FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Postby JTSpangler » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:44 pm

JTSpangler
White Belt

I am a Registered Patent Agent who has filed a complaint (available on my website) with the USPTO against LegalZoom for what I consider to be their false and misleading ads about provisional patents and design patents.

In particular, I object to the text over an actor in their TV ad posing as an inventor which reads "obtained a provisional patent", but there is no such thing. Their website atwww.LegalZoom.com stated that there are "unlimited renewals" for design patents, but they are not renewable.

These representations to the public are false and misleading, especially in the context of a "registered and bonded legal document assistant" offering patent application guidance to pro se citizens. Robert Shapiro should stick to what he does best-- walking alleged murderers.

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Well said, JTSpangler.

Legal Zoom

Postby NewProductInventor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:22 pm

NewProductInventor
White Belt

I've heard a lot of good things about legalzoom.com but have never used them. I prefer to write my own and have them reviewed by a patent attorney who specializes in the particular industry I am targeting. I would highly advise against using just any patent attorney. Find a patent attorney that has experience with your type of product. They will ultimately save you a lot of time and money as well as give you a stronger patent.

Re: Legal Zoom 24Hr Patent Use PatentMatch.com they are real

Postby Patent_Attorney » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Patent_Attorney
Green Belt

InventorToday wrote:I have been inventing things for 30 years. Once I discovered I could file a provisional patent I started using that to protect my new inventions.

I tried Legal Zoom and by the time I was done it Cost $480. They use a low teaser rate in their Ads much less then this. It took 3 months to get a patent pending number and receipt of the filing. They were constantly trying to get me to buy an expensive search and expensive drawings. Also they had some kind of patent review for $800.

When I would call LegalZoom.com the customer service was just horrible.

I tired 24hrpatent.com and things got much worse. They do not really have anyone there. This must be some kind of web site front for a non patent attorney business. There was no patent attorneys or patent experts. I asked to have the name of my patent attorney and they said they do not do that, this was emailed to me. Emails sent to them would get a response days or weeks later. The 24 hour turn around time turned out to be 2 weeks. I wonder what they actually sent in because they would not provide that when I asked.

So again I searched for a provisional filing service that was reputable. I found PatentMatch.com This is a Real Patent Attorney. He filed my provisional patent within 2 hours of submitting the documents to the web site. I was provided with all the documents and filing receipt from the US patent office showing this was all done within 2 hours. I called the 800 TOLL FREE number making sure this was a real person and the patent attorney answered the phone and spoke with me for at least an hour without a fee. Also I tired the chat online on the web site to ask some quick questions and it worked great.

For $79 plus the $105 US filing fee I had an actual provisional patent filed by a patent attorney from PatentMatch.com.

Also patentmatch.com will help with the regular non provisional patent application and licensing later on.

Thanks for the help Patent Match, I will be sending all my work to you.

Sincerely, George Wells.

Sounds like he had the secratary do the work. I can file a provisional in 5 minutes with the USPTO. The key is the content and not just getting a worthless provisional number with no true protection. A provisional is required to follow all rules of a regular utility patent, BUT it is not examined. However, during litigation a patent can be invalidated for FRAUD UPON THE PATENT OFFICE for failing to provide support for the later filed utility.

WARNING you get what you pay for

Postby JTSpangler » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:51 pm

JTSpangler
White Belt

Update on my LegalZoom complaint: the PTO returned my complaint without action because I was not a "customer" or their representative under the statute establishing invetnion promotion complaints. But I stand by my view that Shapiro's ads are misleading and deceptive. There is no such thing as a "provisional patent" and design patents are not renewable.

As for the importance of filing a fully enabling provisional, see an article I co-authored at www.ArlingtonBar.org. If inventors insist on doing it themselves, a good resource is Patent Attorney Michael Neustel's website with software which guides you through the drafting process. Go to www.NeustelSoftware.com.

