FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

"Slave Inventors" a new term

Postby Iceage » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Iceage
White Belt

Hi,

My friends call me Ice . I am a "slave inventor". I know you must be wondering why i m calling myself a slave inventor.

I am an engineer by degree. But couldnt find good engineering work as was born in Asia. So, atlast became a software contractor with a software service provider.

2 years back, i sent some of my creative work to company's IP department. They reject some of them (as most of them were related to natural and mechanical science), but selected 1 of them for a patent filing. That was the most exciting moment of my life, I thought my all struggle will be over. It was a system to take decisions the way human do.

They hired 2 attorneys from USA for the application and filing process. I worked with the attorneys for long 7 monthes along with my normal office work (gave 16 to 18 hours of my time to work).And it was filed.

But i realized soon that i wont be getting any royalty as its written in the terms of employment document (signed by me) that anything i create while being an employee will belong to the company.

All i got from the organization is 1000 $. It seems to me like a joke. I dont own any rights of the invention. I cant sell it. They just took it from me for free.

I am lying on my bed going through topics in this site. And see many of you "free inventors" so excited after inventing and owning the rights, and considering myself as a slave (in comparison to you).

What i need from you guys?... Nothing... just sharing my story or if you wana help ... give me some moral support.

Thanks for your Time.

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:56 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Iceage (nice name), for what it's worth, you made me tear up :oops:

I wholeheartedly feel your pain. How much longer do you plan on working there or is that out of the question?

Postby StephenKey » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:59 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

What can one say.
Award Winning Inventor Stephen Key - http://www.inventright.com
Stephen's new book "One Simple Idea" from McGraw-Hill is available in stores nationwide as well as online.

Postby minnesotainventor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:59 pm

minnesotainventor
Blue Belt

In tough times like the ones we are in now...I turned to some quick money and became a product designer. What I should have done was sign up to be an inventor slave. The first week I came up with over 22 products for them. Some will be huge in the marketplace, and in one and 1/2 years I can tell the world it was me who invented it. I sure enjoyed the $40.00 hour pay, but soon realized I had made one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Well, lessons learned.

Inventor Slaves... do you think we can form a union?

Sincerely,
Steve Stark

Postby bottleslingguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:21 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Steve, you made $40/hr? :shock: :shock:

I don't think people realize what it means when some people say they don't have any money.

Re: "Slave Inventors" a new term

Postby Gizmo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:21 am

Gizmo

Iceage wrote:Hi,

My friends call me Ice . I am a "slave inventor". I know you must be wondering why i m calling myself a slave inventor.

I am an engineer by degree. But couldnt find good engineering work as was born in Asia. So, atlast became a software contractor with a software service provider.

2 years back, i sent some of my creative work to company's IP department. They reject some of them (as most of them were related to natural and mechanical science), but selected 1 of them for a patent filing. That was the most exciting moment of my life, I thought my all struggle will be over. It was a system to take decisions the way human do.

Touching story Ice,
I am a little confused. ( You stated 2 years back, i sent some of my creative work to company's IP department. They reject some of them (as most of them were related to natural and mechanical science), but selected 1 of them for a patent filing. ) Were you working for this company when you sent them your work ? Did you create them at home or work ?
If the work was created before your employment , what kind of employment doc, did you sign. Sounds' like you might of took the pipe up the old Wazoo if the work was done before employment. If thats the case someone took advantage of you. If not theres no need to feel bad, just chalk it up as experience.

They hired 2 attorneys from USA for the application and filing process. I worked with the attorneys for long 7 monthes along with my normal office work (gave 16 to 18 hours of my time to work).And it was filed.

Were you a saleried or hourly employee while working there . If you were hourly , that many hours for 7 months and you get $ 1000.00. Looks like the pipe and Wazoo are teamed up again.

But i realized soon that i wont be getting any royalty as its written in the terms of employment document (signed by me) that anything i create while being an employee will belong to the company.

All i got from the organization is 1000 $. It seems to me like a joke. I dont own any rights of the invention. I cant sell it. They just took it from me for free.

