FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Domain Names

Postby citizen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:00 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

Hey guys. Just curious where the best deal would be to register a domain name?

For instance, I have an idea for a name for an invention...where can I reserve that domain name for the cheapest price and be guaranteed no one could take it?

Also, what is the length it is reserved for normally?

Thanks.

Jason

Postby DSlackman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:06 pm

DSlackman
Green Belt

I use GoDaddy.com. They are pretty cheap ($9.99/year for .COM domain names), but I don't know if they are the cheapest.

I'm not sure about a maximum length limit since it's usually better to have a short name. Short names are easier to remember & easier to type.

Remember: If there are common variations or mis-spelling of the name of your product you might want to reserve those also.

D
Inventors Create the Future
http://www.TenbyTech.com

Postby citizen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:10 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

thanks dslackman.

As for limit, I was talking about how much would I get as far as time to reserve it. You answered that with godaddy being $9.99/year.

I'm no where near needing a site, but would like to have the ability to save the domain from anyone else taking in in the remote case I'd use it. 9.99 for a year isn't bad, but if there's a place to get it cheaper, I'd go for that.

Jason

Postby DSlackman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:43 pm

DSlackman
Green Belt

The longest registration seems to be 10 years, but this is no limit on the number of renewals.

D
Inventors Create the Future
http://www.tenbytech.com

Postby Average Inventor » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

I use 1and1.com and it's 7.99 a year i think for .com

Postby Levi Porter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:09 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

I have a reseller account from Godaddy. I have to pay around 100.00 a year to get the discount. I have had one of these on and off for around 7 years. I can give you the discount I get, if you want. I think it costs $8.45. I think I should be able to get them cheaper though. It wasn’t that long ago I could get them for 4.99

Remember, cheapest is not always the best.

You get more discounts the more years you register at a time. Not a whole lot though.

If you could, please take a look at my site and tell me what you think. @Paramount Servers

One good thing about Godaddy is that they are Big. They process transactions quickly and comply with ICANN I believe. They were not too far away from the break up of the people that invented the program that recognizes alphabetical characters and corresponds them with the actual numerical digits of IP addresses & the Http:// protocol extensions. They also have most of the available extentions such as .tv and country codes.

The only real criticisms I have had personally and investigated are that they are reluctant to release Dot Names. This is only an issue if you want to sell a name, & if the new owner wants it registered somewhere else. The other gripe is that their hosting is not as accommodating as a company that is predominately geared for Hosting.

Changing Name Servers and redirecting / forwarding / & masking are not problems.

This may be more info than you needed, but I hope this is helpful.

If it's not, you could also look at my @ Domain Name Info

I can't believe that my site is Number one for over 3 weeks in a row in MSN for the search term "website development"

I wish more people used MSN search.

Waste of Time

Postby NewProductInventor » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:25 pm

NewProductInventor
White Belt

Domain names for inventors are a waste of time and money. Your invention is not going to sell because it has a nice website. Granted you need to have good materials and be well put together but the money you will spend on websites, materials, etc would be much better put towards some sales tutorials/classes. You need to practice your pitch and show the benefits of your product. Once you are creating sales, have your customers be in your promotional materials. Happy customers are contagious and show in marketing like a Pizza hut pasta commercial.

Postby Michelle » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

I agree with new product inventor.
many top sites have variations on a name.
I think .nets for example can be had for cheap, etc.

Michelle

Postby AugieG » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:13 pm

AugieG
White Belt

Hi - I use 1 and 1 too. They are pretty good and are about $30 for six months, plus you can have sub domains as well that look like main ones - if that makes sense. I have three different sites on one account. I think you get your first domain name free with any package. I'm not a domain guru so check it out first. :D

Postby admin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:06 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

I recommend NearlyFreeSpeech.net for domain registration. Their prices are reasonable at $8.59/year. What I really like about them is that they're a no-nonsense company with clear pricing and no upselling. Trying to do anything with GoDaddy is like navigating a maze. NearlyFreeSpeech.net offers the services a-la-carte at reasonable rates w/o locking you into contracts (for the add ons).

If you dabbling or have a simple site, they also offer web hosting that is priced based on your usage. You just pay for what you use in terms of bandwidth, storage, and resources. If you have a small site it could cost just dollars a year, and there are no limits on the number of domains or subdomains that they allow. If your site grows, you can switch to another host if you feel the need. It's a very nice setup for many.

InventorSpot uses NearlyFreeSpeech.net for domain names only, but we have used their other services in our earlier days and have been happy with the experience.

[/url]
Next