FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby annabella » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:33 pm

annabella
White Belt

What a day!

I drove in from Orlando and arrived at 6:15 a.m. There were a couple hundred people already in front of me. We stood in line, which moved oh...so...slowly...until about 12:30 p.m. Then they announced they cut the line off and everyone would need to come back tomorrow. We waited in line until about 2 p.m. to preregister for the next day.

Bummer. I'll be making the drive again in the morning :-)

At least everyone will be well rested and I'll have a bit more time to work on my presentation. :D

---------------------------------------------
Day 2, Tampa

I didn't make it through, but what a neat experience!! I was definitely frustrated that the initial decision was in the hands of just one person. That, plus the fact that you have no idea what they're looking for. Ugh! But, oh yeah, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I received the following feedback: "love the idea, love the presentation, but (1) we're focusing on reducing post consumer waste and your product does not fit that (2) With where we are in the show right now, your product is too similar."

Ok...so, life after American Inventor will involved making my product more environmentally friendly :wink:

Thanks to everyone on the boards for their advice! I truly appreciate it!

Postby Contextion » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:51 pm

Contextion
Blue Belt

Well I went to the auditions and they said no to me. The show is so rigged that they did not let me see the celebrity judges because they knew that my idea was better than the guy they wanted to win. I should have listened to everyone here saying it was a scam but I went with what their site said. No where on their website do they say you have to be an inventor with a sob story just to compete when clearly that was the case unless you were a minority, had a stage act or did not offer competition to who they had prearranged to win. They have false advertisement on their website which cost me 100s of dollars and they should be held liable. Now all I need is help from here to prove what they claim is false. Once I can get my product made then everyone will be able to judge for their self and see how they discriminate. Can someone tell me that company mentioned some where in this forum that only gets 25%?

Tell me why they did not pick my idea when my idea improves a daily routine that everyone does by saving them time, money or or does the job better depending on their method used. It gives people a greater option of other resources to use with their routine and promotes better health than what is currently used. My idea uses a different method to achieve the same results as another product that uses batteries and more expensive resources that gets used at a faster rate. I even demonstrated my different method with a homemade model which proved my idea would work. My invention also gives safety to the user and helps prevent serious injuries old people generally receive. It is not expensive to make my idea and could benefit everyone. American Inventor has done this country an injustice by not advancing my idea since my idea helps the environment, gives users extra safety, saves money & time, improves health and gives a greater variety of choices for preferences all with a cheap plastic mechanical object.
Last edited by Contextion on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Average Inventor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Contextion,

Sorry to hear you had a rough time. Evergreen IP is the company that is very selective but if they like your idea enough they will help you get it licensed for only 25% of you residual income from the product.

Postby Contextion » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:09 pm

Contextion
Blue Belt

I appreciate the quick reply. I meet all the requirements:
* Is your idea in the consumer goods area, especially household goods, personal care, and outdoor?
* Do you have evidence that your product will meet a compelling consumer need?
* Have you done a Google search on your product to see what similar products already exist?
* Is your invention's appeal broad enough to be sold at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Home Depot, or your favorite grocery store?
* Is your invention something OTHER than a toy, game, sports training aid, article of clothing, or new food/drink product?
* Is your invention low-tech? Please note: we don't pursue inventions that are high-tech (medical devices, MP3-related, digital camera related, wireless/bluetooth/cellular, Internet-related, video game, etc.)

I also ordered the required book - Jump Start Your Business Brain
http://product.half.ebay.com/Jump-Start-Your-Business-Brain_W0QQprZ1979231QQtgZinfo

I have a question when X * R * 0.04 > 30,000,000 - X = number of customers that you think are target customers and R = price point of your product at the store times the number of times a year the consumer buys it. Does R , the price point, equal the profit from each item? If you sell one to every American - 300,000,000 - must the profit be greater than $2.50 or just 1/2 of all Americans for a $5 profit or does price point mean something else?

Postby Average Inventor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:26 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Contextion,

In the equation you specify, where is the R is the price point, R never equals the profit. The price point would be the price you need to sell your product at in order to maximize profit.

That's a simple answer. A more detailed explanation would identify how one calculates the price point. It's where the supply and demand curve, for that product intersect. If it intersects below your cost or below the point at which you can become profitable you should not pursue that product. You can also target specific market segments with different price points to further maximize profit.