I am lying on my bed going through topics in this site. And see many of you "free inventors" so excited after inventing and owning the rights, and considering myself as a slave (in comparison to you).

What i need from you guys?... Nothing... just sharing my story or if you wana help ... give me some moral support.

Thanks for your Time.

I really blew this post, part of it is in the post above. I need some sleep been up to long

If I read your story wrong and you created the technology while working there, it's my fault. Iv'e been up for hours working on a project, ( Brain Screwed ) at the moment.
If you sent them the technology before employment, that pisses me off and means they took advantage of you. And hope you have good documentation logged somewhere. Dates,time,month and year.
Now you can see how important the log is. I tend to slack off in this area at times.
I wouldn't rock the boat at this point, you at least have a job at this point. Theres something to be said about that with the way the economy is today.
Over the years I have taken the Pipe & Wazoo team so many times, I decided a long time ago to invent a stainless steel strap on to keep the Pipe & Wazoo team away from me. So far all I have are dents on it. The stainless steel was a good choice.
We all learn from experience . Hang around this site and learn the how too's. I joined a shot time ago and find it to very helpfull. I see the rest of the members have been thru the same frusration,pain, & anger I went thru. I still go thru it at times , but have my strap on just in case
Good Luck
Last edited by Gizmo on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby MOPAR78 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:46 am

MOPAR78
Blue Belt

Man that's unfortunate. In that same situation if you would have done it on the side, I wonder if they would have came after you with a legal team? I guess it would depend on any prior agreements. I'm sure some companies Have contracts you sign to that effect.

Good luck on future ideas.

Postby Iceage » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:13 am

Iceage
White Belt

Thank you guys for your replies. I am overwhelmed thinking "There are people in this world who really care for me".

And Gizmo.. for your questions.....

Yes, i was working with that company (and still working) when i send them my work. Its not actually my job to invent, i am just a java coader in that company. Most of the work i sent to them was done by me during my academics and at home hours. it was done as a hobby, i didnt know and still not sure that i can actually invent. So sent it to them in anticipatition and hope for a beter future.

The 1000 $ i got was an award to me from the company for inventing. I am paid monthy and not on hourly basis. So, even if i work 24 hours a day they will pay me only for 8 hours. And still after 2.5 years of experience my monthly salary is not more than 680 $.

I have worked with many great organizations of the world.. Amex, Barclays and AT&T. I am sure they pay smart money on hourly basis for me. But my own company actually pays a portion of it to me... They call it technology outsourcing

Money is not a question here... Question is ..my future, future of my wife and kid.

Almost every company have that IP agreement in their terms of employment. So, if i need a job i am left with no other option , but to sign it.

Thanks,
Ice

Postby Gizmo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:34 am

Gizmo

Iceage wrote:Thank you guys for your replies. I am overwhelmed thinking "There are people in this world who really care for me".

And Gizmo.. for your questions.....

Yes, i was working with that company (and still working) when i send them my work. Its not actually my job to invent, i am just a java coader in that company. Most of the work i sent to them was done by me during my academics and at home hours. it was done as a hobby, i didnt know and still not sure that i can actually invent. So sent it to them in anticipatition and hope for a beter future.

The 1000 $ i got was an award to me from the company for inventing. I am paid monthy and not on hourly basis. So, even if i work 24 hours a day they will pay me only for 8 hours. And still after 2.5 years of experience my monthly salary is not more than 680 $.

I have worked with many great organizations of the world.. Amex, Barclays and AT&T. I am sure they pay smart money on hourly basis for me. But my own company actually pays a portion of it to me... They call it technology outsourcing

Money is not a question here... Question is ..my future, future of my wife and kid.

Almost every company have that IP agreement in their terms of employment. So, if i need a job i am left with no other option , but to sign it.

Thanks,
Ice

Ice,
Somethings smells fishy here. It sounds like you were bamboozled .
The monthly salary $680.00 even smells fishy.

Postby Iceage » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 am

Iceage
White Belt

Gizmo,

Can you please explain it more clearly, I am unable to understand your comments. I am sorry, as english is not my 1st language.

Thanks
ice
Next