FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

My Tampa Audition Experience

Postby Tinkering Wit » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Tinkering Wit
White Belt

I arrived home from the Auditions in Tampa about 4 hours ago. It was a "No" for me also in the 1st round, but I had a great time and met a lot of great people :D I also saw a lot of good inventions. I even got interviewed by the host of the show Nick Smith. He and the camera crew caught me by surprise. :oops: I must of had a silly look on my face when they shoved the camera in my face because everyone started laughing.

I was part of the group that had to wait until Sunday to audition, I was finished by about 3:00 and headed for home to South East Florida. I had to audition with the judge in room "C". Word went out that the judge in room "C" was evil and said "No" to everyone. She was not mean at all, at least not to me. I found that all of the members of the staff and crew were nice and helpful. I gave my presentation and demonstrated how my invention worked. She said I gave a great presentation and that I had a good invention and that I was very creative. She spent some time discussing my invention with the guy on the computer before she told my no. She also said that its was just that they had saw so many other good inventions that they could not say yes to everyone :cry: I was okay with her explanation, I did not ask for it.

They could only select one person from Tampa to appear on the show as a semi-finalist. So even though I knew that I had a great invention and would have liked to have been the one they selected, there were many people there that had equally or better inventions then mine and they did not make it through either.

So I really could not take it personal when they said no. Those judges in the first round knew that they were turning away good inventions and in some case like mine they said so.

I know a lot of people put in a lot of time and money preparing for this audition, but they have to realize that it is a reality show and there were only 6 spots available, one per location. Just like any reality show, play, or movie that you may decide to audition for there are only a limited number of spots available. There had to be somewhere between 1000 and just over 1300 people auditioning and that’s a lot of competition for only 1 spot.

Now that I have had the opportunity to go through their audition process and was able to see first hand that it was more about putting on a show for entertainment rather then a search for the next great invention, its not something I need to do again.

I must add that unlike the other locations. There were places to sit, I did not see the employees at the hotel stopping people from taking chairs to sit on. There was food made available for as little as $5.00 for a sandwich combo for everyone at the audition. The weather was not too bad either.

I have no regrets, it was a great experience for me :!:

Postby Michelle » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Glad you had a good experience overall. It's nice to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Postby annabella » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:43 am

annabella
White Belt

Arrgghh...I was in Room C, too!! She was very nice though...everyone was great! Except for my aching feet, I had a super time. Very disappointed I didn't make it through, but so glad I gave it a try :-)

What number were you?...I was 6631...were we near each other in line?

Postby Michelle » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:55 am

Michelle
Black Belt

No, I did not audition. I am on the the team members at AmericanInventorSpot.com but not an inventor ...yet.

I have some ideas so maybe someday when the site is more established, I will work on those ideas.

I was number 6354

Postby Tinkering Wit » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:16 am

Tinkering Wit
White Belt

I was number 6354. I was the one dragging around the invention in the large black cover. I hung out with the guy who had the multi-purpose ladder, near the couple that had the shark purse and pool stick holder.

I had a lot of fun. :D

I told as many people as I could about the Americaninventorspot website. I even got one guy to pull it up on his phone.

Postby annabella » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:36 am

annabella
White Belt

I remember the shark purse/pool shark! I was standing in front of them while we waited for our numbers to be called...they filmed them that morning.

I can't wait to watch the show to see who made it on TV - LOL! :wink:

What happened to the lady with the blow-up doll? Did she make it through?

Re: I was number 6354

Postby Michelle » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:07 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Tinkering Wit wrote:I told as many people as I could about the Americaninventorspot website. I even got one guy to pull it up on his phone.

I vote you my favorite inventor of the day. Thanks so much for the promotion efforts.

Thanks to efforts like yours, we are up to 371 registered inventors, along with the few thousand who just read our site.

Come on...500! Once we get there, we're on our way to 5000 right?

:D

Postby Tinkering Wit » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:10 am

Tinkering Wit
White Belt

The lady with the blow up down made it through. She will meet with the judges on Tuesday. Her invention was a magnetic curtain rod. Instead of using screws to attach the rod to the window, magnets were used to stick to the metal in the wall studs or something.

A BOYS DREAMS CRUSHED BECAUSE OF FATHERS PAST

Postby dan b » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:24 am

dan b
White Belt

i to just got back home from tampa yea the doll lady made it , she had paton this on her back . but i to was in front of lady C unlike the rest i thought she was awesome i was the 2nd 1 in to see her on sunday she loved everything, and gave me a big YES i was pumped bye then me and my boy was throught round 1 in a flash .round 2 i got a maybe and was told to see another man named chris he took my name and told me to go wait till 5 pm and if they called i was in . was rally pumpd now i left got 5 min away they called me to come back for interviev . i did thinking i made it . we were so excited.did a shot of us signing in for reg and that was it . i left again waited waited and waited, 5 pm no call so iheaded back to the hotel were they were i walked in saw the guy chris and he looks at my son and says justin im so sorry buddy so sry its a no we allready let in all the people from th maybe group so its a no, i was like wow , that was just rude to do that to us we spent a day and 1/2 waiting for nothing . the experiance was awesome but not worth 1000 dollars to me they told us sunday they had a treat for making us wait till sunday and did some filming with peter and another man we did the shots like 6 times tireing but fun . shoook peters hand and thanked him , but i put it all together they did a backround check on me and it destroyed my boys dreams . that is so not fair we had a great invention and it was all about my boy not me WHAT A MESSED UP WORLD WE LIVE IN , CRUSHED A BOYS DREAMS FOR A FATHERS PAST WOW, i belive my invention will go over in the market big time i will now work on a paton. there were some gread ideas there the ball cage for the kid riding his bike and wont have to hold the ball and try to drive . but again there were some great ideas they were told no ,and shoulda went through . oh AHARD HEAD MAKES A SOFT BUTT I GUESS. WONT NEVER DO IT AGAIN NO WAY TO MUCH STRESS FOR 1 MAN TO DECIDE ON YOU FUTURE SO NOT FAIR .

Postby Tinkering Wit » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:29 am

Tinkering Wit
White Belt

Thank you Michelle. I am kinda sorry its over now. This is a great website and it prepared me for what to expect at the AI auditions. The articles and knowledgable inventors that post advice and their experiences with the invention process on this site has given me the motivation and encouragement that I needed continue on. I plan to take my invention ideals on to the next Everyday Edisons auditions for Season 3 when they are announced.

Thanks for this site Michelle.
Next