Postby R Douglas » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:20 am

R Douglas
White Belt

My experience went like this,

I got to the audition at 6:00 am I thought there was only 75 people in front of me but it turned out the line went all the way down the back of the building. I had to wait in line for 8 hours. I finally got in and waited some more then I got seen by Judge C of course. She said they loved my idea but it was not right for the show. I must say I was devastated. I spent a year getting ready for the show and thought like everyone else that I had the best Idea. While I waited on line I met some great people but no one showed there invention. After spending 8 hours with my group on line we decided after we did not make it through we would show each other our inventions. They were floored that I did not make it through all 3 people gave me there # and said when I go to market with this they want to buy it. Which was encouraging but I have gotten that from the 5 other people I showed my Idea to. I can not believe how crushed I was that I did not make it through.

I am a sales guy so I said I will need to go to plan B and Monday morning I did. I called a company that manufactures products that are in the same field as mine. The person I spoke to was very impressed and said you should be very proud of what you have accomplished. He had said no one ever follows through with an idea. So everyone should be proud of what they have accomplished. I am waiting to here back from my potential buyer he said he will contact me by Friday. I am confident he will not want to pass up on my idea.

As for Contextion yes I met all your requirements and then some. I studied every one of the celebrity judges profile so if I got to them there was not way they were saying no. I knew it was all up to round one in this. I must admit that after standing in line for 8 hours my presentation was not the best it could be. I thought my invention would speak for itself but I was wrong.

The good thing is that I did have a plan B and used my sales skills to market this. If you do have a great idea or invention you have to take a shot and market your invention. Pick up the phone and call some companies or investors. You will not make it to market if you do not make the effort.

I have been worried that someone will take my idea but I did file a provisional patent 1 week before the show it only cost $100.00. I do realize now that there is so much more to take an invention to market and most do not have the resources do this. I am still selective about whom I tell my idea to but I will never get this to market if I am worried about everyone stealing my idea.

Bets of luck to everyone and I will keep you updated on my progress.

All your post help me get ready for the show and I thank everyone for your input

Postby Michelle » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Thanks R for sharing your experiences. It's fascinating to see the changes in people, from those with shiny ideas to the eventual progression to seasoned and sophisticated business person/inventor.

We're glad the site and all the terrific inventors here have helped. :)

Postby DaddyMathis » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:00 am

DaddyMathis
Yellow Belt

Contextion wrote:Well I went to the auditions and they said no to me. The show is so rigged that they did not let me see the celebrity judges because they knew that my idea was better than the guy they wanted to win. I should have listened to everyone here saying it was a scam but I went with what their site said. No where on their website do they say you have to be an inventor with a sob story just to compete when clearly that was the case unless you were a minority, had a stage act or did not offer competition to who they had prearranged to win. They have false advertisement on their website which cost me 100s of dollars and they should be held liable. Now all I need is help from here to prove what they claim is false. Once I can get my product made then everyone will be able to judge for their self and see how they discriminate. Can someone tell me that company mentioned some where in this forum that only gets 25%?

Tell me why they did not pick my idea when my idea improves a daily routine that everyone does by saving them time, money or or does the job better depending on their method used.

After being turned down in Houston, I also joined the "Disgruntled Hopefull Inventors Who Spent A Year Getting Ready for American Inventor" Justice League...(We call it D.H.I.W.S.A.Y.G.R.F.A.I. for short). Just kidding.

I was also under the illusion that they were looking for a great product (mine could save hundreds of lives and over 2Billion dollars a year). What we need to remember is that A.I. isn't just about good inventions anymore than "Survivor" is about surviving. I thought that was going to be a cool show when it first came out....drop some people on an island and see who wusses out first. I was dissapointed to learn that they give you some food and tools and it's just a big cultural experiment. (seriously, if you're stranded on an island, you're not going to banish the ex-Navy Seal just because he snores at night or might be a threat to your Million dollars).

But of course, that show wouldn't do very well if they went by the name "Whiny Babies in High School Clicks" now would it. I didn't get much from the experience of auditioning. But I will say that my dream of winning did motivate me to get busy and get my prototype mostly done in time...now I can try to license it to a company who actually wants to sell a product.

Congrats to everyone who tried, and good luck in the future!

Postby grouptri » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:14 pm

grouptri
White Belt

R Douglas wrote:Grouptri,

That was great information.

You are very perceptive to pick up what was going on with the computer girl. That makes alot of sense on what AI is doing.

