newby to this website with plans to attend the Houston audition. I have one patent, another one pending, and a product that is being sold locally in a couple of stores (less than 300 units to date).

Are the judges really looking for a product that is not currently being sold at all? Although my product is on the market, it is still in a state of transition, and I have plans to make improvements with design and materials. I do not need help with a story, as a devastating event is what led to the conception of my invention. Any pointers about the audition would be appreciated :)

Robynne from Frisco, TX

Info for products being sold

Postby grouptri » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:53 pm

grouptri
White Belt

Check out the post on the trickle ring, I think it will answer your question.

Postby pedi ot » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:55 pm

pedi ot
White Belt

I read it, thanks :)

Robynne