FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

FAQ: What if i don't have the knowledge [to make the idea]?

Postby josh » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 pm

josh
White Belt

I often get ideas that are good but there beyond my expertise of knowledge( in other words I don't know how they would work.)
Is there a cheep way get someone like a engineer or someone to help with finding out how to make it work without your idea getting stolen?

Re: what if i don't have the knowledge

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:26 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

josh wrote:I often get ideas that are good but there beyond my expertise of knowledge( in other words I don't know how they would work.)
Is there a cheep way get someone like a engineer or someone to help with finding out how to make it work without your idea getting stolen?

That's not always necessary. You're asking a good question, though.

There is a big difference between not knowing how something would work, and knowing that it would rely on well-proven technology. Many times, people come up with improvements to older ideas. In those cases, the inventor is not required to explain the underlying technology beyond simply refering to its location in the new concept.

Re: what if i don't have the knowledge

Postby CriterionD » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:58 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

josh wrote: Is there a cheep way get someone like a engineer or someone to help with finding out how to make it work without your idea getting stolen?

viewtopic.php?t=789

Whether or not there is a cheap way to get the help you need (and, as Scrup points out, whether or not you need that help) is another issue.

Postby mojo62 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:26 am

mojo62
Black Belt

You know Josh, I guess it all depends on the idea. Everyone says that ideas are a dime a dozen. I'm not sure that ideas are worth much until you can get them to work. Now this is not always the case to those who say you can get a deal by drawing something on a napkin.

I have a new idea, a car that run on water alone. I need someone to get it to work for me though. See what I'm saying?

Re: FAQ: What if i don't have the knowledge [to make the ide

Postby OLUGBENGA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm

OLUGBENGA
White Belt

Josh:

I see myself in this position al of the time with my ideas. My main suggestion is to do as much research you can and really pinpoint what you don't know exactly. Once you have this, you can look up the appropriate articles, books, even Wikipedia to get a decent sense of what you need. You can also ask industry professionals and not risk too much disclosure since you have a specific question.

For example,
You created a new bathroom fan that automatically turns on when the humidity of the apartment is significantly lower than the bathroom. You wouldn't need too many details (besides aesthetics, general function, etc.) but a few questions you would Google include:
-What sensor measures humidity? hygrometer
-How to combine different electronic systems?
-How would i calculate humidity displacement?

Olugbenga "Tumi" Oredein Jr.
O-Zone Product Development
757-576-5757
tumioredein@gmail.com
thestrugglinginventor.com
twitter.com/OZonePD