I read so many different post on this and I did not know what was going on. One person say be prepaired for a no the next person says the first 2 rounds are easy.

This will help me with my planning

Thanks again for your help

Hello all,

Well I had to wait a few days to give you an untainted viewpoint of my AI experience. I arrived at the site at 4:40 and I was in the second wave of inventors to arrive at the front gate, they had already made the previous inventors move because the lines were overflowing into the streets, I was one of the first cars parked at the gate. Once they let us in, there was a mad rush to a parking spot in lot A and B, it was like a start your engines moment at NASCAR when the lot attendant approached the gate.

I maneuvered my way to a parking spot and hurried into the line and had about 50 people in front t of me. One of the AI staff members told us to put our applications in this order: Top sheet, participant app, Invention submission forms and release forms. If there was some one with you, they had to sign another release form and put it on the bottom of your app.

I went through security, they asked me if I needed audio visual support, I said yes so they had me wait in a different line. I cleared check in and then proceeded to my holding area A. The areas were set up A-B-C-D etc.

While I was waiting I saw some of the inventors that made it through to the next round, they had them come out and hold up their invention beside their number. It seemed that every invention was small and simple, and it was something that would only take about $5-$10 to produce in mass quantities. One was a belt that rapped around your shoulder and waist and another was a holder for products like a bag of sunflower seeds that one would see while in the check out line of a store.

I got called in and as expected there was a young mid twenties judge/producer, a camera with operator and a lady behind a computer. He asked me a lot about my invention, along with what inspired me and if I got the $50, 000 what would I do with it. I was forewarned that I needed to be a personality so I came in with that mindset; having done stand up I had them in stitches laughing! I must inject here that I gave them my top sheet before they did anything, and they do not even see the rest of your application. I noticed that all the questions he asked earlier were prior to getting a signal from the computer person. After that signal, everything went down hill. He said its not you, we like you but we are going to have to pass on your invention. It seems that they submit you information into a systems that gives the probability of your product being a mass production hit.

So I left and said thank you and they were both professional and kind, wanting to say yes but I didn't meet the benchmarking criteria that they had to go by, which I'm assuming was produced by the data they entered into the computer.

Of course they didn't tell me this but I figured it out after I went through a second time. I filled out two applications in case they lost one, so feeling like I had another chance I came back a few hours later and changed my top sheet and adding my other idea to my app.

After submitting my app, I was told that they would be finishing up the auditions the next morning at 8:30 am. I arrived to a much tamer environment and things moved briskly. I got in and was asked do I need audio support? This Time I said no because I didn't want the same judges; and I was right, the judges were assigned the same letters, the previous day I had A, this day I had room B. I walked in and it was the same set up, with different faces. I pitched my first idea again which is my patented golf ball marker www.trimarkgolf.com and then I gave them my other idea that I had thrown together over night. It was the same deal, she listened intently until she looked over to the person on the computer and they gave a signal, after that I could tell she wanted me to say what I had to say so she could hand me that little piece of paper, stating that airline tag line “I was free to move about the country", with my invention.

The second invention was what I was pitching when I got the blank stare, the second invention was something simple that I don't think they paid much attention to since they figured I was pitching my first invention because I thought it was the best. I could be wrong they may have entered the info for it. The judge did say I have a solid invention and that it would appeal to a high end golf consumer, which I already knew but like everybody else I wanted the exposure.

The judges that said no to me the previous day were in the next section to my right and they said yes to a gentleman that was from a country in Africa. This dispelled my belief that they didn't choose me the prior day because I am a clean cut professional and I don't fit the rags to riches profile they are looking for. Although this may be true, this gentleman had a suit on and a heavy accent. I guess Janus from last year has influenced them to continue the trend of immigrants from other countries as a good story line.

I have to say that I am thankful to the show for giving me a reason to push myself and get to a point where I realized I don't need them to make my product a success. All of the information that I have learned in putting together a top notch business plan with detailed financials has given me the knowledge to launch my product to the world. So it wasn't failure only feedback , and I hop you take the same attitude if you decide to audition.
:wink:

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Richard
White Belt

I din't get through either, but only one at Tampa will. I'd likke to have had my invention seen on T.V., but iit wasn't what they were looking for. This is the last city and the two CA cities in my opinion had the best chances. By the time Tampa came they already were overloaded. Some of the inventions were chosen for T.V. showing not merit.
Previous