FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby Scrupulous » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:08 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

It would be nice if somebody hacked a way to turn cellphones into dial-up two-way radios.

Postby brack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 am

brack
White Belt

I'd like to see some new ideas for shredded paper. I've heard compost, gift box stuffing and shipping stuffing. What else?

To score or not to score...

Postby brack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:54 pm

brack
White Belt

This one came back in December of 2006.

A football that determines whether it has reached the endzone or not. No more wondering if they broke the plain, instead a sensor detects the line, the lights go crazy and the opposition get ticked off.

GPS, medal detectors, anything else?

Okay, really I don't like this idea, but hey. I like the purety of human error and the suspense it creates, but if someone likes the idea, run with it.

Postby Levi Porter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:38 am

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Why stop there? You could have them put in shoes and have the sidelines lined with lasers to tell when a player went out of bounds.

RFID could work well for the shoes and ball. Setting up the lasers / sensors would be easy too. You might even be able to determine if both or one foot was in bounds at the time of completion before going out of bounds.

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

That's good stuff.

How about a baseball home plate that calls strikes?

Postby bottleslingguy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:24 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Things like dirt would get in the way. Put a radar/camera on the ump's face mask. It could have a built in strike zone and used for replays. Or a baseball with a gps-type transmitter that connects with towers inside the field and the bases. It could help by more accurately calling the game.

Postby inventor-x » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:41 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Scrupulous, I like that Idea about home plate.

How about gloves?

Postby brack » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:58 pm

brack
White Belt

A new look at window insulation.

My wife and I bought an old house in 2003, with old windows, old siding, old this and old that. In the winter we noticed especially the air coming from the windows and we couldn't afford the replacement of 24 large windows and frankly I was too lazy to blowdry 24 plastic syran-wrap coverings.

We sold that house a couple of years ago, but one idea I had was to start a business based on "sprayed-in window insulation for old houses." Not like the insulation blown in attics or in walls, but more like a "clear poly-something." It would be transparent enough to allow for sunlight, but thick enough to completely cover the outside of the window. There would obviously be some distortion of the view in the winter, but as spring came it could be "peeled off" and recycled into next season's hopper.

Potential problems: bonding with window materials? Cost effectiveness?

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:50 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Well, it seems like all you would need is to run a bead of silicone on the walls around the opening, and lay a single sheet of cellophane over the opening for a complete seal. In the spring, you would just tear it off.

Materials wouldn't be that much, but the labor might. It depends on how much people would spend on older windows to save on the heating bill...

Postby brack » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:07 pm

brack
White Belt

Hi Scrup, I didn't follow up on the "bead of silicone" comment from a few weeks back. I know the cellophane and silicone idea exists, but isn't it cumbersome and flemsy?

The idea for a "spray on poly-something( do you like my technical terms there? ) lends itself to a substantial time savings if you have 20 some windows like we had. Also, the spray on would be between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick to provide some durability as well. The material would then be recycled each year.

Anyway, it just seemed like a real solution to buttoning up those drafty windows and yet keeping the character of old house.

My next idea stems from living in the old house as well. Maybe these options exist already, but why don't we have adjustable insulation in attics? Almost like louvers, but flat. I know I've seen those large exhaust type vents, but I don't think I've ever seen them cover the entire attic. So in the summer, the louvers raise to allow heat to rise. In the winter, they lower to trap the heater longer.

Potential problem: wiring, plumbing.
PreviousNext