FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

FAQ: When is it OK to disclose your invention to the public?

Postby end3 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:26 pm

end3
White Belt

I have never really been clear on this question.....when is it ok to disclose your invention to the public. I am patent pending on an idea and an idea tied strongly to the original patent application. I would like to let people here evaluate my project, but don't want to put it on the internet unless I can be sure. I realize there is no great answer, but some words of advice would be welcome. Thanks

Re: Disclosure question

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:00 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

end3 wrote:I have never really been clear on this question.....when is it ok to disclose your invention to the public. I am patent pending on an idea and an idea tied strongly to the original patent application. I would like to let people here evaluate my project, but don't want to put it on the internet unless I can be sure. I realize there is no great answer, but some words of advice would be welcome. Thanks

You're asking a good question. Unfortunately, the aswer is complicated, it's more than just a few statements, and involves a number of concerns. There IS a single qualified answer, though...and it's probably best given in the form of flowchart or something.

Let me work on that for you...

Postby end3 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:25 am

end3
White Belt

Thanks, Scrupulous,

I talked with my patent attorney day before yesterday....she stated I should probably hold off for now, because she said once in examination, there could be things that are disallowed and make my current modification "open" for lack of a better word. She did express not putting "all my eggs" in the PTO and keep moving forward. I really think I am covered, and fact is, I could not stand up to the resources of a big company if they truly wanted to modify and take my product....such is life. Anyway, I have had several people actually give me that "hey that might actually be a good idea" look where you can kind of see it in there eyes.

On a good note, I think my boss is willing to help me move up to a production level....as I stated earlier, he as a "dream for" type machine shop that could realistically build a robotically run, multiple cavity production mold.

I actually wake up feeling pretty good, because I have the current market beat on efficacy, price, and raw materials availabiltiy. (miracles happen every now and then).

I think I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, so if the mods need to move it, please do.

Thanks again

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Naw, this is a good place for the question. I'll just edit my previous post to add a diagram when it's ready.

Yeah, once you let the cat out of the bag, there's no turning back. But again, that can be a good thing.

The situation you have at work seems to be the most valuable thing for you right now. I would proceed with that taken into consideration at all times, if I were you.

Good luck to you!