FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

A Real Serious Warning

Postby Boom Man » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:51 pm

Boom Man
White Belt

Though some may say that I am just bitter and mad because I lost… And I fully understand and appreciate the possibility of that argument; I am really just trying to help the inventor community. And I guarantee that I have failed enough times to be skeptical of everything about my own creations.

And I had heard that Freemantle Media and ABC actually have a background of disrespecting others intellectual property… This comes from the fact that “American Inventorâ€

Postby Scrupulous » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

That sounds like a pretty fair statement. Now keep your chin up, since you have some real knowledge as to what the show is all about.

Postby Road Show » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:16 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

The truly sad thing about American Inventor is that the show is about entertaining television. "Nobody" wants to watch another Discovery Channel show about how the patent process works, or how ordinary folks have ideas that become products. What America wants to see is drama. They want to see the whacky inventor from Back to the Future. They want to see someone on the edge, about to loose his house and job. They want to see Joe Sufuto (sorry if I spelled it wrong, Joe) loose his cool with the prototype company who don't have the appropriate appreciation of the hours of hard work he has put into the design. They want to see a guy who lost a family member due to a poorly designed car seat...which, apparently, wasn't the case. Januz lost an ADULT daughter to an automobile accident. This became "HIS" inspiration for developing the Anecia car seat.

No, Freemantle Media/ABC is looking for another smash hit TV show, and NOT another cable TV / PBS special.

I hope that all you inventors out there looking for a leg up, are objective enough to listen to this criticism of the show and understand that this is not the panacea you're hoping it will be. Take a long look at your invention and see if you can build a real business around it. If you have developed a unique dog training device, why not start a dog training business and use this as a springboard to promote your product? Like a hair dresser who comes up with his/her own formula for shampoo, etc.?

Most of all...

Don't let this show "steal" your dream!

RSG

Tooooo Serious!!

Postby Robbissimo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:20 am

Robbissimo
White Belt

Boom Man,

You have thousands of dollars invested in your invention and the patent process. You require... no... demand, recognition and validation.

So why in the world would you try out for this "show"?

You state you knew it was a reality show, yet, you don't give them the credit for doing what they have to do! They have to create entertainment with the requesite amounts of drama, humor and pathos. Or else those producers lose their jobs! You're probably lucky they didn't take you! You could have ended up being one of the "deadly" serious inventors that will be targeted this year as they were last, ("You've invented a stick?").

Let them use me! I want to be used! I want the most publicity I can get for my product and myself. I have a cool product that I hope people laugh at, since it's cute and funny! Personally, I would never go on this show with a "serious" product, like something that would cure world hunger. Noone wants to be reminded of world hunger! That's not entertaining.

You may be presently venting towards AI, but I wonder if it runs deeper than that. Release all that pent up anger and resentment since it's counter productive. Find peace and happiness in the discovery process, if not in the actual success of your product! Good luck.

Postby Boom Man » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:42 am

Boom Man
White Belt

True enough I did know it was a reality TV show. However, as mentioned, their ad campaigns consistantly emphasize that the most important credential to winning their competition is "The invention must be something that can be mass produced and sold in retail outlets...." indicating that an invention that can sell with the highest volume and in the most kind of retail establishments will have the best chance of winning. Furthermore, ABC has been touting that this show is for the whole family to watch together and is "Good, clean fun." which indicates it is not like American Idol and other shows of bad manners.

I'm also not "venting" I'm just another of numerous inventors warning other inventors about this show, because I think this show and this organization (ABC w/ Freemantle Media) is an assault on real hard working inventors.

And I just want it known to the general public (because inventors at at least intermediate level already know) that when they give "The Belt, crown" or whatever you want to call it... you are not seeing "The real American Inventor" That title is very misleading.

Postby Robbissimo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Robbissimo
White Belt

Give me a break...

