FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderator: Scrupulous

Should there be a way of stopping arguments on the forum?

A register of p....d offness that when a critical number is reached,the named thread is shut-down and a relevant new thread started.
No votes
A register of complaints against posters.
No votes
A register of complaints against topics.
No votes
Maybe a 3 warnings and you're off,suspended from posting for a month.
No votes
Suggest an alternative option.
No votes
Isn't a problem.
No votes

Total votes : 0

Argument prevention/stopping procedure

Postby abacus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:09 am

abacus
Green Belt

Regardless of loyalties,Would it not be a good idea for there to be some procedure to lock out argument matches on the forum?
They have become so tedious,take up space,are never ressolved,are a turn-off,and interupt the flow and exchange of information.

Maybe a 3 warnings and you're off,suspended from posting for a month.

Maybe a register of tedium,where people can register their sense of tedium,and if enough people register,the topic is shut down,and a new related thread is set up.

Something.

Re: Argument prevention/stopping procedure

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:56 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Abacus, this would not be the first time things have flared up around here...and certainly not the worst.

Notwithstanding how it turns some off, sometimes it's appropriate, if not necessary.

Look back to some of the times tempers have flared on these forum, and you will find there were legitimate gripes being diffused. Most often, those gripes have to do with the basic concerns or aspirations many of us have for the invention "industry"...if you will.

The Terms of Use for I-Spot are available to anyone here, at the touch of a button. I will do my best to make sure that they are observed in their proper context. Beyond that, some would say this is what it's all about...

Postby abacus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:07 am

abacus
Green Belt

It gets really tedious,Scrup.

What about agreeing to disagree-some protocol like that.This banging on.

If someone is spamming or fishing root them out,but if an argument is very localised what about them going into a new thread and sorting it out there.Like a'let's take this outside'thing.

I'm all for vigourous debate when it's useful,but when it's about other peoples' insecurities,who cant agree to disagree[why not?],It's a dead tedious duck,and is very off-putting.

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:23 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Right.

Off-putting it can be...

And if a disagreement flares up and goes way off-topic, someone will step in and recover the situation. But, if it's germane to the posted topic, then I say knock yourself out. There is enough bullsh!t floating around in the seas of invention. Members at I-Spot will be the first to call it what it is.

By the way, I don't mind good-natured conversations that veer off wildly from the original topic, as long as the original topic gets addressed first. The reason I don't mind is because inventors don't think like everbody else. They often don't do well in confined situations, either. Letting a topic stray or take on a "mind of its own" is part of the creative process.

I hope that addresses your concerns, abacus.

Postby abacus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:32 am

abacus
Green Belt

Yeah,Scrupulous,thanks,and if I cant stand the heat in the oven,I can always move into the kitchen.

Postby inventor-x » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

You have to allow all dialog even negative dialog to get to the end result leading to the truth by covering both pro's & con's of a particular situation :lol: