FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderator: citizen

New Site Forum Upgrade

Postby Michelle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

For those we have not already noticed, we have upgraded our site's forum software.
Hopefully, it will take care of alot of the limitations and frustrations of the prior forum format.
Please let us know if there are any problems or suggestions for improvement.

Thanks,

Michelle

Re: New Site Forum Upgrade

Postby admin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

New users of the site can proceed to register for an account and fill out your profile.

Returning users should review the following notes:

1) Account Credentials. The account credentials with the news site [url]InventorSpot.com[/url] are now separate. You will need to log into each site to post. If you just post to the forums, just log in and post.

2) Private messaging. Private messaging has been separated from the main site. A new private messaging system is available in the forums. If you have private messages at the InventorSpot news site, they will still be there, but you will need to log into the other site to see them.

3) Signatures. The old signatures allowed HTML for formatting. The new signatures only allow BBCode. You will need to update the signature in your profile.

4) User Control Panel. The phpBB UCP is now standard with this site. Please review your profile and make any changes that you may need.

5) Image Uploading. Image uploading to forum posts is not available at this time. We will make it available by special request soon.

Postby CriterionD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:54 am

CriterionD
Blue Belt

I haven't noticed any function-based differences yet, but the design looks great.

Postby inventor-x » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:19 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

To admin
In my opinion this new format is NOT user friendly :x
Why is ask the Inventor topic at the bottom of the page :?:
This new format wiped out all of my old personal messages :x
Sending a personal message is difficult, it takes many attempts to send (1) message :x
No offense to anyone but is the website ARIBIC now :?:
If this is an American website - In America WE read from Left to Right :?:
Why are the avatar pictures on the Right & not the Left :?:
In my opinion this new format is ACC BACKWARDS & SOOKS :x
Last edited by inventor-x on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby StephenKey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

I am new to this forum, but in my opinion, it's fine. Great design.
Award Winning Inventor Stephen Key - http://www.inventright.com
Stephen's new book "One Simple Idea" from McGraw-Hill is available in stores nationwide as well as online.

Postby mojo62 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:04 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Not much difference to me, just have to get used to the changes! :)

Postby Michelle » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

inventor-x wrote:To admin
In my opinion this new format is NOT user friendly :x
Sending a personal message is difficult, it takes many attempts to send (1) message :x
If this is an American website - In America WE read from Left to Right :?:
In my opinion this new format is ACC BACKWARDS & SOOKS :x

Hi Inventor-X:

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Tony no longer blogs regularly for us so I thought it best to move it to the archives. There is valuable information there, but not being regularly updated. What I can do instead is change the reference to Tony and just make it more generic so it is not out of date. Would that be better?

We apologize for that. We should have done better notifying people before moving the site over to the new software. We were having so many problems with the old one that we needed to replace it. Due to the move, everyone lost their PMs. We are really sorry for the inconvenience and for not letting you know before the change happened. We were so focused on the forum content, we plain old forgot to even think about folks having valuable private messages. Again, we are REALLY sorry. :oops:

If this is an American website - In America [WE/i] read from Left to Right :?:
In my opinion this new format is [i]ACC BACKWARDS & SOOKS
:x[/quote]

We had gotten requests to move the avatars to the right. This way, for those with small screens, you can read the posts without having to scroll to the right everytime you open a post. It feels a little weird at first, but we hope you get used to it and like it. I know it does help the folks with the smaller screens from having to scroll to read the posts constantly.

Thanks again for the feedback. As always, we do try to take very seriously the suggestions of our member.

Michelle

Postby CriterionD » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:28 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Now, the formatting on the latest forum posts/article boxes, and the top of each page in general, is a little off. Probably an easy fix.

Postby inventor-x » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:30 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi Michelle

You have made some settle changes to the new format that has Improved some of the user friendly Issues.

We had gotten requests to move the avatars to the right. This way, for those with small screens, you can read the posts without having to scroll to the right everytime you open a post. It feels a little weird at first, but we hope you get used to it and like it. I know it does help the folks with the smaller screens from having to scroll to read the posts constantly.

The needs of the few out weigh the needs of the many.

That is to be expected with this website.

NO Inventor website store that would benefit the needs of the many to save the work of the few.

I understand why you have the avatar on the far Right ONLY to make it convenient for the ones that use MOBILE communication devices, who & which none of the regulars on this forum use, accept for maybe you.

The ONLY benefit I see with this new format is the fact that the members that enroll to post messages, are actually posting messages.

Excuse me if I sound alittle harsh but I’m disappointed with you & the website.

This website has so much potential that is being wasted away that could help & benefit the many.

Postby admin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:23 pm

admin
Yellow Belt

Inventor-X,

You have made some settle changes to the new format ... The needs of the few out weigh the needs of the many. ...

Nearly all of our feedback on the changes has been very positive.

We've had exactly one complaint--yours--about switching the forum body text and avatars. Most people find the change a minor. We're using the default theme for phpBB 3.0 with some minor additions for branding purposes, but it's really all very standard. The avatars on the right is standard behavior in the new phpBB default theme.

Updating our forums to run the latest release allows us to pick up modern features that people see elsewhere. No new features were being added to the legacy release we used before. And staying too far behind has its own set of problems, not the least of which is that the software is no longer supported.

We try very hard to meet the needs of the users of this site and the overall design should keep most people happy. We're sorry that you don't like the changes, but we've found that most people do. We haven't gone against the wishes of most of our users as you imply. But we do have to make decisions about things and move forward.

NO Inventor website store that would benefit the needs of the many to save the work of the few.

You mention that we do not run an inventor store for the benefit of the inventors here. This comment is really a separate issue from the site formatting. The InventorSpot management team has discussed the idea of building an online store, but at the moment we're not doing so because it doesn't make business sense for us. We do think it would be useful to inventors, but we're not ready to provide that at this time.
Roger Simmons
Webmaster InventorSpot Forum and InventorSpot
Next