In no way, shape or form did AI ever imply that the product that would sell the most would be the winner. They simply want products that can be quickly manufactured, mass produced and have a potential for high sales. Nor did they ever imply that if your product actually met that criteria it would guarantee you a spot on the show! And a family show, yes, but bad manners abounded last year from the inventors and some of the judges! Didn't you watch the show?

And now you want to start to differentiate between who's a serious inventor and who's just a part-time wannabe? That the person that wins this show is not a hard working inventor and shouldn't be given any recognition as an "American Inventor"? C'mon, they didn't call the show the "Greatest American Inventor"!

Right now you're classifying yourself as a real sore loser! Get over it already! It's a TV show!

Postby Boom Man » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:08 pm

Boom Man
White Belt

A sore loser...? My invention is worth a heck of alot more than 1 million dollars. I was only going to go through with it as an effort to honor my father who past away. I originally was trying to create a piece of art to honor him. And since I was mean to hime most of the time he was alive, it was an effort to pay back what I owed him. And to send a message to kids... even grown adult kids they should always honor their father and mother, because you can't get that opportunity back.

I don't know what the hateful name calling is all about. I didn't call you any names. You're getting personal when I was community oriented.

When an advertising message "MOST IMPORTANTLY, the invention must be something that can be mass produced and sold in retail outlets." is continuously displayed and marketed, I believe that if you take a poll, most persons would take that as: Whichever product is most likely to sell the most in the most kind of establishments should prevail.

When people from other nations see someone recieving the heavyweight title "American Inventor" how do you think that makes America look when the person invented a pet rock, or worse, had to have an engineering team help him design such pet rock...?

Postby Robbissimo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:56 pm

Robbissimo
White Belt

Community minded? Ok... My posts point out how some of us get a little carried away... and if you feel "sore loser" is my being "hateful" you may have lost touch with reality, don't you think?

I honor my father all the time, his flag, picture and medals hang on my wall. I would not honor him by going on a reality show.

As I mentioned in my first post, before you became so amazingly defensive of your opinions regarding this show... good luck with your multi-million dollar invention... (the million dollar first prize would have cost you money!)

Postby Boom Man » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:52 am

Boom Man
White Belt

It's not really defensiveness. It is the fact that i'm just another of many inventors giving a "heads up" or warning about this show/organization.

Throughout this forum I see warnings and such that are similar to mine. This is/was just my version. And i think overall, most inventors at least at intermediate level agree that this show/organization is not a good spotlight on inventors in general, and is at least somewhat insulting to the more experienced or professional inventors.

That's why they haven't said much about it in Inventors Digest, the premier inventor magazine until actually just this month. And you can clearly see it is not good. Check this article out:

http://www.inventorsdigest.com/4_07/dougHall.aspx

Postby Robbissimo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:50 am

Robbissimo
White Belt

Again, you have to recognize this show for what it is... entertainment.

I have been asked many times why I don't pursue the patent process. Well, maybe I'm not a "real" inventor! I have never created a product that revolutionized anything. And I've always felt that many patents are just to easy to get around by simply changing this or that. And then there's the ridiculous amount of money for patents, attorneys, searches, etc.

No... I've always believed that the best way to bring a product to market is hype, publicity and being faster than the other guy! This show allows me to do just that. Now I do have to actually make it on the show (since I'm auditioning this weekend), but have reasonable hopes of making it to the top 70 in Tampa and thus, based on editing, being able to show my product to a national audience. If I fail to make it to the top 6, I'll try to parley any publicity into a sale to a manufacturer or the possibility of finding OPM, which abounds for those that can get recognition.

I agree with you when you suggest "real" inventors should avoid this show. Many are incredibly analytical, boring, dull, "engineer"-types, that could never deal with the "reality" of making the creative process entertaining and interesting. And AI requires it. But I don't think you should knock the show simply because it's not for you. It's perfect for my product, personality and sensibilities.

I promise to reveal my audition experience next week.
Next