Postby Patent_Attorney » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:22 am

Patent_Attorney
Green Belt

JTSpangler wrote:Update on my LegalZoom complaint: the PTO returned my complaint without action because I was not a "customer" or their representative under the statute establishing invetnion promotion complaints. But I stand by my view that Shapiro's ads are misleading and deceptive. There is no such thing as a "provisional patent" and design patents are not renewable.

As for the importance of filing a fully enabling provisional, see an article I co-authored at www.ArlingtonBar.org. If inventors insist on doing it themselves, a good resource is Patent Attorney Michael Neustel's website with software which guides you through the drafting process. Go to www.NeustelSoftware.com.

I am glad to see that it is clear that using LegalZoom to save a couple hundred in fees leaves you with a non-enabling provisional that is mostly junk. A well writtel provisional should be 30-50% of the cost of a utility application to draft or it is poorly written.

Neustel or Patent Wizard and 24hourPatents.com LegalZoom.com

Postby PhilSalmond » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:54 pm

PhilSalmond
White Belt

My Name is Phil

I wanted to file a provisional patent quickly. I saw Neustel or Patent Wizard they sell software is what I found, 24 hourpatents.com and now out of business for patents Legal Zoom.
After researching information on the internet I found www.patentmatch.net. This is a real patent attorney. I found the entire experience helpful. I filed my provisional patent with him and I hope to take my invention to the next step.

Re: LegalZoom

Postby capt wrongway » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:14 am

capt wrongway
White Belt

to zimexlady..

As long as you have at least patent pending, you should submit your invention info to anyone and everyone. This is the only way you will ever sell it.

After irritating the shxx out of 24hrpatent, I can tell you where your information is.

Here is the game; they have relationships with buyers in several retail categories (like Lowes, whom I have spoken with). However, if the buyer doesn't give them the time of day for the product, it wont go anywhere. You should also know, you better be prepared to manufacture and sell out of your garage if necessary. I went to a big tradeshow in Dallas for one of my products and learned that these buyers (many of which 24hrpatent uses)filter through new products on a regular basis, none of which were looking to buy the inventor out. They were all just looking to buy finished products for their shelves.

On a side note; I am beginning to put together quite a list of active product buyers and hope to begin a website of my own soon for inventors with new products. I will keep you posted.

Cheers!

Re: LegalZoom

Postby JTSpangler » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:41 pm

JTSpangler
White Belt

Another update on LegalZoom ad: I just noticed that Bob Shapiro's TV ad has been revised so that the misleading text "obtained a provisional patent" (no such thing) now correctly reads "filed a provisional application for patent". I'd still caution inventors against any provisional costing less than $1000. The provisional is often the most important application for a family of patents, and if it's not carefully prepared, you may lose important rights later. See an article I co-authored at www.brightfuse.com/jeffrey-spangler-3/projects.

Re: Patentmatch VS 24hrpatent.com

Postby capt wrongway » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:21 pm

capt wrongway
White Belt

George

I think you are way off base and your entry should be deleted by Michelle. This forum is for inventors and not companies to promote themselves.

You are accusing other firms of wrong doing and breaking the law. Your comments are slanderous and hopefully removed. I have received several patents in the last 20 years and have great admiration for companies like 24hrpatent.com and legal zoom. These guys forced the industry to re-think their pricing and be more competitive in their space. I recently received a full patent from 24hrpatent.com on my product Ironswipe at a cost of under 1500$. My first patent (before these online fast filing firms arrived) cost me 9000$ (for a product called Cellulite).
I met a fellow inventor who invented a fantastic dog life vest, used 24hrpatent, and was issued his full utility patent in 9 months! That is unheard of.

I attend many invention conferences and have seen 24hrpatent at several (well 2), including the annual conference at the US Patent office, but have never seen or heard of patentmatch. As you should know from my previous posts, I have met attorneys that work for them and have yet to find people as knowledgeable about product protection and placement. I read Legal Zoom was out of the patent filing business for a while but understand they are back in, which is good. I use them to will my inventions to my kids!

Happy inventing everyone and remember...anyone can invent, few can sell. Don't try and do it all yourself!
PreviousNext