FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Companies not requiring agreement prior to idea submission

Postby ob1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:40 am

ob1
White Belt

I have a new pet product idea and am looking for companies to license to. Hartz is a major pet product company and on the FAQ's section of their website it states:

Q: I have a suggestion for a new product, who should I send it to?
A: Please send them in writing along with a registered U.S. Patent to Product Ideas.

Is this normal? Don't most companies wish for you to sign something or acknowledge their policies for new product ideas from outside the company?
Last edited by ob1 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:53 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

It's the other way around. Inventors want company to acknowledge when submit product so company can't steal. In most cases NDA.
However, this company seems want patented ideas. Means you have to get a patent first. Maybe I read it wrong.

Postby ob1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 pm

ob1
White Belt

Yes, I agree. You would normally want a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement before submitting your idea to protect yourself. My idea is patented, so I think I'm safe sending without an NDA.

Most large companies require the inventor to sign documents to protect themselves from lawsuits prior to accepting outsides ideas. It seems weird that a large company like Hartz doesn't follow this standard.

Postby CriterionD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:05 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Just to add, it is not uncommon for a company to only accept submissions from those with a granted patent. It is an alternative method for avoiding liability and/or just avoiding confused and disgruntled inventors creating negative PR.

I am not sure what they mean by a "registered" U.S. patent. It could mean a "filed" patent application, or it could mean a "granted" patent.

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:15 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Right CD. I means "granted". It is on file and registered as an official patent.