FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:59 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Robbissimo,

Are you that KaBOOM guy who sells cleaning spray?

patents

Postby Roger Brown » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:49 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Robbissimo,

I have to agree with Scrupulous you do sound just like the Kaboom guy. LOL. One thing you didn't consider is the hype of the show is only going to help you if the right company for your product is watching the show and contacts you. Also, that company may consider your idea a lost cause since it was seen by others that might be in the process of working around your design and making their own version.
Once you have done the audition and signed all the papers you are locked into the show until they drop you, correct? If you are picked for the top 6 you can't approach other companies or sign any licensing with them.
Below is a link to a forum I wrote eariler you may want to consider.

viewtopic.php?t=143
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Road Show » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:23 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Robbissimo,

Don't discount the value of a well written patent. It may be true that 97% of issued patents never make money for their inventors, but look at the volume of patent applications, and look at what comes out of the woodwork for a show like American Inventor. Does this make sense now? Every would be inventor with a half baked idea for making a million bucks enters the patent process, very few of them with any idea of the commercial value of their idea. I've heard it said that for every 500 new consumer product ideas, only 25 make it to market testing. Of these, a third are launched nationally, and after ten years only one is still in the marketplace. What I'm getting at is this: with such a high probability for failure, how would you feel if your idea WAS the idea that made it, but you failed to protect it? How many ideas will you have in your lifetime that have the potential for commercial success?

Don't be a dummy about protecting your ideas. Use NDA's until it becomes prudent to enter the patent process.

Good luck, and may the schwartz be with you!

RSG

Postby Scrupulous » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:18 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Roger:

It gets worse. Not only do auditioners actually sign away secrecy rights for the show at square one (protected or not), they are also notified by the same written agreement that the show maintains contact with other affiliates specifically to market new products. The auditioners are given no proof whatsoever that their disclosures have even been seen, nevermind witnessed, by the show (with the exception of the ap cover sheet, which just says they were there). And, they are given no guarantee, that I'm aware of, that the show won't further disclose their ideas. In fact, it's just the opposite.

Yeah, my advice to anyone who took their unprotected work to an AI audition would be to do something else to protect themselves, promptly.

Road Show:

Good point. Even if the actual number was 97%, it doesn't mean that all those unlicensed ideas don't define the commercial landscape. And let's not forget the fact that probably 97% of everything you see on the market today has either been patented, or has acquired patent pending status. You just can't get that with an NDA. A patent is nothing to be afraid of. With more and more practitioners siding with the inventor, it is becoming a realistic and affordable early option. That goes without saying that it becomes more-or-less mandatory at some point anyway. Why not just take control of the situation? For more info, check out my response to this article... http://inventorspot.com/truth_invention_process

Robbissimo:

Remember. A promise is a promise. It's okay. I doubt that anyone here actually believed you were a SuperHero. :wink: We just wanna hear your story.

Postby bottleslingguy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:23 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Hey BoomMan,

Welcome and my humble condolences on your most recent trip through the Abyss. Just remember, adversity builds character.

I felt the same way as you when I compared my invention's potential sales through a retail outlet compared to the Anecia. And to top it off, the Anecia may never see the light of day! Are you kidding me or what? The Anecia needs way more than $50K to develop it. I don't think the testing they did was worth anything because it was still vague by the end of the show. It was way too big to fit in anything other than a Hummer. And it will take a lot of convincing the public that it will not do more harm to your kid. There is a reason why you have to be a certain size to go on amusement park rides. If the show wanted something ready to hit the shelves they should've picked mine.

Reaching only ten percent of my market would net over eight million dollars after one year with an investment of around three quarters of a million dollars. My invention has less liability concerns, takes a minimal learning curve, is eco-friendly, inexpensive to ship- one Anecia weighs more than three hundred of my slings( :?: ). In short, when compared side by side to the Anecia, my invention should have won.

How do you feel about sending a video here to InventorSpotTV?
Previous